Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to hazard a guess which day next week? For what it's worth I reckon it will be Monday, they always give themselves a bit of room, but presumably its all computerised anyway, so once they input this weeks scores (which they should have done by today) it'll just be a matter of pressing enter :eek:

Good luck everyone whose been waiting all this time! I hope you get the answers you've been waiting for.

Reema, can I ask what you're thesis topic is? - Philosophy student btw, so its professional(more like amateur) curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    My thesis topic is Wittgenstein on family resemblance (Philosophical Investigations). But I also intend to compare/contrast his views on family concepts in the Tractatus with the PI, and hopefully argue for some points of similarity - contrary to popular opinion. It's a tough one! Where are you studying philosophy?

I also agree that Monday is probably the day, although I can place a bet on Tuesday too...hopefully. I certainly hope it's early in the week rather than later!!

ReputationRep:
    Do we know what sort of time-frame DAS offers are made (if any). Are they spread out over the year?

ReputationRep:
    I took a Wittgenstein module, at first I got into it a bit but by the end I was just confused, very confused.
    Hope it goes well anyway. It sounds like a good topic, lots of material to put a good argument together from.

I'm studying at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I've checked in on this thread a couple of times, but not posted before. I passed in March, and I'm taking a Cabinet Office posting shortly... Is there a facebook group or equivalent someone could link me to please? I'd love to meet some of the other new starters, and see if any of the folk I met at the assessment are starting too...

Thanks

(Oh, and as you might infer from the name, I'll be looking to set up some regular poker games...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pokerstar)
    Is there a facebook group or equivalent someone could link me to please?
    There are two because there is an '09 splinter group...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?si...204&ref=search

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5224265&ref=ts

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much - very helpful...

Anyone else going to Cabinet Office?

ReputationRep:
    Hey - Realising the chances of having a 3 month stint off once I start are pretty slim, I'm considering running off to Africa for 3 months before I start... I can either go June until the end of August or Oct-Dec...

I'm waiting on a place in central depts and just wondered a few things...

1) How complicated are the pre-appointment checks / interviews... would I need to be available to visit before September?

2) What is the probability that I could delay starting until Jan and would there be any major downsides to that? (If I'm away in August I'd be unable to get to a few weddings...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welbis)
    Hey - Realising the chances of having a 3 month stint off once I start are pretty slim, I'm considering running off to Africa for 3 months before I start... I can either go June until the end of August or Oct-Dec...

1) How complicated are the pre-appointment checks / interviews... would I need to be available to visit before September?

2) What is the probability that I could delay starting until Jan and would there be any major downsides to that? (If I'm away in August I'd be unable to get to a few weddings...)

People are supposed to be assigned in order of FSAC score so you can guestimate from that. I would guess you'd start by/during Sept.

Pre appointment checks are pretty routine and don't take too long (a month ish)

Most people start around Sept so what you miss is some immediate networking but I wouldn't say it mattered much.

ReputationRep:
    I know at least two departments are starting all their Fast Streamers together on the 1st October, so perhaps others will be doing the same?
    I think the best thing to do is to ask the Assignments team.
    As long as you don't need any higher level of vetting, it shouldn't take too long to get all of that sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    I know at least two departments are starting all their Fast Streamers together on the 1st October, so perhaps others will be doing the same?
    On a Tuesday? How bizarre for the civil service :P

ReputationRep:
    1st October is a Thursday...
    I guess it makes it easier to pay them for an enitre calender month? Or maybe closer to the time they'll make it the first Monday closer to the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    1st October is a Thursday...
    I guess it makes it easier to pay them for an enitre calender month? Or maybe closer to the time they'll make it the first Monday closer to the time.
    Ahh yes, I just noticed the T on the windows calendar
    It almost makes more sense being a Thurs with two days induction?

Anyhey, around that period rather than Dec-March

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welbis)

This is exactly my dilemma. I'm currently temping, but my contract runs out at the very end of May, and I want to go travelling/backpacking before taking up a position. Like most people though, I'm still waiting to hear from Central Departments, so am unable to make any Summer plans. I suppose I just have to sit and wait patiently...!

ReputationRep:
    They can be fairly quick...For me I withdrew from HoP on March 31st, they had all my checks done bar the CRB done within a week and the CRB check took another week after that. Then they gave me my department assignment on thurs which was the 23rd...So took about three weeks but that was over Easter as well.

But I guess it depends on how high ur score is and how quick the department is to get back to them.

(Original post by sunshinin)
    This is exactly my dilemma. I'm currently temping, but my contract runs out at the very end of May, and I want to go travelling/backpacking before taking up a position. Like most people though, I'm still waiting to hear from Central Departments, so am unable to make any Summer plans. I suppose I just have to sit and wait patiently...!

ReputationRep:
    I was assigned to BERR on Friday- does anyone know what it is like as a department for fast streamers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DB01)
    Question for those who have gone through FCO FSB 1. Has your application progress page been updated yet?
    Apart from changing from 'awaiting event' to 'awaiting results' after FSB1, the application progess change won't change status until after the 2nd FCO FSB - unless you are unsuccessful at FSB 1.

ReputationRep:
    Today is SIX MONTHS since I first applied for the Fast Stream and tomorrow, possibly, I might find out whether I've made the grade...

And so, by way of a litte celebration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuffHRacZMQ

Enjoy and good luck everyone...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Jamie...

Anyone still amber for DS?! I understand there is a final round of FSB 1's in May, hope I get invited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bil1347)
    Thanks Jamie...

Anyone still amber for DS?! I understand there is a final round of FSB 1's in May, hope I get invited!
    Yet another long-time lurker, hello everyone!

Bil, I've got a DS FSB on May 18th,- it was supposed to be last Tuesday but I had an exam on Wed and they kindly agreed to push the date forwards - I've not yet come across anyone else who's been given a date for May so presumably that bunch of invitations hasn't yet gone out? I hope you hear some good news!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.