Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is it even peak calling time already? I know most peeps haven't got their results yet

can't get through to most unis, ffs
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravishingrick69)
    Can somebody answer my question about ums marks?

I got 100 ums on one side of my exam, and on the other I got 77, which amounts to 177 ums, which is an A.

But I've been wondering whether the raw marks on that 100 ums make a difference. For example, 80% marks is 100 ums, 100% marks is 100 ums. Do those extra marks go to waste? Or might they amount to something in a2?
    The raw marks don't make a difference as far as I know, all that matters is the UMS score (if you apply somewhere that looks at UMS score, that is!)
    Raw marks won't make a difference to your A2 grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    I passed and I passed and there are tears of joy in my eyes right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw, congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhassan)
    Dam can't get my results untill I handed in all my books. Need to find them
    my old school used the same tactic :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    have you been able to get an answer from your uni yet?

If not is there anything in clearing that takes your fancy? What are your subjects/grades and what sort of thing are you after?
    Yes, I spoke to the admissions tutor directly, she was really lovely about it. Once I heard "I'm so sorry" I almost lost it
    I don't think clearing is really an option for me. I took up a new A-level (anthropology) this year on my own and had to teach it to myself, that combined with the poor exam timing ended up with a big, fat, juicy U
    My other subjects were Biology and Philosophy & Ethics. Got a C at Biology A2 and B at P&E AS. My results from this summer out of 100 raw marks were 63 and 62 for philosophy and ethics, respectively. I don't know what that takes me up to, maybe a C? Haven't found the grade boundaries yet.
    I'm not sure there's anything in clearing that would accept me.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzybear)
    is it even peak calling time already? I know most peeps haven't got their results yet

can't get through to most unis, ffs
    Unis will be pretty busy all morning as a lot of people will have their results. If you're trying to get in contact with them, just keep trying!

ReputationRep:
    Yayayyayayay AAC, hello Edinburgh for Maths!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobilina)
    Yayayyayayay AAC, hello Edinburgh for Maths!
    Welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    The raw marks don't make a difference as far as I know, all that matters is the UMS score (if you apply somewhere that looks at UMS score, that is!)
    Raw marks won't make a difference to your A2 grades.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Welcome.
    I'm scared............

Are you in first year too?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flowerii)
    Yes, I spoke to the admissions tutor directly, she was really lovely about it. Once I heard "I'm so sorry" I almost lost it
    I don't think clearing is really an option for me. I took up a new A-level (anthropology) this year on my own and had to teach it to myself, that combined with the poor exam timing ended up with a big, fat, juicy U
    My other subjects were Biology and Philosophy & Ethics. Got a C at Biology A2 and B at P&E AS. My results from this summer out of 100 raw marks were 63 and 62 for philosophy and ethics respectively. I don't know what that takes me up to, maybe a C? Haven't found the grade boundaries yet.
    Oh no - that stinks

A C at biology is pretty good (better than my Chemistry A level grade ) - it might be worth checking out clearing spaces on courses with a foundation year or similar?

Alternatively there are some unis out there who are happy to take all sorts of grades and backgrounds - the uni background is in practical education and teaching people from scratch and so they're less concerned about what you start with and more worried about how motivated you are and keen on the subject. Ex-teacher training colleges (like worcester, winchester, chichester, liverpool hope, bath spa, york st john etc) in particular tend to have brilliant reputations for teaching students with a range of grades and extremely strong student satisfaction and employability scores. Their subject range tends to be fairly limited but they're well worth a look (if only to decide that that isn't something you're interested in!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comokanu)
    Exactly what I got last year, except with Maths (A) and Physics, Chemistry, Biology (B).

I was chuffed with Maths because it was really high but being 3 off of an A in Physics was annoying. I hated Biology anyway.

A year on and I have an insurance offer, firm has yet to update
    What subject?
    I'm hoping for durham pharmacy, you could get in with those grades!!!

ReputationRep:
    I got BBBC in my results, it might not sound astronomically good but by god, I got all A's in my June exams and I cried because I'd done so well from January where I only got CCDE. I studied so, so hard and my dad - who is the toughest guy I've ever met - is sobbing on the floor because he's so proud and I'm about to puke up on my laptop :cheers:
    I think I'm just dumbstruck about the fact that I actually improved so well, and that four months of solid revision from February paid off... Everybody is telling me my mum would be proud of me and it's not helping the tears ha

Congrats all!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobilina)
    I'm scared............

Are you in first year too?
    I'm going into second year! Edinburgh is just fantastic, you'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    AQA French and Spanish Oral marks were MEAN! :angry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joy_to_the_world)
    I applied for Brighthelm! I hope I get into it and what about you? what's your preferred accomodation?
    I put Brighthelm too!! I really hope I get in, although i'm not sure how I'm going to afford it and theres only 300 spaces :/ Good luck though!!!

ReputationRep:
    After bad AS results wasn't expecting much but got BCC...not as good as everyone else but a message to the AS if u do bad you can pull it around the next year. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My other subjects were Biology and Philosophy & Ethics. Got a C at Biology A2 and B at P&E AS. My results from this summer out of 100 raw marks were 63 and 62 for philosophy and ethics, respectively. I don't know what that takes me up to, maybe a C? Haven't found the grade boundaries yet.
    Take a gap year and retake?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbpuppet)
    I got BBBC in my results, it might not sound astronomically good but by god, I got all A's in my June exams and I cried because I'd done so well from January where I only got CCDE. I studied so, so hard and my dad - who is the toughest guy I've ever met - is sobbing on the floor because he's so proud and I'm about to puke up on my laptop :cheers:
    I think I'm just dumbstruck about the fact that I actually improved so well, and that four months of solid revision from February paid off... Everybody is telling me my mum would be proud of me and it's not helping the tears ha

Congrats all!
    Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that Best of luck with whatever you decide to do :console:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.