Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by newblood)
    Not if you've already sat STEP (and achieved the required grades) they won't
    I know of someone who was rejected by the other place last year and went on to get 1 1 1 in STEP. He took a gap year and now Cambridge have asked him to redo any STEP and get an S.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I know of someone who was rejected by the other place last year and went on to get 1 1 1 in STEP. He took a gap year and now Cambridge have asked him to redo any STEP and get an S.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what college and whats his username?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    what college and whats his username?
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Because I find it hard to believe,especially given it asks for an S in any STEP paper when cambridge dont care about STEP I at all for mathematicians.

But if true I am curious to see what college gave the offer

ReputationRep:
    Because I find it hard to believe,especially given it asks for an S in any STEP paper when cambridge dont care about STEP I at all for mathematicians.

They do, all the international and IB people got 1,S offers in STEP 1 n 2 from my college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    They do, all the international and IB people got 1,S offers in STEP 1 n 2 from my college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Youre college is messed though. So all those S,1 offers were for Papers I and II? That is true if they havent taken further maths. I find it hard to believe that even fitz would accept that many people with no fmaths A2.

ReputationRep:
    Youre college is messed though. So all those S,1 offers were for Papers I and II? That is true if they havent taken further maths. I find it hard to believe that even fitz would accept that many people with no fmaths A2.
    Na, not all. The people who do IB got S1 in step 1 n 2 aswell as internationals who do IB. The ones who did A levels maths and FM, the ones i asked had S1 in step 2,3.
    It was only like 3 people i spoke to who did IB and had s1 in step 1 n 2. The others had it for step 2 n 3 which was around 3 people. Which in total is around half the people who had offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Na, not all. The people who do IB got S1 in step 1 n 2 aswell as internationals who do IB. The ones who did A levels maths and FM, the ones i asked had S1 in step 2,3.
    It was only like 3 people i spoke to who did IB and had s1 in step 1 n 2. The others had it for step 2 n 3 which was around 3 people. Which in total is around half the people who had offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its just the IB thing spec is messed up in terms of further maths apparently. Otherwise some of them would have 11 in 2 n 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

I don't know the college but I do know it wasn't Trinity, Christ's, Queens' or Churchill.

Given he already has 1 1 1 they probably just want to make sure he's still up to scratch after a gap year hence the S in any STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bit late, but anyway:

Queens'
    Unconditional (Gap year)
    Chinese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    Bit late, but anyway:

Queens'
    Unconditional (Gap year)
    Chinese
    Ooh I have an offer from Queens' too, have you studied Chinese before just out of curiosity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Ooh I have an offer from Queens' too, have you studied Chinese before just out of curiosity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, but the course doesn't require any previous knowledge of the language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    Nope, but the course doesn't require any previous knowledge of the language.
    Ah cool I studied it to AS level so I was wondering if I'd have anyone to practice it with haha, I don't get too much at the minute

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Ah cool I studied it to AS level so I was wondering if I'd have anyone to practice it with haha, I don't get too much at the minute

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For now you will have to help me, but in time there will be plenty of opportunities to practice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the college but I do know it wasn't Trinity, Christ's, Queens' or Churchill.

Given he already has 1 1 1 they probably just want to make sure he's still up to scratch after a gap year hence the S in any STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well given I have 1 1 1 in STEP and have an unconditional cambridge offer im just curious (and i think you have probably mistaken this person for me so i dont know why you think theres an S offer involved- which is why i still ask what username). If it is a different person, probably his interviews didnt go well enough so they wanted to be on the safe side, but i have talked to many colleges (including Queen's Trinity and Christ's) who all said if i were to apply with my current grades then any offer i get would be an unconditional offer. And this appears to be the general consensus among all colleges
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Well given I have 1 1 1 in STEP and have an unconditional cambridge offer im just curious (and i think you have probably mistaken this person for me so i dont know why you think theres an S offer involved- which is why i still ask what username). If it is a different person, probably his interviews didnt go well enough so they wanted to be on the safe side, but i have talked to many colleges (including Queen's Trinity and Christ's) who all said if i were to apply with my current grades then any offer i get would be an unconditional offer. And this appears to be the general consensus among all colleges
    He's a friend of my son.

ReputationRep:
    He's a friend of my son.
    Oh curious, guess interview werent so great - sorry to doubt you, just seemed strange. Please find out what college as i am interested to know

ReputationRep:
    Yo people join in - let's get hurting so that we can sort or soon to be colleges one this signs is game over!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2226344
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh curious, guess interview werent so great - sorry to doubt you, just seemed strange. Please find out what college as i am interested to know
    You are making assumptions. Anyway it's not important. My point is we shouldn't be telling gap year Maths applicants they won't be asked to take STEP again. Congrats that they didn't for you but my case shows they can, and do.

The ATs judge applicants holistically and make whatever offer they feel suits the particular situation.

ReputationRep:
    You are making assumptions. Anyway it's not important. My point is we shouldn't be telling gap year Maths applicants they won't be asked to take STEP again. Congrats that they didn't for you but my case shows they can, and do.

The ATs judge applicants holistically and make whatever offer they feel suits the particular situation.
    Yes but its very rare. yes im making an assumption, but it is a likely one given his grades clearly werent the problem and christs admissions tutor told me that i would only get a conditional offer if my interview went badly and they still wanted to give an offer.

But in general the policy is a gapyear mathematician without step will have to sit in gapyear, one with 1,1 will almost certainly not have to. I have this on official authority, whixh is why i should still like to know what college. And its pretty likely due to bad interview (or bad alevels i suppose) thst he was asked for S

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.