Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
did my UKCAT last week

VR - 590
AR - 710
AR - 680
DA - 610

average 647.5

which is a bit below the average mark of what people generally gets in this thread....

is that because only the most clever and determined medicine applicants come here so that this thread generally has higher averages than rest of the country? :curious:
SilentGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
They don't have a cut off, but I was told at the open day they're looking for around 700

[Choking time]

Thats impossible !!! 700 !! I have my UKCAT tomorrow...

If i can scape over 600 atleast... :|
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Does anyone know whether Nottingham have a UKCAT score cut-off?
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holsy)
Does anyone know whether Nottingham have a UKCAT score cut-off?

"We look at the individual components of the UKCAT and mark them along with the applicant’s personal statement, answers to our online questionnaire and their GCSEs. The total combination of these marks is the basis on which we select candidates for interview"
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Merci beaucoup.
anminko
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by niki42694)
did my UKCAT last week

VR - 590
AR - 710
AR - 680
DA - 610

average 647.5

which is a bit below the average mark of what people generally gets in this thread....

is that because only the most clever and determined medicine applicants come here so that this thread generally has higher averages than rest of the country? :curious:
Different section scores but overall our average score is EXACTLY the same . (Y).

I would LIKE to believe that everyone on this thread is super clever and that I still have a chance... :p:
magichearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i heard the Sheffield this year has a cut-off of 700. Is this true?!
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by magichearts)

no

i know someone who got in last year with 697
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by magichearts)
They didn't say anything like that on their open day. They only said "the UKCAT is used as an additional tool to select candidates for interview"
magichearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I asked because in another forum someone has said that they have contacted Sheffield and have received a reply saying that there's a UKCAT cut-off of 700 this year (just reading it sounds ridiculous). I wasn't sure if someone else have read this and possibly have inquired about it already.
x.beth.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just sat it.

Verbal 620
Quantitative 800
Abstract 690
Decision Analysis 680

Non cognitive: Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you equally value the needs, well-being, and freedom of individuals and the laws, norms and rights of society. When you feel a conflict between what each person should be able to do and what society expects them to do, you are likely to try hard to balance these interests.
Average: 697.5

What a load of crap. I completely freaked out for the first half of the test and was guessing loads randomly. In VR I just sat there for 3 minutes staring at one question not being able to answer it because with those earplugs in, all I could hear was my heart thudding in my ears. Things went bad to worse with QR. My calculator buttons were all stiff so I couldn't type in the numbers easily and the first 15 questions were so long I literally just guessed them all and selected them for review (which I didn't have time to do in the end). I only answered about 12 of the QR questions properly with the others just being blind guessing. Yet this was my highest score :confused: I spent the whole of the personality test thinking about what I was be happy with and I honestly didn't think I could have possibly got higher than 500 in QR. And I haven't got a clue what my personality profile is on about.

So overall, pleased with my score but I have no faith in this stupid test. All it shows is I got lucky with some guessing and I'm now £60 worse off. Great.

Oh and for everyone else that has yet to sit the test, in regards to difficulity I found all of my sections harder than the practice questions I had done on the website apart from DA. And QR was a lot harder imo. Sorry if that scared anyone but I wish I would have been more prepared because everyone else was saying how much easier their QR questions were. All mine were really long sums and percentage changes - I didn't get one easy mean, median, mode, range type question
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sheffield isn't even that good a medical school. 700 is probably a lie.
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why is my non-cog thing different to everyone elses? Mines split into 3 different sections, and it's jsut about confidence, my working style and attitude. I'm so confused.
Faiza.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x.beth.x)
Just sat it.

Verbal 620
Quantitative 800
Abstract 690
Decision Analysis 680

Non cognitive: Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you equally value the needs, well-being, and freedom of individuals and the laws, norms and rights of society. When you feel a conflict between what each person should be able to do and what society expects them to do, you are likely to try hard to balance these interests.

Well done

And that is exactly what it said about me lol.
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Right, I'm gonna tell you what mines says.

1. Your responses suggests a stronger self-belief, combined with a more positive and optimistic outlook on life, when compared to the responses of other people. This suggests that you are happy to take on challenges and take initiatives. When you have the expertise and good judgement this is likely to work well, but you may need to beware of being over-optimistic in other circumstances.

2. When compared to the responses of other poeple, your responses suggest a higher desire to make things happen, together with a stronger determination to work towards your goals. Your preferred style tends to be systematic and reliable, making steady progress towards your goals. When taken to the extreme, such a style can becom over-structured, and there may be times when letting go and being a little more flexible would be useful.

3. Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you feel more positive about things and are less likely to leet things get on top of you. If you experience set-backs, you may believe that you will bounce back, get over them quickly and remain relatively open and cheerful. This may mean that you tend to cope well under pressure but you may need to consider whether your positive orientation is always realistic.

Anyone else got anything like this?
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Faiza.)
Well done

And that is exactly what it said about me lol.
:five: Do you know what it means? It sort of makes it sound like I'm a bit indecisive (which is probably true :p: ).
Faiza.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Raquel//)
Right, I'm gonna tell you what mines says.

1. Your responses sugesset a stronger self-belief, combined with a more positive and optimistic outlook on life, when compared to the responses of other people. This suggests that you are happy to take on challenges and take initiatives. When you have the expertise and good judgement this is likely to work well, but ou may need to beware of being over-optimistic in other circumstances.

2. When compared to the responses of other poeple, your responses suggest a higher desire to make things happen, together with a stronger determination to work towards your goals. Your preferred style tends to be systematic and reliable, making steady progress towards your goals. When taken to the extreme, such a style can becom over-structured, and there may be times when letting go and being a little more flexible would be useful.

3. Compared to the responses of other poepl, your responses suggest that you feel more positive about things and are less likely to leet things get on top of you. If you experience set-backs, you may believe that you will bounce back, get over them quickly and remain relatively open and cheerful. This may mean that you tend to cope well under pressure but you may need to consider whether your positive orientation is always realistic.

Anyone else got anything like this?
The only reason I can think of why it's like that may be that you may have had totally different situations to us. :dontknow:
Faiza.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x.beth.x)
:five: Do you know what it means? It sort of makes it sound like I'm a bit indecisive (which is probably true :p: ).
Lol. I dunno, but I'm hoping/guessing it's a good thing The way I look at it, it's saying that we're not overly emotional, which is a good thing for a doctor. [But that might just be me reading too much into it :p:]

Anyway, all my friends seemed to think it was good and not a bad thing.
IndiaRubber
Report 10 years ago
ahhh I feel ill ):

I have my UKCAT on Tuesday.. have been doing above average on pratice tests i've found online but then i did the full-length test on the official page and did..horrendously.

i'm screwed!
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i thought i could just get through this whole medical application in a breeze. turns out i was wrong;

VR: 530 - was not expecting this...i thought this was my second most well answered section.
QR: 710 - what the hell? i only did about 14 Qs properly...
AR: 580 - guessed from Q.1...expected less tbh.
DA: 690 - was my most comfortable section originally...expected

average: 627.5

i know everyone will say this is a decent score...but i naturally have high expectations, and to think that this is what i'm capable of in a simple aptitude test was really a shot to the heart. i desperately wanted to apply to edinburgh and now that seems unlikely. i'm very angry/annoyed/depressed. i hope everyone else got what they wanted - i certainly didn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads