Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puck_1991)
    About physics being better than maths... if Newton hadn't developed differential calculus (mathematics, if you're interested) he could never have done his theory... If there weren't any maths, physics wouldn't exist, therefore: maths is definitely better than physics (IF YOU LEARN MATHS YOU CAN LEARN ANYTHING ELSE...) And surprise surprise this post is written by... A FUTURE BIOMEDICAL ENGINEER (I'm hoping...)
    Newton did not invent calculus; the fundamental ideas of it were in place before Newton came on the scene. Newton helped develop some of the theory, but he is mostly known for applying it to physical problems. It was Leibniz who systematised calculus and is attributed to the modern 'invention' of it.

Physics could exist without maths, but it would be much more difficult to get by. Mathematics is an extraordinarily efficient way of describing physical theories and solving problems. Rather than maths being "just a tool for physics", I think it describes something much more fundamental than physics does, which is the reason that it describes physics so well. But that's where the science ends and the philosophy begins.

ReputationRep:
    I completely and utterly agree with you, iamsam (or Sam if you'd rather). And I also agree that Physics would still exist without maths. To be more clear about my statement: most physicist know a great deal of maths to be able to handle Physics easily so my reasoning is this: if you already know maths and set your mind to studying Physics it's actually quite easy, meanwhile if you only know Physics and set your mind to studying maths (you would certainly know a lot of maths already of course) you would probably have a bit of a harder time. Other than that I live by the rule "if you are a physicist (or if you know Physics) you can be (or learn) anything".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puck_1991)
    I completely and utterly agree with you, iamsam (or Sam if you'd rather). And I also agree that Physics would still exist without maths. To be more clear about my statement: most physicist know a great deal of maths to be able to handle Physics easily so my reasoning is this: if you already know maths and set your mind to studying Physics it's actually quite easy, meanwhile if you only know Physics and set your mind to studying maths (you would certainly know a lot of maths already of course) you would probably have a bit of a harder time. Other than that I live by the rule "if you are a physicist (or if you know Physics) you can be (or learn) anything".
    I would disagree. I think you can not separate maths and physics, for reasons outlined above.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be harder to understand, and of course most modern Physics wouldn't have developed (or only a few people could understand them) but they could exist without advanced maths (I'm not talking the typical easy things which are necessary for almost any science).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything about biomedical sciences, i applied in Oct and only had acknowledgement.

ReputationRep:
    weird..they are so careful giving out offers this year

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Biomed engineering (we share department or faculty or whatever and I just don't want to check it out yet) in Oct too and still haven't received anything but an acknowledgement. I would mail them and ask when but I've heard they'll get pissed if you do that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying this because I'm doing maths, but I agree with what Puck said about maths being more of a necessity in physics than the other way round. Ultimately, in maths courses, we end up learning applied maths for the sake of it (which IS physics), however the actual mathematical bits aren't ever to do with physics. Indeed, in pure maths, physics plays no part (e.g. number theory, groups/fields/rings, analysis). Statistics can involve physics at the higher end, but it's mostly non-physical too. On the other hand, any physics which involves calculation necessarily uses maths.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Swayum)
    I'm not saying this because I'm doing maths, but I agree with what Puck said about maths being more of a necessity in physics than the other way round. Ultimately, in maths courses, we end up learning applied maths for the sake of it (which IS physics), however the actual mathematical bits aren't ever to do with physics. Indeed, in pure maths, physics plays no part (e.g. number theory, groups/fields/rings, analysis). Statistics can involve physics at the higher end, but it's mostly non-physical too. On the other hand, any physics which involves calculation necessarily uses maths.
    physics isn't just applied maths :shifty:. Of course physics isn't REQUIRED for maths to work though . There are physicists who think that using maths so doggedly has actually harmed the field a lot, as phenomena which can't be explained through an equation are ignored or forgotten about.

As someone (I think Wolfram) once said "Marvelling on the 'unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics' is like marvelling at the 'unreasonable effectiveness of a streetlight of lighting the area beneath it'" :awesome:.

ReputationRep:
    i went to imperial from cyprus for an interview for physics on the second of february but due to the snow the woman responsible for inteviews couldnt make it so she cancelled and told me i would be judged on my application.. still no reply though from imperial.
    ucl AAB
    kings ABB
    royal holloway ABB
    queen mary BBB

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when IC has answered Biomed applicants other years? Because the curious thing is that none of the people here have been answered, so I'm starting to wonder if the department has given any offers at all yet or if they were waiting till January to be able to asses everyone at the same time (and not give a place to someone who is a bit less apt for it than someone else who applies later) and they're taking very long to do it..

ReputationRep:
    By the way, thank you Swayum for supporting my "Physics is applied Maths" theory. I mean, I know that it's glaringly obvious that Physics if [I]more[I] than maths but basically if we didn't know maths Physics wouldn't be as developed as it is (probably the other way around is true too). They're two sciences that go together, but I believe that Maths is independent of Physics (in the sense that you can learn Maths without learning Physics) while the other way around is simply impossible (even if I admit there are certain phenomena which we can't explain by a simple equation).
    After all: "Mathematics are the Science of the mind. Physics, the Science of the World"

ReputationRep:
    Granted, but physics necessarily applies to reality, whereas mathematics CAN be applied to reality but does not necessarily have to. Also, as I said, physics moves UP the tree rather than just down (when it moves down it is applied maths, but not when it moves up), whereas maths simply makes new trees, then moves down them. To know what I mean, read my earlier posts!

However, maths can exist without physics, however physics would be fairly meaningless without maths. That's because maths is, essentially, logic. It would be worrying if you could not mathematically deduce other physical properties of stuff using physical laws, because that would mean not being able to LOGICALLY deduce the stuff at all.

Though I repeat what I said earlier, physics has to by definition have an added utility because it must correspond to reality, whereas mathematics is entirely free (this is why I consider physics to be the fascinating subject and maths to be the fun one ^^). (I realise that most of mathematics DOES have a utility, often discovered by accident [knot theory and antiviral research] however this is not a key req). In fact, it is because maths is not restricted by reality that it gets you a BA at Cambridge rather than a BSc!

ReputationRep:
    For Biomedical science, they said the deadline for them to answer is 31st march

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    physics isn't just applied maths :shifty:. Of course physics isn't REQUIRED for maths to work though . There are physicists who think that using maths so doggedly has actually harmed the field a lot, as phenomena which can't be explained through an equation are ignored or forgotten about.
    I'm not denying that physics exists in its own right as well, I'm just saying that more maths is used in physics than physics is used in maths.

(Original post by Rite)
    In fact, it is because maths is not restricted by reality that it gets you a BA at Cambridge rather than a BSc!
    I'll come back to the rest of your post later but this is completely false. It's just what the Cambridge system is - even their Natural Sciences course is a BA.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm not denying that physics exists in its own right as well, I'm just saying that more maths is used in physics than physics is used in maths.
    Yeah but just because mathematicians are scared of actually trying to apply maths to anything useful :awesome:.

I'll come back to the rest of your post later but this is completely false.
    Tru dat.

ReputationRep:

I'll come back to the rest of your post later but this is completely false. It's just what the Cambridge system is - even their Natural Sciences course is a BA.
    Lol, I had heard from a friend that maths was BA and didn't check any of the other courses, sry :tongue: Well, it's not an insult to say that your course is an art, eh? ^^

ReputationRep:
    just got my offer...through the post

"PLEASE NOTE that there is likely to be a delay between when you recieve this letter and when the official offer appears on UCAS website, due to the sheer number of applicants that needs to be processed"

lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rite)
    Lol, I had heard from a friend that maths was BA and didn't check any of the other courses, sry :tongue: Well, it's not an insult to say that your course is an art, eh? ^^
    Maths is already an art :awesome:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Maths is already an art :awesome:.
    yes, that's what I said... :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 26, 2010
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.