The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NedStark
King's for me. It was a toss up between St. John's and King's but I made my mind up in the end! What about you?

Haha, King's as well.
At first, I wasn't sure if I should apply to King's (one time I was told that they don't like students from independent schools but then I talked to the Headmistress and Head of 6th Form and they assured me it doesn't really matter).
So well, assuming I get the interview and don't get pooled anywhere welse, we may meet. :tongue:
Reply 1201
King's for me. It was a toss up between St. John's and King's but I made my mind up in the end! What about you?

Original post by purplemind
Haha, King's as well.
At first, I wasn't sure if I should apply to King's (one time I was told that they don't like students from independent schools but then I talked to the Headmistress and Head of 6th Form and they assured me it doesn't really matter).
So well, assuming I get the interview and don't get pooled anywhere welse, we may meet. :tongue:

I'm applying for King's as well, and so are a few guys from my school. It's going to be competitive this year, but hopefully we will get pooled even if we don't get our first choice.

Also, Ned, I'm doing the same thing as you will the 4 risky options and Bristol as my 5th. Hopefully it will pay off! :rolleyes:
Reply 1202
Original post by Giant
I'm applying for King's as well, and so are a few guys from my school. It's going to be competitive this year, but hopefully we will get pooled even if we don't get our first choice.

Also, Ned, I'm doing the same thing as you will the 4 risky options and Bristol as my 5th. Hopefully it will pay off! :rolleyes:

I think you mean Lord Stark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1203
Original post by amg_22
I think you mean Lord Stark

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course,

Lord Eddard of the House Stark of Winterfell
Original post by Giant

I don't know how true it is but my teacher said it's an advantage for me that I'm a girl as some unis want to have more less equal numbers of students of both genders. :tongue:
Haha, King's as well.

Looks very competitive this year. I'm sure I'll get the interview, maybe even pooled but I'm not expecting an offer. Far from it to be honest. It's more of a "I can sleep peacefully knowing I tried" thing. It's scary how we've chosen the exact same places. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the same subjects. (Maths, FM, Econ, Physics)?

Original post by Giant

I'm sure you'll get into one of the four. You've got a solid set of GCSEs, which they seem to be looking for nowadays. But worst comes to worst, Bristol's a solid choice (in my opinion) so it can only end well...or terribly awful. :smile:
Looks very competitive this year. I'm sure I'll get the interview, maybe even pooled but I'm not expecting an offer. Far from it to be honest. It's more of a "I can sleep peacefully knowing I tried" thing. It's scary how we've chosen the exact same places. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the same subjects. (Maths, FM, Econ, Physics)?

Why? I guess you have awesome GCSEs and AS Levels. Be confinent. Who wants it most gets it! :smile:
Unfortunately not. I'm not doing Physics (it's the same block as Economics in my school and that was just impossible. But I'm doing Maths, FM, Econ, Chem. :tongue:
I don't know how true it is but my teacher said it's an advantage for me that I'm a girl as some unis want to have more less equal numbers of students of both genders. :tongue:

There's a chance I'm wrong since I'm just a sixth former and your teachers have been doing university applications for years.

But I really don't think that's true, most universities specifically state they don't take race, gender etc. into account.

My teacher said something like this aswell, that you have more chance in the pool since there are girl-only colleges
Why? I guess you have awesome GCSEs and AS Levels. Be confinent. Who wants it most gets it! :smile:
Unfortunately not. I'm not doing Physics (it's the same block as Economics in my school and that was just impossible. But I'm doing Maths, FM, Econ, Chem. :tongue:

Even more suspiciously, I was meant to be doing Chemistry since Physics was in the same block (my school call it pool) as Economics. On results day I was actually going to choose Chemistry until a random teacher, who now is my Physics teacher, told me to take Physics since Chem is harder. Obviously I couldn't but just like a miracle, the pools remained the same except for one subject. Physics was moved into the Chem pool. :biggrin:

My GCSEs are good, in my opinion they are but I don't think they are up to LSE standards.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
My teacher said something like this aswell, that you have more chance in the pool since there are girl-only colleges

Haha, that is actually true in this case. :tongue:
But I wouldn't like to be in a girl-only college after 2 years of being in such a school. :redface:
Even more suspiciously, I was meant to be doing Chemistry since Physics was in the same block (my school call it pool) as Economics. On results day I was actually going to choose Chemistry until a random teacher, who now is my Physics teacher, told me to take Physics since Chem is harder. Obviously I couldn't but just like a miracle, the pools remained the same except for one subject. Physics was moved into the Chem pool. :biggrin:

I see. I wasn't at this school when they were asking former Year 11 about subject. So well, when I came here, I was doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and FM (that's a long story why xD). After a month, I changed Physics to Economics as it was the only was I could do Economics. :smile: I liked Physics but there was just no way to do both subjects.
Reply 1211

I'm sure you'll get into one of the four. You've got a solid set of GCSEs, which they seem to be looking for nowadays. But worst comes to worst, Bristol's a solid choice (in my opinion) so it can only end well...or terribly awful. :smile:

Hopefully :smile:

Any two of those five would be good
Reply 1212
Any tips on talking to your teacher about changing predicted grades?

Going to at least try get a B bumped to an A, but not really sure what to say to the teacher when i bump into him for my lessons :redface:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

There's a chance I'm wrong since I'm just a sixth former and your teachers have been doing university applications for years.

But I really don't think that's true, most universities specifically state they don't take race, gender etc. into account.

Definitely for the reasons Boywonder has mentioned :yep: which is why it's pretty dumb to apply to a girls' college to increase your chances.

For the other reason, I'm not sure, I've heard a tutor say that he wanted the girls at his college, but I'm not ate if he was (a) joking or (b) serious but taking about the girls who would be taken at the university and just wanted to ensure they were at his college.
Original post by Jkizer
Any tips on talking to your teacher about changing predicted grades?

Going to at least try get a B bumped to an A, but not really sure what to say to the teacher when i bump into him for my lessons :redface:

Tell him you'll work really hard and thy you really really need the increased predictions I get into a better university
Original post by Fas
Hey,

am i ok to ask you a little bit about how sensible my options are?

basically i got 3A*'s and 6A's at GCSE and AABB at AS ( 90% in Maths ) and the other A in history , one mark off an A in economics

predicted A*AA but im applying to Warwick ( 100% chance of rejection but my parents are INSISTING i apply ) bath, nottingham , durham and york

how sensible are they as options would you say ? i know Warwick is crazy , but the problem is Bath nottingham and durham are all A*AA for entry which i am predicted but i dunno if theres a strong chance they will all reject me ?

any thoughts appreciated ! :smile:

Just remind me to reply to this, don't want to forget! (just a bit busy ATM, I'll reply ASAP)
Reply 1216
Original post by tooambitious
Tell him you'll work really hard and thy you really really need the increased predictions I get into a better university

Thanks! I think the hardest bit will actually be confronting him, and asking.... (Even though i have no idea what the opening sentence will be!)
Original post by JOR2010
This is not true. I know UCL give offers to people with AABB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

if this is true..... dear god do i love you for saying that
Just remind me to reply to this, don't want to forget! (just a bit busy ATM, I'll reply ASAP)

haha yeah will do :tongue:

just reminding you :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending