This discussion is closed.
Reina
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Adl91)
Reallly ! I got 6.2 where did i go wrong lol :/
If you keep the numbers in the calculator (q = 0.0316227766 and p = 0.9683772234) you get 6.12 but if you round to q = 0.032 and p - 0.97 you get 6.2

I don't think they'd take marks off for it
godjohnson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sahjan)
Haha same! I wrote both down and then crossed both out...but they were still visible...I've heard examiners still give you a mark if a crossed out answer is right, and if it hasn't been replaced by another answer :|
yep that's right unless you aggressively crossed it out so that its illegible
godjohnson
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think grade boundaries will be:

100 UMS 65/75
90 UMS 61/75
80 UMS 57/75
rac1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Adl91)
Reallly ! I got 6.2 where did i go wrong lol :/
Well I didn't revise Hardy-Weinberg hence I got 18%. I'm sure they'll give you the mark.
sechdent8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey guys, i hope you all did well. I have a question about 6a, the 6 marker on the amazon rainforest. I wasn't sure whether the speciation referred to plants or the birds, the information given said the plant communities are isolated geographically and then come back together, so i wrote about the speciation referring to variations with the plants, selective advantages, allele frequency's etc. etc. Is this right? Or should i have referred to the birds?
Thanks guys
MattSimcock
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For the concrete blocks question I put that they would retain more water in puddles, so conditions aren't as hostile as they normally are at the start of primary succession. I think I'm well and truly on my own with that idea, but I still think it's valid. Does anyone agree??
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sechdent8)
hey guys, i hope you all did well. I have a question about 6a, the 6 marker on the amazon rainforest. I wasn't sure whether the speciation referred to plants or the birds, the information given said the plant communities are isolated geographically and then come back together, so i wrote about the speciation referring to variations with the plants, selective advantages, allele frequency's etc. etc. Is this right? Or should i have referred to the birds?
Thanks guys
I think I may have misread this question. =(

I said the following;

Higher plant biodiversity
More Habitats/niches
Greater variety of foods
Where there was no geographical isolation, mutations will be passed on throughout the animals preventing speciation.

Can't remember what I wrote for the rest of that question...
TH4RG3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LegendX)
The question did not say PERCENTAGE population growth rate, it asked how we would work out the growth rate...so surely you would need to know birth rate etc... So I think you got the wrong end of the stick if you just out that formula down

I think they will give the marks for both birth rate/deathrates/immigration/emigration, and for saying "population change" as that is what they result in, you can just count the pop before and pop after, find the difference for that. No I didn't put the equation.
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by godjohnson)
I think grade boundaries will be:

100 UMS 65/75
90 UMS 61/75
80 UMS 57/75
You really think that grade boundaries are going to increase from 52 in Jan 13, to 57 in June 13, for an A. Yes grade boundaries aren't going to be low, but if that really happened, that would be a dramatic increase, on any past paper..ever. That is why don't agree with these, regardless of how easy you might have found it.
Stickyelmo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Guys, you know that question about why using concrete blocks may not be a good idea, I said that the concrete would not be able to hold any water preventing photolysis or something similar to that.

What you think?
Photolysis occurs in the plants, if it occured on puddles and stuff we'd have plenty of hydrogen cars. Also its next to a rocky shore so if you think of high and low tide the block will be covered with water AND existing algae
twin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bilala2)
the highest a they have been was to get 52 which was in jan 2013. so why would you think the boundries will go up by nine marks. thats just stupid
I did the jan 2013 paper and I thought it was about equal difficulty to today's exam. You're right there is no way an A is going to be 61, put it this way in june 2010 it was 35 for an A. Now obviously the paper was easier, and people have revised from the mark schemes more, but it would be simply ridiculous for an A to be that high.

My prediction:

100 ums = 64
A* = 59
A = 53
B = 49
C = 44
D = 39
E = 35

And that is being pretty pessimistic, tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they were much nicer good luck everyone I hope it went well.
TheFootyKing19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My predictions are: (majority of the A* candidates got thee grades in January so

A* = 54
A = 50
B = 46
C = 41
D = 37

emah123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by twin)
I did the jan 2013 paper and I thought it was about equal difficulty to today's exam. You're right there is no way an A is going to be 61, put it this way in june 2010 it was 35 for an A. Now obviously the paper was easier, and people have revised from the mark schemes more, but it would be simply ridiculous for an A to be that high.

My prediction:

100 ums = 64
A* = 59
A = 53
B = 49
C = 44
D = 39
E = 35

And that is being pretty pessimistic, tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they were much nicer good luck everyone I hope it went well.
I agree with you 100%!!!!
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stickyelmo)
Photolysis occurs in the plants, if it occured on puddles and stuff we'd have plenty of hydrogen cars. Also its next to a rocky shore so if you think of high and low tide the block will be covered with water AND existing algae
Not what I meant.
I meant when the algae is on the cement blocks because the cement doesn't absorb water.
It was a complete guess, I never said it was a good guess.
krane
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MattSimcock)
For Hardy-Weinberg I forgot it was 2pq and just worked it out using pq, so I got 3.06% instead of 6.12%. Obviously everything else was right. Will I get 1/3 or 2/3?
I did same, realised as soon as I came out, annoyingggg
harghy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Please can someone link me to unofficial mark scheme
AspiringDoctor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by twin)

My prediction:

100 ums = 64
A* = 59
A = 53
B = 49
C = 44
D = 39
E = 35

I reeeally hope you're right!

(Original post by harghy)
Please can someone link me to unofficial mark scheme
I remember someone saying page 56
Millyshyn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by o11y)
More likely answer would be that people with the disease usually die as children (which it says in the question) so they are unable to pass on the genes so the allele frequency falls, hardy-weinberg only applicable when allele frequencies stay constant with no selection pressure.

My answer was 2/3 marks worth,but I think it was only 1 mark. Don't know where exactly the 1 mark would be in there, but I made sure I got it.
No idea what you got downvoted, what you're saying is more correct than relating random fusion of gametes to it, because it specifically says why is the number likely to DECREASE.
REGA91
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What was the very last question of the paper? I'm starting to worry that I missed it too! It's all such a blur
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by REGA91)
What was the very last question of the paper? I'm starting to worry that I missed it too! It's all such a blur
Why does intensive rearing of livestock increase production?

Why is this thread so dead?!
I remember at the end of unit 2, it went from page 60 to page 200 overnight!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.6%
No (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads