Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm up for that I think I may be an unpopular choice though as I'm bringing my girlfriend and that means she/anyone in the house won't really be able to escape council tax?

If it's a big group then it's only like £5 a week each. But I could understand why people wouldn't want to move in with us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I'm up for that I think I may be an unpopular choice though as I'm bringing my girlfriend and that means she/anyone in the house won't really be able to escape council tax?

If it's a big group then it's only like £5 a week each. But I could understand why people wouldn't want to move in with us
    I lived in London last year, 3 students and 1 non-student. My non-student friend was liable for all the council tax. She did get a 25% reduction though. So as long as the students provide proof of their status your girlfriend would be the only one to pay.

Not sure if it'll be the same in Coventry? But that's all I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redchair)
    I lived in London last year, 3 students and 1 non-student. My non-student friend was liable for all the council tax. She did get a 25% reduction though. So as long as the students provide proof of their status your girlfriend would be the only one to pay.

Not sure if it'll be the same in Coventry? But that's all I know
    Ohh I know, but there's no way she could afford to pay the whole lot by herself :P I figured if I lived with other couples who had non-student partners, it'd be easier just to split it between us even if technically exempt?

But that could make me very unpopular :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Ohh I know, but there's no way she could afford to pay the whole lot by herself :P I figured if I lived with other couples who had non-student partners, it'd be easier just to split it between us even if technically exempt?

Ooooh my bad. Could work out if others with non-student partners are up for it, good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redchair)
    Ooooh my bad. Could work out if others with non-student partners are up for it, good luck with it
    Fingers crossed! As I say it's much easier to persuade people if there's 6+ of you and it's a fiver, rather than 3 of you and £20+ a week :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Fingers crossed! As I say it's much easier to persuade people if there's 6+ of you and it's a fiver, rather than 3 of you and £20+ a week :P
    Somehow I doubt you will find a single student willing to pay as much as £1 towards your girlfriend's council tax.

I would advice to look for a house share with professionals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Nurse)
    Somehow I doubt you will find a single student willing to pay as much as £1 towards your girlfriend's council tax.

I would advice to look for a house share with professionals.
    Yes I am aware it's unlikely, unless it's with another couple as previously mentioned as they would be in a similar predicament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Yes I am aware it's unlikely, unless it's with another couple as previously mentioned as they would be in a similar predicament.
    Still IMO you have more chances of finding a room in a professional house share. It would also work out cheaper in terms of council tax, since all your housemates, with the exception of you, would be sharing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deslucia)
    Hey guys anyone considering moving in with peeps from TSR? I won't be at the meet-your-fellows in July unfortunately but would be nice to move in with people, I'm not a huge fan of halls.
    I personally don't have a car so would be looking at somewhere closeish to uni so I can cycle!

TLDR: anyone fancies some house hunting together?

Edit: sorry I'm late, there has been lots of housing talking. Earlesdon sounds nice, would be happy to move in with anyone that doesn't mind my boyfriend coming up for weekends
    So for people talking earlier - I'd be in

(Original post by ellie_r94)
    Depending on the exact date of the post-offer day I may also not be able to make it and would be in the same position as you. I'm also reluctant to move I to halls, mainly because of how expensive they are!

I'd be up for moving in with TSR people, am excited to meet everyone! I'm fine with boy/girlfriends visiting In agreement that Earlsdon sounds nice, all I really want is to be within reasonable cycling distance!

I'm hoping to go to the July offer day but regardless am looking to move into a house rather than halls if pos. To quote Matt, long as no one is planning on practicing their surgery skills on other flatmates in the night (and more importantly, has the ability to do dishes and hoover on the odd occasion!) then I'm fairly easy about who I stay with! I'm also a non-driver but have a bike so would have similar aims location wise. Budget is restricted to an extent though, I'm Scottish so don't get any student finance for a 2nd degree. Can afford somewhere reasonable but not a 5 star mansion.

Feel free to PM me to exchange numbers if you want to talk more. Can't really help with the house hunting though; I'm currently 600 miles away from Coventry so can't just pop down for the day. Would be relying on good judgement and photos from anyone willing to stay with me!

(Original post by MJK91)
    From our brief meeting at interview I'd be happy to stay with you but can't say I'm over keen on paying at least £250 p.a. extra on someone else's tax. Keep me updated if you're still keen on looking for somewhere with other students but I can't justify basically paying over my parent's money to someone I've never met. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)

Hey Matt, if she's in a lower earning bracket I'm pretty sure she can get a decreased tax rate

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Coventry & Leamington next week to grab stuff off estate agents and take a look around at the areas. (I live in Birmingham so it's not that far to do so). Not planning on dishing out the uni halls fees.

So if anyone wants info on how the house hunting goes, let me know!
    (On a side note, I wouldn't be bringing an extra person to the house-sharing scene + I can cook/bake hahah XD)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoredGuar)
    I'm going to Coventry & Leamington next week to grab stuff off estate agents and take a look around at the areas. (I live in Birmingham so it's not that far to do so). Not planning on dishing out the uni halls fees.

(On a side note, I wouldn't be bringing an extra person to the house-sharing scene + I can cook/bake hahah XD)
    I'd like to know please. Makes things more difficult when I don't know who/how many people I'm staying with but if you can pass on any notes that could be useful.

On your side note, I lack both the ability to cook and bake. I can hoover though and after 3 years in the Territorial Army my dish washing and toilet cleaning skills are on point!

ReputationRep:

Would definitely be interested in the house hunting, I'm not forking out for halls! I also won't have an extra person with me, but baking/cooking is something I too can bring to the table, we'd be very well fed aha

ReputationRep:

I would also really appreciate the info you get.

I can't cook, but I'm willing to share indian food that my mum cooks when I visit home. But I clean really well and am willing go clean the kitchen.

The only downside is I have a really bad taste in music, but apart from that. I think I'm an alright candidate for a housemate. Just sayin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome_Alien)
    I would also really appreciate the info you get.

I can't cook, but I'm willing to share indian food that my mum cooks when I visit home. But I clean really well and am willing go clean the kitchen.

The only downside is I have a really bad taste in music, but apart from that. I think I'm an alright candidate for a housemate. Just sayin.
    Indian food is always appreciated :P

Out of interest, what do you count as bad taste in music??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_r94)
    Indian food is always appreciated :P

Out of interest, what do you count as bad taste in music??
    Indian food is pretty dope. Justin Bieber. You can't get worse than that, I can't help it. His songs are so catchy. Also I listen to a lot of gangster rap. Which people don't appreciate either. But it's quite poetic at times.

Yes please for info sharing! Halls look far too expensive for what you get.

Also just mentioning i'm ok at cooking but very happy to clean

Indian food is pretty dope. Justin Bieber. You can't get worse than that, I can't help it. His songs are so catchy. Also I listen to a lot of gangster rap. Which people don't appreciate either. But it's quite poetic at times.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of Justin.....

If you need a housemate who can appreciate JB and indian food i'm your guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am1992)
    From our brief meeting at interview I'd be happy to stay with you but can't say I'm over keen on paying at least £250 p.a. extra on someone else's tax. Keep me updated if you're still keen on looking for somewhere with other students but I can't justify basically paying over my parent's money to someone I've never met. Sorry.
    Don't apologise

To be fair I think I just over complicated things anyway. Council tax isn't much of an issue with a fairly large house share anyway. I suspect it's negated by the about you'd save by dividing rent by extra people.

Consider me in on any plans. Ignore the council tax dilemma, I'll get around it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok that really is bad music ahaha. My taste in music is just very eclectic, something for everyone is how I like to look at it!

ReputationRep:

You sound like my kind of person

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.