Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! So I after much thinking, I have decided to apply for Secondary MFL PGCE! I'm currently writing my personal statement and my personal tutor will be my principal reference.

I am really confused about the secondary referee... I was an English Language Assistant in France last year so I was hoping to put one of the teachers down - someone who I worked alongside with and also would be able to write a reference in English.

However, the UCAS website says 'If you're providing a reference from a school where you have been employed or have done classroom observation, it must come from the headteacher'. I wasn't employed by the school directly but allocated there by the French education department and I didn't observe, I taught... do you think it would be ok to put the teacher instead of the headteacher? The headteacher is lovely and I know she would provide and good reference BUT she does not speak English. Any advice?

ReputationRep:

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    what has a bigger workload the pgce or school direct route?

I am under the impression on the school direct route you have the same assignments as the PGCE without the university time to complete these and are teaching more frequently and earlier on in the course than the pgce?

I know the pgce year will be intense and hard going but I don't know whether to apply for a pgce or school direct as my third route.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for being annoying peeps, but I really am stuck on what to put in the education section of my personal statement (im doing secondary english PGCE) - do I just give examples of one or two of my subjects studied at uni in relation to National Curriculum...? Because I am so over already but I know I need to include that (I will cut out other stuff if necessary). What are you all doing for that bit?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Yes there should be a graduation.

It's assessed on a pass/fail basis.

xxx
    Perfect, thank you! xx

ReputationRep:
    Heyy guys hope everyone is okay just found the bursary breakdown for 2014/15 if anyone is interested

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...aduate-funding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Heyy guys hope everyone is okay just found the bursary breakdown for 2014/15 if anyone is interested

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...aduate-funding
    Question: for the grants, is it based on current household income or the income you will have whilst studying??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Question: for the grants, is it based on current household income or the income you will have whilst studying??
    If you mean the support from student finance (tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and maintenance grant) then it is done on the previous tax year. So for courses starting in Sep 2014 it would be the 2012-2013 tax year.

However, if the people supporting your application know their income will change a lot they can fill in a form to make SF aware of this. E.g. if you are still classed as being supported by your parents and one of them has lost their job, or gotten a promotion, or expects to finish work during the next year.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    So if you live with your parents it goes on their income and if you live with a partner it goes on your joint income and not your personal income alone?

Sorry if that sounds confusing....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    So if you live with your parents it goes on their income and if you live with a partner it goes on your joint income and not your personal income alone?

Sorry if that sounds confusing....
    Living with your partner is not considered enough. You also have to be over 25.

If you are under 25 it automatically goes on your parents household income unless you can prove you are independent by showing evidence of self-supporting for 3 years, being married, having a child or being estranged.

If you are over 25 then yes it will just go on your own household income which will include your partners if you live with them.

I presume they make adjustments for the fact that during the course you won't be working. So even though they need your household income I think they only really look at your partner's/parents' incomes.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    So, even if I have no financial help/support from my parents at all, if I am under 25 and have only been out of uni for 2 years, it still goes on my parents' income?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    x
    Hi Shelly,

I am planning to do a MFL Secondary PGCE.

So far my experience:

- Language Assistant at a school (from October till the end of the academic year): I assist the teacher delivering the lessons, I work with the children myself and I observe the teacher delivering the lessons and very soon I will be delivering my own lessons

- Reading volunteer (sort of youth club) in another school: I basically act as a role model for a number of secondary students, we read and discuss books, I talk about their goals and how to achieve them and give encourage them to overcome life obstacles as well

Is this enough?
    ---------------------------------------
    I ask this because I have 2 other opportunities to gain experience:

- Language Assistant at another school

- School Experience Programme (SEP)
    ------------------------------------------

However, I would like to commit most of my time to a relatively small number of volunteering than committing less time to a larger group of volunteering options. What do you think? Am I a strong candidate with the Language Assistant and the Reading Volunteer thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Living with your partner is not considered enough. You also have to be over 25.

If you are under 25 it automatically goes on your parents household income unless you can prove you are independent by showing evidence of self-supporting for 3 years, being married, having a child or being estranged.

If you are over 25 then yes it will just go on your own household income which will include your partners if you live with them.

I presume they make adjustments for the fact that during the course you won't be working. So even though they need your household income I think they only really look at your partner's/parents' incomes.

xxx
    Does this mean you have to be completely self-sufficient for the three years? My parents send me some money towards living costs but this will stop at the end of my third year. I was hoping living away from home for 3 years would mean it'd be considered off my and my partner's income but maybe that isn't the case :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm hoping to apply for primary PGCE courses on Thursday but really worried about getting my references in before the universities I want to apply to close their applications! Both references know that it has to be done quickly but reading this it seems like everyone is planning to have it fully submitted on 21st!
    Is it going to mean that I don't stand a chance of getting a place on a course (or even an interview for a place!) if my application doesn't get sent off for a week or so? I have no idea how quickly my references will get done. Really nervous now!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you secured your references? If so, just say something on the lines of 'As places are very completitive, would it be at all possible to submit the reference when UCAS request it?' Or something do that affect. I wouldn't send an arsey demanding email, after all your referee is doing you a favour. Most referees are probably not aware how completitive PGCE Primary Ed places.

Argh. 4 days and my PS is still a.... well lets just say it's terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I have emailed them today explaining how competitive it is and how quick the process is so hopefully it will be okay as the rest of my application will be done on Thursday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fen2k)
    Have you secured your references? If so, just say something on the lines of 'As places are very completitive, would it be at all possible to submit the reference when UCAS request it?' Or something do that affect. I wouldn't send an arsey demanding email, after all your referee is doing you a favour. Most referees are probably not aware how completitive PGCE Primary Ed places.

Argh. 4 days and my PS is still a.... well lets just say it's terrible.
    I am changing my PS everyday! 1 minute I think its great, the next minute I think its rubbish!

I am still desperately trying to find a uni reference as nobody is getting back to me so don't worry. A girl previously said she applied 2 weeks after the applications open and she got on a course.

I think about the quality of your application rather than how quickly you submit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    I am changing my PS everyday! 1 minute I think its great, the next minute I think its rubbish!

I am still desperately trying to find a uni reference as nobody is getting back to me so don't worry. A girl previously said she applied 2 weeks after the applications open and she got on a course.

I think about the quality of your application rather than how quickly you submit!
    Oh okay thank you, hopefully it'll be alright then! Just hope they get their part done ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My second referee from my work exp is asking me for help on what to put, but I haven't a clue. The guide on UCAS seems to focus moer on the principal referee. I only observed this teacher for two days so she hardly got to know my character enough to comment on my suitability as a teacher...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    My second referee from my work exp is asking me for help on what to put,
    Tell her to put that you were awesome! :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.