Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    sub fusc
    This might sound stupid but what is a sub fusc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoire)
    i'm imagining it all being neatly laid out on your bed when you arrived, just like hogwarts :lol:
    I wish I was psychic just so I could count how many people hum the Harry Potter theme tune in their heads the first time they put on their gowns. I'll blatantly be prancing around my room waving a pencil and shouting "expelliarmus!"

ReputationRep:
    I'm so very very late to this thread, but any biologists/ balliol people floating around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    I wish I was psychic just so I could count how many people hum the Harry Potter theme tune in their heads the first time they put on their gowns. I'll blatantly be prancing around my room waving a pencil and shouting "expelliarmus!"
    the oxford gowns are quite disappointing (in comparison to cambridge's... but shh) but i still got wayyy too excited about mine. the best was during my exams (you have to wear sub fusc for your exams) because exam schools (where you sit them) is VERY hogwartsy, and a massive room, enough like the great hall to make me get excited, was full of people in sub fusc. there was a moment when a guy in a scholar's gown walked past me and i was all fangiry and childish and "OMG SNAPE" (the scholars gown is full-length, proper harry potter)

(Original post by soutioirsim)
    This might sound stupid but what is a sub fusc?
    sub fusc is the clothes you wear under the gown, iirc. for men it's a dark suit, white shirt and white bow tie (i think? didn't look that closely at the boys at matriculation haha) and gown and mortar board and for women it's a black skirt/trousers, black tights, white shirt, black ribbon, gown and mortar board (think you can also wear a soft cap if you're a woman). you have to wear your full subfusc for matriculation at the start of your degree, and also for your exams. gowns are worn for some college's formal hall, meetings with the head of the college etc.

ReputationRep:
    Very rare to see a neg rep on this thread... maybe it was a stray Durham applicant

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why you've been negged....I can't even pos rep you because once again I've run out of rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgovernjon)
    Very rare to see a neg rep on this thread... maybe it was a stray Durham applicant
    (Original post by Salliana23)
    I really don't understand why you've been negged....I can't even pos rep you because once again I've run out of rep
    Haha, maybe someone really hates Harry Potter? I've been negged for some really random stuff before.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, maybe someone really hates Harry Potter? I've been negged for some really random stuff before.
    A few weeks ago I got a random message saying "I'm neg repping you because my parents made me work hard at school." But nobody had neg repped me. Mysterious... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgovernjon)
    A few weeks ago I got a random message saying "I'm neg repping you because my parents made me work hard at school." But nobody had neg repped me. Mysterious... :holmes:
    Very strange indeed.
    We need a chin stroking smiley.

ReputationRep:
    Very strange indeed.
    We need a chin stroking smiley.
    This conundrum is beyond mere chin stroking; it is quite a three pipe problem.

ReputationRep:
    Was having some injections today. The nurse was chatting to me to put me at ease (she's also a vague family friend) and she asked me what I was doing at uni, just as the needle was about to go in. I said 'PPE at Oxford'. She then missed and went straight through a blood vessel! First time she'd ever done that :P

ReputationRep:
    I've just returned from a three day holiday in Oxford with my family. I am so excited now!!! I can't wait any longer. An awful lot of work to be done now, though. An awful lot. But still...Lincoln is worth it, definitely. The Radcliffe camera...omg I've just fallen in love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norbertnorbert)
    Was having some injections today. The nurse was chatting to me to put me at ease (she's also a vague family friend) and she asked me what I was doing at uni, just as the needle was about to go in. I said 'PPE at Oxford'. She then missed and went straight through a blood vessel! First time she'd ever done that :P
    Ouch! That sounds quite painful! Are you okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norbertnorbert)
    Oh my god! I was having blood taken from me today and I purposely didn't tell them where I was going for that reason

ReputationRep:
    At the AFCO today enquiring about UOTC: 'Which university are you off to mate?'

'Oxford.'

-flicker of widened eyes-

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if this is acceptable as a toaster, or do I have to settle for boring toast all the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Does anybody know if this is acceptable as a toaster, or do I have to settle for boring toast all the time?
    We're not allowed toasters in our rooms at all; I don't know whether this is a uni-wide policy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel*)
    Ouch! That sounds quite painful! Are you okay?
    I'm OK now it's perfectly harmless, just got a bit of a sore arm :P Going to keep completely silent and still in all future injections!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    We're not allowed toasters in our rooms at all; I don't know whether this is a uni-wide policy though.
    Ah right. I'm sure ChCh says that we can have a toaster and a kettle in our rooms because we have no access to cooking facilities. Hmm..

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the college - although some people just bring them anyway and hide them under the bed when the scout comes...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.