The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Did the actin filament shorten when muscle contracts? What happens in terms of the number of myosin heads when the muscle contracts?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Did the actin filament shorten when muscle contracts? What happens in terms of the number of myosin heads when the muscle contracts?

Yes and the number stayed the same
Original post by GrandMasti
3 differences between a stem cell and an insulin producing cell?

I went for: 1) Stem cells are undifferentiated; insulin cells are differentiated 2) stem cells found in bone marrow; insulin cells are in pancreas and 3) .... wait for it ... insulin cells produce insulin and stem cells do not ...... yes, that is the sound of the barrel being scraped in desperation!!!!!
Ehat was the answer for investigating length of time for sea anemones to lose their habituation?
grade boundary predictions?
Original post by Daniel9998
I dont think you had to talk about structure, think they were asking on how the building of DNA and RNA differ, meaning how DNA replication is different to transcription of RNA

and what do those building blocks have? Different structures.
Original post by nav1234567
and what do those building blocks have? Different structures.

well yeh they do have different structures, but the question was specifically asking you how building DNA differs to building RNA. Meaning the difference between DNA replication and transcription of RNA.
Original post by GrandMasti
Yes and the number stayed the same

I don't think the actin filament is shortened. It just moves relative to the myosin filament. I put that the area with only myosin (H zone) is shortened. Unless I misunderstood what question you were responding to :s-smilie:
Reply 1208
Original post by Sebmooc
I don't think the actin filament is shortened. It just moves relative to the myosin filament. I put that the area with only myosin (H zone) is shortened. Unless I misunderstood what question you were responding to :s-smilie:

That's correct, filaments don't shorten, the label at the bottom( forget which letter it was) shortens, which is the width of the sarcomere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhatALad
Yep :smile:

OMG YESSS! Is it correct?
Original post by Anon113
What did people get for the nunber of sarcomeres?

1 sarcomere
Original post by Daniel9998
dont remember the answer but I basically found the rate by calculating the gradient from 1-30 ,30-60 then 60-90, added up the values and divided by 3

0.055 or something

what were the units, min^-1
Original post by FutureMedic97
How many UMS do I need at A2 to get an A if my AS was 257 UMS?
Am I correct in saying I need 480-257=223 which means it is a grade B? But I get an A overall?? Im confused

you need 480ums over as and a2 to get an A grade. So you're rite, you just need 223ums at A2 over all 3 units (including coursework). Even if you do get grade B in modules you can still get an A overall because its the UMS that counts
Original post by anonymouse.345

it was 2 marks so I very much doubt you had need to put units.
Original post by anonymouse.345

I think AU min^-1 (I forgot the AU part in the exam...)

What did everyone put for the 1 marker on why the synthetic DNA was kept in a closed circle until needed? I babbled some junk about not reacting and bonding with other stuff, but I really have no idea.
Original post by MrSheeple
I think AU min^-1 (I forgot the AU part in the exam...)

What did everyone put for the 1 marker on why the synthetic DNA was kept in a closed circle until needed? I babbled some junk about not reacting and bonding with other stuff, but I really have no idea.

I said so it can be stored for later use, as the plasmid acts as a vector.Your answer is more likely correct.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HoldtheDoor
I said so it can be stored for later use, as the plasmid acts as a vector.Your answer is more likely correct.

I think yours makes more sense, actually. Because it isn't like they'd be storing their DNA in reactive substances anyway...lol
do you guys know the result of your coursework?
Original post by moonandstars
do you guys know the result of your coursework?

No...I did AS and A2 in one go, so I don't know the results for either piece of coursework. Or AS exams. I'm also an external candidate, so I don't have a teacher to give me a rough mark for it...It's driving me nuts actually.:s-smilie:
Original post by MrSheeple
No...I did AS and A2 in one go, so I don't know the results for either piece of coursework. Or AS exams. I'm also an external candidate, so I don't have a teacher to give me a rough mark for it...It's driving me nuts actually.:s-smilie:

well strangely enough I spoke to someone else who was an external candidate and she told me that she was given provisional marks for both! So I've emailed the college I submitted mine to and asked for some :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending