Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    yes, you are right. Student finance only covers your university fees up till your 4th year (NHS pays for our 5th year).
    And right again, UK students borrow more money so they have to give more back. The funny thing is that if you leave the UK, you might not actually pay your debts at all, even if you reach the appropiate salary. If you work outside the UK you are
    1. reducing your chances of getting to the point of minimum salary (for example working in my home country would probably never get me to the point of minimum salary due to exchange currency rates)
    2. obligated to transffer money yourself while if you work in the UK they take it automatically off your account. So you may just choose not to pay them
    However, I think its not a good idea cause you should pay for your education if its not public. But just a "fun fact"

dont worry! If you got your offer on track its surely not a mistake so you will get your letter any time now. Maybe you just live further away and it takes longer for the Royal Mail to deliver it. Honestly, don't worry about it
    What do you mean when you say that the NHS covers our fees in the fifth year? Are you talking about NHS bursaries? Because I have looked at those and they are rarely available to non-UK students.

Also, how many international (non-UK) students are tippically doing this course? It seems like there are quite a few people on this thread that are from outside the UK.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Nottie;55189487
    Thanks Nottie, I am just taking it one step at a time, first my interview, now my exams and then if that goes well I will have to worry about the finance! I am in France. Where are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julianl)
    What do you mean when you say that the NHS covers our fees in the fifth year? Are you talking about NHS bursaries? Because I have looked at those and they are rarely available to non-UK students.

Also, how many international (non-UK) students are tippically doing this course? It seems like there are quite a few people on this thread that are from outside the UK.
    no, I mean they pay to uni for our 5th year. Or sth like that. Well, the point is each person is allowed 36k from student finance to cover uni fees which lasts for 4 years only. So someone has to pay for our 5th year and this someone is NHS.

Hmm…including me there are I think 6 students from Europe and lots of people from Malaysia, China and Singapore. I can't really tell how many exactly cause there are also lots of British Asians on the course. But I'd say 10% of our year. You can ask the unknownone for possibly more details as he knows more people than I do .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julianl)

I am from Bordeaux France but I do have British citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elly33)
    I am from Bordeaux France but I do have British citizenship.
    if you are a British citizen you are entitled for higher student finance. You don't need to actually live there if you have British ID.

ReputationRep:
    if you are a British citizen you are entitled for higher student finance. You don't need to actually live there if you have British ID.
    So does that means international students with a British passport are entitled to student finance too?: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharvarivadeyar)
    So does that means international students with a British passport are entitled to student finance too?: )
    as far as I'm aware yes. But you may want to double check it . It also means you can pay much lower fees

ReputationRep:
    as far as I'm aware yes. But you may want to double check it . It also means you can pay much lower fees
    Ahh cool I'll email them about it! thanks so much Nottie! looking forward to seeing you in September, thanks for all the help !

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cool I'll email them about it! thanks so much Nottie! looking forward to seeing you in September, thanks for all the help !
    I have a friend from HK that also has a British passport but I don't think she's entitled to student finance
    By all means email and find out for sure though, I hope I'm wrong for your sake!

ReputationRep:
    Just got an accomodation offer from Nightingale Hall. Any other medics there? I saw that it is fairly far from the medical school. Should I ask for reallocation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownone)
    I have a friend from HK that also has a British passport but I don't think she's entitled to student finance
    By all means email and find out for sure though, I hope I'm wrong for your sake!
    Hello If you go on the British Government website there is a part which explains the difference between English Citizens, English Nationals, Citizen by descent, ex colonies etc by completing a quick on line questionnaire... I found this really useful when checking (on the same site) which Finance I am eligible for. For example I have a British passport but reside in France so I can apply for a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan.

ReputationRep:
    Hello If you go on the British Government website there is a part which explains the difference between English Citizens, English Nationals, Citizen by descent, ex colonies etc by completing a quick on line questionnaire... I found this really useful when checking (on the same site) which Finance I am eligible for. For example I have a British passport but reside in France so I can apply for a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan.
    SORRY REPLY MEANT FOR
    sharvarivadeyar

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because of this girl I think hes entitled to firstly, lower fees and secondly, higher student finance :P
    But again, not sure so he should double check it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello If you go on the British Government website there is a part which explains the difference between English Citizens, English Nationals, Citizen by descent, ex colonies etc by completing a quick on line questionnaire... I found this really useful
    Yeah, because of this girl I think hes entitled to firstly, lower fees and secondly, higher student finance :P
    But again, not sure so he should double check it.
    Thanks so much you guys! I'll email them about it and also check out that questionnaire!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much you guys! I'll email them about it and also check out that questionnaire!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain what difference the BMedSci has on my FPAS points? I really don't understand! :confused:
    Also, any tips from European students, as I am one myself. I have never quite understood the student finance component... I know I'm entitled to a student loan but I read something about the NHS covering fees for 5th years and was wondering whether that applies to us as well.
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate1902)
    Can someone please explain what difference the BMedSci has on my FPAS points? I really don't understand! :confused:
    Also, any tips from European students, as I am one myself. I have never quite understood the student finance component... I know I'm entitled to a student loan but I read something about the NHS covering fees for 5th years and was wondering whether that applies to us as well.
    Thank you!!
    The BMedSci doesn't contribute to much on the FPAS tbh! If you get a first in your BMedSci, you get 3 points, a 2:1 will get you 2 points and a 2:2 will get you 1 point

ReputationRep:
    The BMedSci doesn't contribute to much on the FPAS tbh! If you get a first in your BMedSci, you get 3 points, a 2:1 will get you 2 points and a 2:2 will get you 1 point
    True, but if I didn't have the BMedSci I wouldn't have got into my 1st choice foundation school. It's free FPAS points just for showing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate1902)
    Thank you!!
    The BMedSci points are discussed in more detail on the first post of page 119 of the thread entitled "Leicester Medicine Applicants 2015". Whether it makes a difference depends on what direction you want to take with your FY's and future career. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    True, but if I didn't have the BMedSci I wouldn't have got into my 1st choice foundation school. It's free FPAS points just for showing up.
    I didn't say it was totally worthless, just that it didn't contribute to much haha

But that's fair enough, congrats on getting your first choice man and best of look with your career!

I just didn't want to put across that it was worth loads, possibly giving the wrong impression of the BMedSci aspect of Notts

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.