Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    I've just emailed them this:

"Dear AQA,

I am writing to address the Core 3 exam set for 15th June 2016, which I (and many others) think was unfairly difficult and not in line with the papers set in previous years.Whilst the knowledge required to solve the questions was arguably within the specification, the application of this knowledge was a vast departure from the examples set by past papers. The difficulty of certain questions, namely those involving trigonometry but particularly question 9, was far beyond the reasonable boundaries of a Core 3 paper and seemed more akin in difficulty to a Further Maths paper, which many of those sitting the Core 3 paper have never studied. Even simpler questions such as finding the range of a function, or the question involving X^x, have never been featured in a previous paper in that form, which left many students vastly underprepared when they turned over the page yesterday

.The difficulty of these questions also means that few people have had time to check through their previous answers or attempt any other questions that had been missed out, which means that further mistakes are inevitable.The further demotivating effects of such a paper have also had an impact on students revising for the upcoming Core 4 paper, some of which have declared that they "no longer see any point" in revising, or that they are simply going to "wing it". I do not believe that this is conductive for students to achieve their maximum potential, and that the sole cause of this is the unfairly difficult Core 3 paper set this year.

As a result of this, I believe that the only solution is to significantly lower the grade boundaries from their usual position, to make amends for setting an unfairly difficult paper and to ensure that thousands of students do not miss out on their firm choice of university due to a 'rogue' paper. The mark required for an A* grade last year was 63, but this paper was far beyond the level of the 2015 paper. As such I believe that a fair grade boundary for an A* is somewhere within the 55-60 raw mark range.

Other than this, I see no other solution but to reissue a new paper for this year which is more in line with the standards set in previous years. If the grade boundaries are not significantly lowered, there is no other way to ensure that thousands of students can attend their first choice university and reduce the immense pressure that modern students face in sitting exams.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope that these grievances are fully addressed."
    I hope they set a new exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    https://www.change.org/p/aqa-lower-g...aries-for-mpc3

Hi can every1 who thinks the grade boundaries should be lowered for the core 3 exam please sign this petition to get them lowered by aqa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherfyq)
    I hope they set a new exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Has a new paper ever been set before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Kedric123)
    Used the wrong limits on the substitution question but the rest of the working up to that is correct, would you guys say 5 or 6 out of 7?
    i did this in my mock for june 15 and i only got 4/7, it was awful xD

ReputationRep:
    Any response from AQA regarding grade boundries or releasing new paper to be sat in June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pablo Picasso)
    Strange to also think you assume the 10% quartile of students achieving A*s will drastically change
    Could you explain the concept of a 10% quartile please? I am a parent, not a maths student, so I don't understand that.

ReputationRep:
    I think C4 and M1 will also be a torture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snuvisol)
    Any response from AQA regarding grade boundries or releasing new paper to be sat in June?
    Do you realise that the petitions, which occur every year are a joke (?) AQA will not release a new paper, ever, and grade boundaries will stay the same or around the same as last year as this is the last iteration of the specification. All the emails that being sent, will not be taken into consideration at all. Do you think that the papers were written last minute?

ReputationRep:
    Do you realise that the petitions, which occur every year are a joke (?) AQA will not release a new paper, ever, and grade boundaries will stay the same or around the same as last year as this is the last iteration of the specification. All the emails that being sent, will not be taken into consideration at all. Do you think that the papers were written last minute?

Jus go away pal, no one ere really likes u

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised that no news outlets have made articles about this yet.
    Sadly, I bet they would never decide to make a new mpc3 paper and attempt to maintain their pride and only issue statement about how this paper was designed to challenge students. Students who are an A grade (me included) are very likely not to achieve this grade, even if there will be the lowest grade boundaries we will ever see. I'm absolutely devestated.
    There is no way that my firm (or insurance) will accept me into their physics course without an A in maths. I am severely anxious and even worried thinking about having to look over my mpc4 notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlrose1)
    Could you explain the concept of a 10% quartile please? I am a parent, not a maths student, so I don't understand that.
    Hi,

I think it is where the exam board make the top 5% or 10% (not sure which) achieve an A*, so the lowest mark achieved by someone in this category is the grade boundary for an A*. However this is not the only factor affecting grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modotta)
    I'm suprised that no news outlets have made articles about this yet.
    Sadly, I bet they would never decide to make a new mpc3 paper and attempt to maintain their pride and only issue statement about how this paper was designed to challenge students. Students who are an A grade (me included) are very likely not to achieve this grade, even if there will be the lowest grade boundaries we will ever see. I'm absolutely devestated.
    There is no way that my firm (or insurance) will accept me into their physics course without an A in maths. I am severely anxious and even worried thinking about having to look over my mpc4 notes.
    That paper has completely knocked my confidence for my remaining exams, and all are considered more difficult than Core 3 by most. Its a shame that we haven't been given the slightest of opportunities to show what we are capable of, since all of us had potential to be successful, and AQA are trying to snatch this opportunity away from us through the papers they have set for both Core 3, Chem 4, and other papers.

Whats worse is that people from other exam boards will have normal papers, and so people will achieve the grades they deserve through their exam boards, but we are less likely too. Having a non standardised method of examining students across the UK completely skews everything, as universities look at the grades, and not the grades paired with the exam boards.

Its such a shame that such a paper has even existed. I think its one of the few times where almost everyone agrees the paper was unfair. I hope AQA see the opinions of the students, and takes action to sort this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AkeebSaberi)
    Hi,

I think it is where the exam board make the top 5% or 10% (not sure which) achieve an A*, so the lowest mark achieved by someone in this category is the grade boundary for an A*. However this is not the only factor affecting grade boundaries.
    I was being sarcastic towards Pablogod, king of all maths. 'Quartiles of a ranked set of data values are the three points that divide the data set into four equal groups'. So a the 10% quartile that Pablo mentions is an interesting idea. I would have expected him to know better.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone e-mail AQA at [email protected] and tell them how you feel and what effect that paper had on you. Request another paper to be written for a few weeks time

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas on how to prepare for the increased difficulty in core 4 solomon papers only hope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jarjarmonkey)
    Any ideas on how to prepare for the increased difficulty in core 4 solomon papers only hope?
    Try to learn the concept rather than just doing past papers.
    The Q about secx-tanx ....... has never came up before but if you understand trigonometry, i.e (secx + tanx)(sex - tanx) = 1 should not appear too alien

ReputationRep:
    The Q about secx-tanx ....... has never came up before but if you understand trigonometry, i.e (secx + tanx)(sex - tanx) = 1 should not appear too alien
    C4 seema more fixed than C3 though. It'll probably be standard questions but to a higher difficulty

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yo12345)
    C4 seema more fixed than C3 though. It'll probably be standard questions but to a higher difficulty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is not, when plainly doing past papers you practice the similar type of questions and get used to them quickly, but if something that is slightly different comes up in the exam, you are ****ed. I'd advise you to do really tricky and unusual questions that will actually make you think and help to understand maths rather than memorise it.

ReputationRep:
    That's not really about understanding trig, it was more about spotting that the identity could be factorised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MahuduElec)
    That's not really about understanding trig, it was more about spotting that the identity could be factorised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's mathematical ingenuity.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.