Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Amazing win for Dimitrov to come back from behind and win hopefully he can keep the momentum up for Wimbledon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    ... and terrible mental strength to get broken from 40-0 up in the first game of the third.
    ... and some pretty good mental strength to eventually break back and edge out a close tie-break

Good win for Grigor - he does look comfortable on the grass this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    ... and some pretty good mental strength to eventually break back and edge out a close tie-break

It's been a good few months for Raonic, Nikishori and Dimitrov in general. Once we see them in 6th, 7th and 8th then we'll know that the reign of the big 5 is about to end.

ReputationRep:

Well I wanted Dimitrov to win so I'm glad I do tend to be very critical of those players that I want to do well.

Anywho, great to see Baby Fed and Papa Fed win grass titles on the same day (Father's Day!). Looking forward to seeing what those two will do at Wimbledon.

ReputationRep:
    Dimitrov will probably bomb out of the first round at Wimbledon. He's a played a great tournament but he rarely backs it up at the slams.

I rate Nishikori, Raonic, Janowicz (well at least until he got injured) above Dimitrov still, at least until he proves me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    Dimitrov will probably bomb out of the first round at Wimbledon. He's a played a great tournament but he rarely backs it up at the slams.

I rate Nishikori, Raonic, Janowicz (well at least until he got injured) above Dimitrov still, at least until he proves me wrong.
    As long as he doesn't land a big server like Karlovic in Round 1, I feel Dimitrov can do some damage this year. Would be a good experience for him if he got to play on one of the big courts too
    I will continue to believe in Raonic - the lad hasn't made it past Round 2 at Wimbledon before, but a higher seeding is certainly going to assist him as well.
    Nishikori - not sure about him on grass. He put up a good fight in Halle, and the Wimbledon grass is slower, but he could lose to any big hitter
    And Janowicz'll probably continue his woeful form - hasn't done anything great since last year's SF against Murray

ReputationRep:
    As long as he doesn't land a big server like Karlovic in Round 1, I feel Dimitrov can do some damage this year. Would be a good experience for him if he got to play on one of the big courts too
    I will continue to believe in Raonic - the lad hasn't made it past Round 2 at Wimbledon before, but a higher seeding is certainly going to assist him as well.
    Nishikori - not sure about him on grass. He put up a good fight in Halle, and the Wimbledon grass is slower, but he could lose to any big hitter
    And Janowicz'll probably continue his woeful form - hasn't done anything great since last year's SF against Murray
    Yeah true it was a bit of a lottery against Karlovic at the French. Dimitrov, despite his promise still does tend to struggle early in the Grand Slams but hopefully he'll continue to build on his successes. That was his second tournament win I think?

Gotta say I do tire of people latching on to Dimitrov and calling him 'Baby Fed'. Must be annoying when you're trying to establish your own game and people are constantly, unfairly, comparing him to the great.

Raonic, with his huge serve, should be strong on grass, although he hasn't shown that thus far. He also went out pretty tamely at Halle. However I have a very good feeling for him - he was able to stay with Djokovic on the slow clay of RG and I've become more impressed with his attitude and mental fortitude. He's still below par off the return, but he has the ability to improve, and hopefully he'll be backing that monster serve up with some forays to the net. Grass is a surface that is made for his game, and we know he modelled his own game on Sampras. I don't have much to go on with Nishikori on grass, but I'm guessing it's his weakest surface.

ReputationRep:
    Joining in as a massive and an avid tennis fan, Dimitrov will do it one day but not yet. Someone to look out for who I think me and other teens adore is Eugenie Bouchard. Beside the fact she is stunning, she could do it at Wimbledon, she played very well for a set and a bit against Sharapova so watch out for her.

ReputationRep:
    Next year we get Stuttgart as an additional grass court tournament with Wimbledon being held a week later so that'll make for an interesting build up to Wimbledon.

The WTA are also getting an additional grass tournament in Mallorca from 2016 in the build up to Wimbledon.

Now all we need is a Grass court Masters tournament. I can dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kado)
    Next year we get Stuttgart as an additional grass court tournament with Wimbledon being held a week later so that'll make for an interesting build up to Wimbledon.

The WTA are also getting an additional grass tournament in Mallorca from 2016 in the build up to Wimbledon.

Now all we need is a Grass court Masters tournament. I can dream.
    A masters 1000 on grass could really help Murray to possibly be World Number 1 in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but has queens finished? I wanted to know how the uk no2 did can't remember his name though.
    Can't wait for tennis this year only 10 pound a year for me with 2 concrete and two grass courts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1Fan)
    Joining in as a massive and an avid tennis fan, Dimitrov will do it one day but not yet. Someone to look out for who I think me and other teens adore is Eugenie Bouchard. Beside the fact she is stunning, she could do it at Wimbledon, she played very well for a set and a bit against Sharapova so watch out for her.
    Agree there, lots of teens love her and think grass may be her favourite surface so think she's a contender to win.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The seedings for Wimbledon are out, and top 4 are:

1. Djokovic
    2. Nadal
    3. Murray
    4. Federer

It bothers me that Wimbledon are allowed to have independent seedings when no other tournament does it. Granted Nadal's record on grass is terrible at the moment but regardless he is world #1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kado)
    The seedings for Wimbledon are out, and top 4 are:

1. Djokovic
    2. Nadal
    3. Murray
    4. Federer

It bothers me that Wimbledon are allowed to have independent seedings when no other tournament does it. Granted Nadal's record on grass is terrible at the moment but regardless he is world #1.
    Why are the seedings different at Wimbledon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WriterOfWrongs)
    Why are the seedings different at Wimbledon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because the overall % of the average player's overall points is very low so it's to allow a better representation of who is better on grass.

They add 100% of the player's previous years grass court points and 75% of 2 years ago. (I'm pretty certain this is correct)

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be an overall rank of all courts then seeds on said surface

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Tenn...race-Malaysia/

Del Potro intends to return no later than Malaysia.

Before then he's going to sacrifice 1700 points and drop to ~15. Afterwards he has to defend ~1800 points and gain another ~1000 if he wants to contest the WTF.

Being reasonable he's defending too many points, i expect him to finish the season around 20th. The only exception to this would be if he could be back for Washington. He'd defending ~1000 points in August but could make fair gains in Montreal and the US Open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvalidUsername)
    Because the overall % of the average player's overall points is very low so it's to allow a better representation of who is better on grass.

They add 100% of the player's previous years grass court points and 75% of 2 years ago. (I'm pretty certain this is correct)
    Ah right. So they don't do this at the French but with clay and just stick to international rankings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I calculated this before and the seedings check out fine. The Wimbledon formula seems to be quite a reasonable system in my view

ReputationRep:
    Grass is the most unique surface and Murray at the moment should rightfully be ahead of Wawrinka, and the same goes with Djokovic and Nadal.

Nadal's recent grass court results are first round loss in Halle 14, first round loss Wimbledon 13, second round loss Wimbledon 12 and quarter finals at Halle in 2012. In comparison Djokovic has Wimbledon final 13 and Wmbledon semi 12 and Olympic semi 12, so those account for more points and therefore in my opinion and in the computer's opinion he should be Number 1 seed taking into account his last 2 years on grass and his No 2 ranking in world.

Like it or not, that's how they do it at Wimbledon and it is the best Grand Slam so I guess they don't have to argue against it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.