Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george1996)
    The weighting of 50:50 UCAS : UCKAT still stands. Okay, I'm going to try and explain this as best I can, there is in fact raised competition. However it is not so much as this person suggests. After getting rejected on Thursday UCAS Tariff:540 UKCAT: 760, I decided to call them up (I thought I had a tariff of 660 due to an OCR National in ICT), when I called them they said about calculating tariffs, they do not include BTECS or OCR nationals. I proceeded to ask them if this was made clear before applying and it is apparently stated on their website somewhere. I'm sorry Stephen but you're UCAS tariff is only 510. I decided to try my luck and ask them for the cut-off for the combined score, it is 1310, so everyone stop worrying the cut-off is not impossible and I'm sure there are plenty who've achieved and exceeded that or else they would not reject so many good applicants. I'm sorry Stephen, but I think we should not show envy to those who may get an interview in the future, but indeed congratulate them!
    I highly doubt they told you the cut off on the phone or by any means.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak395)
    But this person is above the cutoff of 1310 so does that mean that the cutoff does not guarantee interview?
    FMSQ is probably not counted? She should ask them, I'd recommend calling them tomorrow? But there must be a valid explanation, cut-off is definitely 1310...

(Original post by chemz202)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Look mate, I know it's hard to take, I'm in the same position but that's what they said...Call them tomorrow and ask, you'll get the same answer by persistence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star10159)
    As I said before, Barts did email me in late November asking me to email them my OCR nationals certificate as well as a link to the corresponding tariff table so that they may award be UCAS POINTS for the OCR nationals.

So as far as I know, they do count OCR nationals.
    That's really strange... Why haven't hey done that for anyone else? What did the email say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And, the website states that they accept all tariffable qualifications, even general studies and critical thinking, which are considered to be worthless...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always thought their 50:50 system would be more complicated than adding the tarriff to the UKCAT score and then deciding upon a cut-off!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    That's really strange... Why haven't hey done that for anyone else? What did the email say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly what I was thinking...I never got an email!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely phoning them tomorrow morning. Some serious explaining to do.

Particularly since I just went through there website and it doesn't say they're unacceptable anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's really difficult to believe this 1310 cut-off thing :eek: I'm not so sure

ReputationRep:
    Are we being trolled? I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People... don't forget that they consider the PS, work experience and everything else... just because someone is academically suitable for medicine doesn't mean they are suitable to become a doctor ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemz202)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you sure that they are adding average UKCAT score to UCAS Tariff or is it total UKCAT score (i.e total of all four sections). If it is latter then UKCAT is more important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE-help)
    It's really difficult to believe this 1310 cut-off thing :eek: I'm not so sure
    Call tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here is the email word for word minus my name

Dear Mr X

On behalf of Prof. Kim Piper, Head of Admissions for Medicine and Dentistry, please find enclosed a letter regarding the BTEC/OCR qualification stated on your UCAS application.

Regards,

Teresa Polini
    SR Administrator (Medicine)
    Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry
    Garrod Building,
    Turner Street
    London E1 2AD
    Tel: +44 (0) 207 882 2243
    Fax: +44 (0) 207 882 7284
    Email: [email protected]

This was the letter attached: Name:  barts email.PNG
Views: 610
Size:  43.4 KB

Edit: I replied to this email stating that my qualification was level 2 and did not provide any points.

ReputationRep:
    Found this in their admissions policy
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Call tomorrow...
    Fair enough I will. Have they sent out ALL rejections though? I have friends below that threshold who haven't been rejected yet.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Mr X

On behalf of Prof. Kim Piper, Head of Admissions for Medicine and Dentistry, please find enclosed a letter regarding the BTEC/OCR qualification stated on your UCAS application.

Regards,

Teresa Polini
    Garrod Building,
    Turner Street
    London E1 2AD

Seriously, why didn't I get this email? 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak395)
    Found this in their admissions policy
    Irrelevant. See my post above about them counting tariffable criteria that 'doesn't meet our entrance requirements' when selecting for interview; they just don't count as a means of meeting the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what is the bloody cutoff?

ReputationRep:
    Here is the email word for word minus my name

Dear Mr X

Regards,

Teresa Polini
    Garrod Building,
    Turner Street
    London E1 2AD

Edit: I replied to this email stating that my qualification was level 2 and did not provide any points.
    You've just proved that this George guy is talking bulls**t. Props to you sir

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought they ranked the UKCAT and Tariff points independently...then averaged your ranks???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.