Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently applying for HCA positions in hospitals in London? Has anyone done this and have any advice for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    Thanks! Ahh I'm 2 days (16 hours) short anyway. Not sure how I'd be able to make up those hours hmm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have until your application but I'm sure you can do it before your interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    You have until your application but I'm sure you can do it before your interview.
    Do you reckon shadowing doctors is included? It says on their website: The types of experience that we value include voluntary work in a nursing home, care home, hospice or hospital volunteer as well as employment in professional healthcare roles.

Maybe I'll try and get a part time job in a care home near me, but I'm running out of time tbh as I don't really want to be doing it when back at uni. Eh, I'll email them about the shadowing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon shadowing doctors is included? It says on their website: The types of experience that we value include voluntary work in a nursing home, care home, hospice or hospital volunteer as well as employment in professional healthcare roles.

Maybe I'll try and get a part time job in a care home near me, but I'm running out of time tbh as I don't really want to be doing it when back at uni. Eh, I'll email them about the shadowing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shadowing is part of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    FINALLY got an interview! It's not HCA but a NA job in a psychiatric ward. My undergraduate is in psychology and even though we didn't do much abnormal, I'm hoping it'll work in my favour.

Anyone got any tips for interview? Also - I'm right in not telling them that I'm applying for medicine? I'm worried if I do they won't give me the job as I won't be long-term......

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The HCA/NA jobs etc they normally expect some people to be applying for medicine so it should be ok to mention it if they ask in the interview. Although with the NHS in its current state they may be wanting more permanent staff. It's up to you but if you do say it make sure to put a good spin on it as with everything you say in interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What order do people think these unis will be in in terms of UKCAT cut off scores? Here's my highly subjective order...

KCL (Highest)
    Newcastle
    Soton
    Barts
    Warwick (Lowest)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4757)
    What order do people think these unis will be in in terms of UKCAT cut off scores? Here's my highly subjective order...

KCL (Highest)
    Newcastle
    Soton
    Barts
    Warwick (Lowest)
    Newcastle
    Barts
    KCL
    Soton
    Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    FINALLY got an interview! It's not HCA but a NA job in a psychiatric ward. My undergraduate is in psychology and even though we didn't do much abnormal, I'm hoping it'll work in my favour.

Anyone got any tips for interview? Also - I'm right in not telling them that I'm applying for medicine? I'm worried if I do they won't give me the job as I won't be long-term......

Posted from TSR Mobile
    HCA/NA/CSW roles are entry level and often used to enter the nursing profession, either to go on to the nursing courses in the UK or as an interim for international nursing graduates waiting to get their pin number. What I'm trying to explain is that people do not tend to be HCA/NA/CSW for life, any capable manager will understand that.

As a graduate applying for an very entry level role I would be very surprised if you had no ambition to progress. To be honest I'd be very wary if you hadn't considered progression in any job.

I would be open but cautious, gauge the managers position. Some managers can take the opposite view, but those are usually the sort of people who wouldn't be very supportive anyway.

For reference I told them at interview and they've been incredibly supportive. Changing shifts at short notice for GAMSAT, interviews etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting really stressed out about this application. I really want to do this and I have for years but now I feel sometimes that my motivation is really low because theres just so little chance of actually getting it. I started my Job in the hospital yesterday and it made me even more sure that this is what I want to do but statistically the chances are just so low. Anyone else feeling like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kj0511)
    I'm getting really stressed out about this application. I really want to do this and I have for years but now I feel sometimes that my motivation is really low because theres just so little chance of actually getting it. I started my Job in the hospital yesterday and it made me even more sure that this is what I want to do but statistically the chances are just so low. Anyone else feeling like this?
    Exactly the same! I wanted to initially do medicine before doing biomed but just missed the A level grade requirements. I didn't realise how difficult getting in was at graduate entry. It just doesn't make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same! I wanted to initially do medicine before doing biomed but just missed the A level grade requirements. I didn't realise how difficult getting in was at graduate entry. It just doesn't make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you graduated yet or are you applying in your second year? I think my main concern is my academics to be honest. I have what they ask for, just kind of at the bottom end so I really need everything else to be great and I'm just not convinced I'm going to get there. I am applying after just graduating so luckily I can put all my time into this, but motivation for something I'm almost certainly not going to get is hard.

ReputationRep:
    Have you graduated yet or are you applying in your second year? I think my main concern is my academics to be honest. I have what they ask for, just kind of at the bottom end so I really need everything else to be great and I'm just not convinced I'm going to get there. I am applying after just graduating so luckily I can put all my time into this, but motivation for something I'm almost certainly not going to get is hard.
    Nah I've not graduated yet. Starting my third year in September. Me too, I'm predicted 2.1, but not a strong 2.1 so I'm hoping I'll do well on the UKCAT to make up for it. Yeah, I've been so unmotivated during this degree as it's not the degree I wanted to really do so it's been difficult to want to study and do well when all I want to do is medicine and now I see I still don't stand much chance. I understand where you're coming from though.

ReputationRep:
    its really hard going for it! But someone's got to get in! Its just the ukcat that may hold me back! I haven't done it yet, but I'm really worried about it! How on earth do people get even close to 900 I'll never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richardjamesford)
    its really hard going for it! But someone's got to get in! Its just the ukcat that may hold me back! I haven't done it yet, but I'm really worried about it! How on earth do people get even close to 900 I'll never know.
    How's your revision for it going? I did a practice before I started any revision and got 650 but I want to get at least 750 and I'm really worried I won't get there.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I've not graduated yet. Starting my third year in September. Me too, I'm predicted 2.1, but not a strong 2.1 so I'm hoping I'll do well on the UKCAT to make up for it. Yeah, I've been so unmotivated during this degree as it's not the degree I wanted to really do so it's been difficult to want to study and do well when all I want to do is medicine and now I see I still don't stand much chance. I understand where you're coming from though.
    yeah I'm in exactly the same position just a year later! How has your tutor been about your application?

ReputationRep:
    yeah I'm in exactly the same position just a year later! How has your tutor been about your application?
    My tutor's done nothing. My original tutor left after my first year so I have a new tutor who I barely know. I told the new one last year that I wanted to apply for medicine the following year, but overall she didn't seem to know much about the medicine application process when I was discussing it with her, although she did mention that she was with one of her tutees submitting their application on the deadline day and warned me not to do the same haha... I'll meet up with her when I go back to uni so we'll probably talk about it more then. I think she'll just give me a generic reference tbh. What are tutors supposed to be like with applications haha?

ReputationRep:
    How's your revision for it going? I did a practice before I started any revision and got 650 but I want to get at least 750 and I'm really worried I won't get there.
    650 before revision!? That's good! Yeah I need 750 plus really too. Haven't had anything over 700 in practice yet though. Just hoping the average scores this year are all low!! When's yours? Any part you're finding extra difficult? Im struggling with vr (the reading comprehension questions), and being able to answer the maths quick enough! AR is pretty okay I think.

ReputationRep:
    My tutor's done nothing. My original tutor left after my first year so I have a new tutor who I barely know. I told the new one last year that I wanted to apply for medicine the following year, but overall she didn't seem to know much about the medicine application process when I was discussing it with her, although she did mention that she was with one of her tutees submitting their application on the deadline day and warned me not to do the same haha... I'll meet up with her when I go back to uni so we'll probably talk about it more then. I think she'll just give me a generic reference tbh. What are tutors supposed to be like with applications haha?
    I dont know i guess haha. I don't really know my personal tutor that well because i never really needed him but having done third year I was lucky that I had the option of choosing my dissertation supervisor and since chatting to her about it she seems really supportive and happy to help and she was part of my unis medicine faculty so hopefully she can offer some good advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richardjamesford)
    650 before revision!? That's good! Yeah I need 750 plus really too. Haven't had anything over 700 in practice yet though. Just hoping the average scores this year are all low!! When's yours? Any part you're finding extra difficult? Im struggling with vr (the reading comprehension questions), and being able to answer the maths quick enough! AR is pretty okay I think.
    I literally cannot do the maths quick enough. I can't even type it in the calculator quick enough haha! I think the VR is ok, the AR is ok, QR I'm just too slow but its DA I find really hard to be honest. and the SJT is frustrating because a lot of the time I'm just slightly off, like putting really inappropriate when its just not ideal or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Graduate Entry is a tough route to go down that's true but people do have to be given places! I was in the exact same situation as you guys last year.

I was going to apply this year with you guys as that would mean that I could get more work experience for my application as I have now graduated. In the end I decided to apply last year to see what the process was like with no real hope of gaining a place. My UKCAT was 640 average so that instantly stopped me applying for any of those unis which then meant I had to face the dreaded GAMSAT.

After sitting the GAMSAT and BMAT I applied right on the deadline day not knowing the results to the tests (as you don't get them till November if I remember correctly) and my work experience at that point equated to 1 week shadowing a junior doctor.

I managed to secure interviews at 2 universities at which point I had an extra week shadowing a consultant and 3 months volunteering on a ward and was placed on the waiting list for both.

A couple of months later I was rejected from one of the waiting lists leaving me with just one choice left. I wasn't very hopeful as you can imagine. However a couple of months after the initial offers were given out I had a phone call saying I had gained a place on the course!

I just want to let you guys know that it isn't a quick and straight forward process. Don't give up hope as if it's the career you really want to do then you'll do it. Don't be disheartened if you are unsuccessful this year as you can always reapply. Think of it as a way to get familiar with the application/interview process.

Finally I would just like to say a big good luck to everyone applying this year! Keep powering through!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.