Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just had a look at Barts and it says points weighting on degree classification or postgraduate degrees. I have a 1st in my BSc and I'm due to start my MSc in September. I know that some places will only look at the highest qualification at the time of application whilst others are fine as long as you've completed prior to entry. So does anyone know whether they look at BSc and postgrad degree or only one or the other, and if they want to qualification to be completed at the time of application.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm just trying to ascertain what sort of hoop jumping is required this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    FINALLY got an interview! It's not HCA but a NA job in a psychiatric ward. My undergraduate is in psychology and even though we didn't do much abnormal, I'm hoping it'll work in my favour.

Anyone got any tips for interview? Also - I'm right in not telling them that I'm applying for medicine? I'm worried if I do they won't give me the job as I won't be long-term......

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, not sure if you're aware but hospitals tend to use the terms NA and HCA interchangeably - it's the same job. The hospital where I work some people call us NAs and some call us HCAs but it means the same thing. I assume other hospitals are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladybird198)
    Probably, as one could offset the other, and the overall score will be used.

Is that right?
    I hope so coz I'm worried my ukcat won't be good

ReputationRep:
    How do we actually input our UKCAT scores on the application? I've heard that the UKCAT people send your score along with our application but how do they know which score is for which applicant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    How do we actually input our UKCAT scores on the application? I've heard that the UKCAT people send your score along with our application but how do they know which score is for which applicant?
    You have an ID number and it gets sent from Pearson Vue to UCAS. No need to put it in UCAS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You input your details (ucas ID, uni choices) into their system when they ask you for it. I think they said it would be around September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    You input your details (ucas ID, uni choices) into their system when they ask you for it. I think they said it would be around September.
    They don't ask you for your UKCAT score. At least not in previous years? Pearson Vue send it automatically by matching your name, DoB etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    They don't ask you for your UKCAT score. At least not in previous years? Pearson Vue send it automatically by matching your name, DoB etc.
    Some of the UKCAT documentation I have says that I'll have to log back into my Pearson account at some point to input my uni choices and UCAS personal ID. Did they automatically send the scores without this stuff last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Yeah, I did the UKCAT a few years ago and they did it all automatically, but when I registered this year it said that after we've taken the UKCAT or when we've sent our ucas off (can't remember which one) we have to log in and send it off to the unis outselves or something like that. No idea why. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Who else is applying to just UKCAT unis? I decided to not do the GAMSAT as my UKCAT is only a week before it and I wanted to focus on that and I know the GAMSAT requires a lot of prep. Kinda regretting it now as I've realised there are hardly any UKCAT unis at graduate entry. Majority seem to be GAMSAT.

The only ones I can apply to are King's, Barts and Southampton (can't apply to Warwick as don't have 90hrs work experience), and I don't really fancy going to Southampton. Can someone just check that I'm not missing any off or if the entry aptitude tests have changed for any unis pls? Thanks.

This is all assuming I get over 750 on the UKCAT. If not then I guess I'll have to apply the following year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Who else is applying to just UKCAT unis? I decided to not do the GAMSAT as my UKCAT is only a week before it and I wanted to focus on that and I know the GAMSAT requires a lot of prep. Kinda regretting it now as I've realised there are hardly any UKCAT unis at graduate entry. Majority seem to be GAMSAT.

The only ones I can apply to are King's, Barts and Southampton (can't apply to Warwick as don't have 90hrs work experience), and I don't really fancy going to Southampton. Can someone just check that I'm not missing any off or if the entry aptitude tests have changed for any unis pls? Thanks.

This is all assuming I get over 750 on the UKCAT. If not then I guess I'll have to apply the following year.
    Newcastle is also an option. Any reason you don't fancy Southampton? It requires a chemistry A-level so I would assume there will be a lower number of applicants than some others..

Other than that, those are the only UKCAT unis. However there is a choice of 6, and you can only apply to 4, so it's not too bad for choice

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is also an option. Any reason you don't fancy Southampton? It requires a chemistry A-level so I would assume there will be a lower number of applicants than some others..

Other than that, those are the only UKCAT unis. However there is a choice of 6, and you can only apply to 4, so it's not too bad for choice
    Ideally I'd want to go to a London one so I can commute there so I don't have to pay for accommodation and living costs haha. But, if I get an offer from any uni on a graduate course I'd definitely go. I probably will end up applying for graduate entry at King's, Barts and Southampton, then possibly use the 4th choice for an undergrad 5 year course somewhere else (maybe Barts again).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    FINALLY got an interview! It's not HCA but a NA job in a psychiatric ward. My undergraduate is in psychology and even though we didn't do much abnormal, I'm hoping it'll work in my favour.

Anyone got any tips for interview? Also - I'm right in not telling them that I'm applying for medicine? I'm worried if I do they won't give me the job as I won't be long-term......

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well Done!
    I wouldn't mention applying for medicine if its a permanent job, I was lucky and got a 6 month contract so it didn't matter for me.

In my interview I got asked a couple scenario questions like a patient calls you over and tells you not to tell anybody but hes not been taking his medication, what do you do
    Or
    A nurse asks you to do something you're not trained to do what do you do? If shes quite insistent you do it what do you do then

I can't remember much now but just makes sure you prepare for all common job interview questions like your strengths and weaknesses, why should they choose you etc

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, can I still apply to kings and newcastle whilst I'm still in the third year of my degree as this is not specified in the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose256)
    Hey guys, can I still apply to kings and newcastle whilst I'm still in the third year of my degree as this is not specified in the entry requirements.
    As long as you are in your final year it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Some of the UKCAT documentation I have says that I'll have to log back into my Pearson account at some point to input my uni choices and UCAS personal ID. Did they automatically send the scores without this stuff last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I did the UKCAT a few years ago and they did it all automatically, but when I registered this year it said that after we've taken the UKCAT or when we've sent our ucas off (can't remember which one) we have to log in and send it off to the unis outselves or something like that. No idea why. :confused:
    Huh, odd. Must have changed! GAMSAT make you do that but I figured UKCAT wouldn't change a better system. Maybe they had too many errors with matching.

ReputationRep:

Warwick ask for 70 hours of work experience not 90. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/st...ing/entryreqs/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Warwick ask for 70 hours of work experience not 90. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/st...ing/entryreqs/
    Thanks! Ahh I'm 2 days (16 hours) short anyway. Not sure how I'd be able to make up those hours hmm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Ahh I'm 2 days (16 hours) short anyway. Not sure how I'd be able to make up those hours hmm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am applying to Warwick too. Do you mind if I ask what work experience you have completed? I work full time (not in healthcare) and my work experience is as a hospice helper; online support for hospice users; gp liaison for hospice; ward helper at a hospital; paediatric surgery shadowing. It is all voluntary and I worry that it is not sufficient given it is not my job. It is cumulatively just over 90 hours including training sessions I have completed for each role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuceeeeeT)
    I am applying to Warwick too. Do you mind if I ask what work experience you have completed? I work full time (not in healthcare) and my work experience is as a hospice helper; online support for hospice users; gp liaison for hospice; ward helper at a hospital; paediatric surgery shadowing. It is all voluntary and I worry that it is not sufficient given it is not my job. It is cumulatively just over 90 hours including training sessions I have completed for each role.
    Someone previously corrected me saying that Warwick ask for over 70 hours, not 90 hours like I said!
    I probably won't be applying to Warwick tbh. I only have the hours through shadowing doctors - I've shadowed for 8 days from 9-5 (although with very generous lunch breaks), so 64 hours including lunch breaks haha, so I don't make the cut, especially if they don't count the lunch breaks lol. I did volunteer in a residential care home 3 years ago, but the work experience has to be within 2 years of applying so doesn't count. :/ But yeah, your work experience etc sounds great. so you sound like you're definitely in with a chance! I think I'll apply there if I have to do a gap year as I'll hopefully get a job as a HCA within that time which will give me over 70 hours.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.