OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015 Watch

CamilleClarke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How are you to structure the 18 marker if you're given two policies e.g whether indirect taxation of regulation is better, do you have to do analysis for both and evaluations for both ? Surely that would be a very long essay...
mickel_w
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is what im saying here correct? -

For underprovision of goods that create positive externalities, 2 demand curves, one showing the private benefit, and one ti the right of it showing social benefit

For overprovision of goods that create negative externalities, 2 supply curves, one showing private cost and another showing social cost to the left of the first one

For overprovision of demerit goods, two demand curves , D1 to the left of D

For underprovision of merit goods, the opposite to the above? I.e. D1 is to the right of D.
keynes24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hannb98)
could someone do a general essay structure for if its on state provision? Not sure how to hit all the levels
State provision is not part of the syllabus. If you still need help post the question and your plan.
hannb98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CamilleClarke)
How are you to structure the 18 marker if you're given two policies e.g whether indirect taxation of regulation is better, do you have to do analysis for both and evaluations for both ? Surely that would be a very long essay...
doubt they would ask for two directly, more like to say one method and then use the words 'most' etc in the Q..
but yeah you would only need to do one - i would do taxation. then compare to regulation in the L4 comments and reach a conclusion
hannb98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by keynes24)
State provision is not part of the syllabus. If you still need help post the question and your plan.
I know but there has still been questions..
Jan 2010: Discuss whether healthcare in the UK should be provided by the government or the private sector (18 marks)
keynes24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know but there has still been questions..
Jan 2010: Discuss whether healthcare in the UK should be provided by the government or the private sector (18 marks)
That's a bit different. I have written a small plan for that question already. It refers to the case for/against government intervention
mickel_w
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What are some pros and cons of tax? I only have 4 of each...
hannb98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by keynes24)
That's a bit different. I have written a small plan for that question already. It refers to the case for/against government intervention
could you please share this?
midgemeister7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mickel_w)
You don't really need pros other than hypothecation and perhaps that it's market based, you only really need cons and 4 is fine
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
4 of each are more than enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CamilleClarke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
doubt they would ask for two directly, more like to say one method and then use the words 'most' etc in the Q..
but yeah you would only need to do one - i would do taxation. then compare to regulation in the L4 comments and reach a conclusion
Thank you !
hannb98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thats more than enough anyway!!!
pros: market based, reduces overconsumption... incentive to improve further (emissions -> unlike regulation), increases gov revenue - can be hypothecated. polluter pays so internalises externalities.

cons: reduces competitiveness -> lobbying/unemployment, what size?-> gov failure, what is social optimum?, opportunity cost, regressive so unfair, depends on PED -> inelastic.... , tax avoidance eg relocation of production or can buy goods overseas (e.g. booze cruises).
A level sufferer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by midgemeister7)
You don't really need pros other than hypothecation and perhaps that it's market based, you only really need cons and 4 is fine
Is Hypothecation AS, I only know it from F584 and havent seen it on any revision material or past papers thus far
hannb98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by A level sufferer)
Is Hypothecation AS, I only know it from F584 and havent seen it on any revision material or past papers thus far
not required but shows a good understanding!
NooNoo1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
is the whole point of government provision to make the social costs=private costs or the social benefits=private benefits??
omar8888
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does inelastic supply mean price decreases by more following a subsidy than when supply is elastic? HELPPP
CamilleClarke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is no diagram for public goods is there, because they are an example of a missing market?
Pato1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
okay so can someone tell me which essay topics do NOT need graphs
midgemeister7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pato1)
okay so can someone tell me which essay topics do NOT need graphs
Ideally they all do
BigFreakyGinger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by omar8888)
Does inelastic supply mean price decreases by more following a subsidy than when supply is elastic? HELPPP
PES is irrelevant when addressing subsidies as subsidies decrease the Costs of Production which causes supply to increase (Shift right) The size of shift will not be different for an inelastic supply curve. The best way to answer that question is if you draw a diagram showing an increase in inelastic supply along the demand curve and then an increase in elastic supply along the demand curve. The equilibrium price/quantity will still be the same, no matter what the price elasticity of supply. It is the Price elasticity of demand that will determine a subsidy's effectiveness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed