Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Biology F212 Revision [3rd June 2013] (Now Closed) Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you feel the F212 exam went?
    Awesome
    9.46%
    Good
    33.78%
    Okay
    35.81%
    Bad
    10.81%
    Rubbish
    5.41%
    Not Sure
    4.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kits)
    doods

is outlining the process of atherosclerosis on the spec?

if it is it seems like its something they might ask tbh
    Yeah i think you need to know how an atheroma forms, it won't be worth many marks if it does come up though. All you can really say is damage in the artery walls means that a LDL's collect, causing a blood clot to form as the RBC's stick together narrowing the width of the lumen.

ReputationRep:
    Is it likely that a testing enzyme ability will come up ie the ph or temperature ? or something . . I hate those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiwami)
    Yep that's right )

What has been your method of revision?
    Just lots of past papers and using the specification to make notes, i find using that really helps you to make sure you don't miss anything out of your revision and i apologise i forgot to ask a question
    What are the effects of Carbon monoxide on the body

ReputationRep:
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ! :bumps:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssflcb)
    Is it likely that a testing enzyme ability will come up ie the ph or temperature ? or something . . I hate those
    I think there has been like a 7 mark question on that in 2009 and maybe in jan 2013 as well so may be a bit unlikely to come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello...)
    Just lots of past papers and using the specification to make notes, i find using that really helps you to make sure you don't miss anything out of your revision and i apologise i forgot to ask a question
    Reduces oxygen carrying capacity of red blood cells as it irreversibly binds to haemoglobin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kits)
    doods

is outlining the process of atherosclerosis on the spec?

if it is it seems like its something they might ask tbh
    Yes I think it is

Artherosclerosis is a cardiovascular disease
    Caused by the narrowing of the arteries due to a build up of cholestrol or fatty substances which restricts blood flow causing hypertension and artheroma
    This happens when nicotine levels rise and platelets form causing a build up
    Carbon monoxide damage the inner lining of the arteries which encourages the growth of smooth muscle and fatty substances

I hope this question doesn't come up lol

ReputationRep:
    exact definition of endangered species ?

ReputationRep:
    I've been revising simply from the CGP revision guide, but I've noticed that the official Heinemann textbook has quite a bit more detail. Is everything I need to know covered in the CGP guide, or should I get started on the Heinemann textbook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Majeue)
    Reduces oxygen carrying capacity of red blood cells as it irreversibly binds to haemoglobin
    Yes, it also combines more readily with haemoglobin than oxygen does, the body will detect a lower amount of oxygen which may increase the heart rate... it can also damage the endothelium of the arteries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juliajuliajulia)
    Have you done all the past papers? If yes I'd say circle the bits you found particularly difficult and write some last minute flash cards of longer answers (basically learn the markscheme for a few) because knowing how to answer then could bag you 12 ish marks in the paper assuming there's a couple of long ones. If no look at the mark schemes for the long ones.

Alsooo I always go over the specification the night before highlighting annoying I don't want there to be a question on and then looking over it- finding any q's in the past. Papers.

Lol dunno if it will pay off!

Anyway:
    STARCH is a storage polysaccharide in plants. It's made up of AMYLOSE and AMYLOPECTIN. It's insoluble so does not affect the water potential of a cell and forms granules.

AMYLOSE is made up of alpha glucose. It forms a helical structure. It is a straight chained molecule of 1-6 glycosidic bonds. It is insoluble.

AMYLOPECTIN is also made up of alpha glucose. But it is a branched molecule, with 1-6 glycosidic bonds and 1-4 glycosidic bonds. Apparently it's soluble- according to Wikipedia and also apparently it's 70% of starch so I'm not really sure why starch is insoluble all together, but hey I'm just gonna accept it- anyone?

GLYCOGEN is the animal equivalent of starch- store of glucose. Similar molecule to amylopectin it is a highly branched alpha glucose polysaccharide with 1-6 and 1-4 glycosidic bonds. When talking about function remember its insoluble, doesn't affect water potential of cell and glucose monomers can easily be broken off by hydrolysis reactions and respired to release energy. Also it's a dense energy store.
    X
    HUH? i thought amylose is made up of 1-4 gycosidic bonds? *pulls at hair* I'm so not prepared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick_095)
    I've been revising simply from the CGP revision guide, but I've noticed that the official Heinemann textbook has quite a bit more detail. Is everything I need to know covered in the CGP guide, or should I get started on the Heinemann textbook?
    I am scared now , i have used cgp too

ReputationRep:
    Same I did all of the past papers and the spec notes! But the content is so large I feel like I don't know enough :/

lol it's okay

Carbon monoxide combines with heamoglobin to form carboxyheamoglobin which disallows there to be enough oxygen for the cardiac muscle causing a heart attack.
    It also means that their heart rate will rise and they feel more fatigue

CO damages the lining of the arteries which makes it more difficult to breath as the smooth muscle is enlarged and this encourages there to be fatty deposits on the arteries - narrower lumen - artheroma

You don't have to ask me a question after this one...I think it's time I call it a day

Here's yours though,

How does speciation occur?

ReputationRep:
    some help on the immune response please
    i`m confused with action of T and B lymphocytes

ReputationRep:
    Same, i used CGP and my text book, don't worry i'm pretty sure almost everything is covered in CGP, but maybe not always to the amount of detail needed

ReputationRep:
    Well let's just hope it's nothing like the June 2012 exam, good luck everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same here, if you look into the Heinemann book there is so much for each section.

ReputationRep:
    Amylose has 1,4 bonds not 1,6 bonds
    Pahaha awks thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick_095)
    Same here, if you look into the Heinemann book there is so much for each section.
    I dont think i can learn anymore though

ReputationRep:
    I dont think i can learn anymore though
    I've only used the CGP and scored an A in the mock. The Textbook includes some stuff that is not relevant, hence why its quite thick haha.

Good luck to Everyone Tomorrow!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.