• TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Not as much as I should be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably not enough (hence I'm here!) but on average I'd say about 2-3 hours every day. I couldn't do more than 7 hours, but even 6 is a push. I have 10 exams coming up, but I'm only really revising for 7 of them: 2 History, 2 Economics, and 3 Maths. The other three are Product Design and two Critical Thinking exams. I might revise a bit for Product Design on the weekend before the exam (next weekend) but I'm not letting it take priority any more after the amount of time I wasted on it doing coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kotoamatsukami)
    Even for STEP? :eek:
    It was a joke . Although I have stalled STEP for now because Edexcel is trolling by putting M3 first. I'll probably resume after M3 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymousgirll)
    Ah I see you feeling prepared I'm freaking out over 5 so I can't imagine how your feeling.
    yeah i'm feeling faaabulous, to be honest it could be worse, i could have them a lot closer together but at least they are fairly spread. I haven't even thought about the ones after half term though... i have 8 before that to get through...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
    Aw thank you, I'm still struggling, but right now I'm just trying keep positive.

For Sociology, try and find as much theorists as possible to back up any points/arguments you have. Then try and find contrasting theorists that disagree with your points. My teacher said that we should always try to critically assess our arguments, so you're showing the examiner that you're not just one sided and you can objectively look at an argument and deduct its flaws.

Yes I did political ideologies. I actually preferred it to AS. Since the ideologies were so vast, you could answer any of the questions and get a good mark as long as you know and can critically evaluate the different ideologies against each other or within each other like the different types of feminism.

I'm not gonna lie, I did a ton of revision within a short period of time. I was sleeping 2 hours a night, just to get through the content. One suggestion I have is to go to your exam boards website, look at exemplary answers for different questions. The answers that usually get high marks, have a common theme.That's what I did. I went from a D at AS to an A at A2 for politics. Nobody thought I would be able to get an A, when I said I was aiming for that, everyone in my class laughed at me.

Its about revising smart. I suggest you do a past paper, answer the hardest essay questions alone. Mark them using the mark schemes, be critical. If you're struggling with any question, then revise that area.
    Sometimes being your own hardest critic can be good come exam time.

Yes I'm now studying Law & Criminology. Will you be doing law once you finish your A-levels?
    ahhh thanks for the reply
    i need to do well in sociology and get an A but sooo little time left and so much to learn
    arghhhhhh
    so for ideologies just learn the themes and strands right?
    i don't mind feminism and anarchism but the rest arghhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    ahhh thanks for the reply
    i need to do well in sociology and get an A but sooo little time left and so much to learn
    arghhhhhh
    so for ideologies just learn the themes and strands right?
    i don't mind feminism and anarchism but the rest arghhhhh
    Yes for the ideologies, make sure you know what the ideologies common theme is, then revise the different ways the common theme is interpreted. For example, Liberaliam v Neoliberalism- both different but have some similarities.

You'll be fine. Just keep calm! Feminism and Anarchism were easier to get my head around for me too.

ReputationRep:
    Well my first exam is on Monday and so far i've been doing about 3 or 4 hours a day which is more than last year and I got BBC but I did start early last year/this year.

I have bumped it up to 6 hours a day this week for the exam. I was at a party at 10pm on Saturday and this girl did not turn up because she was revising, apparently she revised from 10am that morning, I really think thats over the top!! I suppose everyone is different, but i'm not putting myself under that stress, I couldn't do it anyway. Even if I wanted to, I know my limits well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishkmistry)
    13 exams at a level and out of motivation - i've worked since sept and its disappearing - someone motivate me!!!
    You just have to force yourself. I am in the same position but I force myself. Although I notice after three hours I get fed up and really lose my concentration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    10-11 hours right now, and its NOT ENOUGH!! But I can't possibly concentrate for longer than that
    After 4 hours i'm dead and I know people who can't even do an hour. That is just ridiculous!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioheadHermie)
    I seem to find a 2-3 hours is fine. Don't know how people have time to do 6 hours!!
    I personally split it up through the day. I don't sit there constantly revising for 6 hours, I can't do it.
    Like right now i'm going onto my 4th hour and then i'm going to take a break and revise more later.

ReputationRep:
    On a school day 4 hours, on the weekend roughly 11-12 hours (including some breaks)

ReputationRep:
    That's too many hours guys, wasted hours, human attention span is like 20-30 minutes at a time, any time sat down after that time block is inefficient

You take breaks after half and hour, then come back etc.
    But i can't do this even, it's too boring and annoying, like i'm a robot or something

I'm stressing so much i can't revise for history, i'm doing AS levels, shall i fail history (do what little i can though, not completely flunk it) and just excel in the other 3, i'm not planning on taking history to A2 anyway (nooo waaaay!!!)

ReputationRep:
    6-7 on weekends/days off but after school I'm too exhausted so only manage about 3-4 though it does get bumped up if I have frees.

Only thing that motivates me is the week off that begins right after my last exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libbie-)
    6-7 on weekends/days off but after school I'm too exhausted so only manage about 3-4 though it does get bumped up if I have frees.

Only thing that motivates me is the week off that begins right after my last exam
    Are you doing AS or A2? Wish I could do that much for my A2s... I did around that much for my AS subjects. I still have a month and a bit before mine start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingGas)
    Are you doing AS or A2? Wish I could do that much for my A2s... I did around that much for my AS subjects. I still have a month and a bit before mine start.
    AS. Mine start a week tomorrow until May 22nd so it is literally just constant revision. Good luck in your exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libbie-)
    AS. Mine start a week tomorrow until May 22nd so it is literally just constant revision. Good luck in your exams

Ah okay, I will be doing that as mine draw closer Thanks, good luck in your exams!

ReputationRep:
    I only have two left now but they're on the same day and alot counting on them. I've usually been doing 10:30 until 6:30/7pm revision wise in the library. Then I come home, have dinner, want to start again but I can never focus at home and am too tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
    I use multiple techniques, in different stages.

1. I make general notes, where I go over things I missed during the semester. I use my lectures and tutorials as indicators of what I should be learning, then I use my textbooks, journal articles, cases etc to pad out my general notes for each module.
    2. I consolidate those notes with posters, flash cards, summaries (this can be very time consuming)
    3. Past paper questions, I not only plan out answers, I time myself so I have good exam technique for the actual exam. (also time consuming)
    4. To remember my cases and journal article quotes, I dim my room and make it quiet. Then I sit down and imagine myself at home. I mentally walk through my home and different objects in my house represent different cases I need to memorise. This technique is very helpful, but I have to go over the mental walkthrough a few times, before I can recall 40 different cases.
    5. I use mnemonics, absolutely love them for tests that I need to remember for different areas.
    6. I use a 'look, cover and write' method for my posters, flash cards and summaries. So I can memorise key points.

How are you revising?
    method of loci y'know. Do you do psychology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QUANTAM)
    method of loci y'know. Do you do psychology?
    Nope, but I'm fascinated by it.
    Ohh, I just always did that. Even when I try to remember past events. Its like I can transport myself to the past event, I can smell and feel the environment as if I am reliving the past again.

Do you use the method?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.