Maths Uni Chat Watch

elsa_89
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
Hathlan, you look rather fetching in the Maths meet pics.

Who is who of the others? (Except Muon, I know who he is. And I presume SimonM is the one getting excited over yellow books.)

(Yes I KNOW this is the wrong thread but as if I can be bothered to find the other one. AS IF.)
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by elsa_89)
Who is who of the others? (Except Muon, I know who he is. And I presume SimonM is the one getting excited over yellow books.)
Lazy
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1087050

You can find Tom(Totally) in his profile (yes, he may look different with his scar but I'm sure you can recognize him). I'm with Hathlan and Tom on the train and you can then deduce who sonofdot is.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
Cambridge mathematicians: anyone for going to some Part IB lectures and beating the **** out of this guy? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=359121
elsa_89
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
Poor Simba. :sad:
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
Cambridge mathematicians: anyone for going to some Part IB lectures and beating the **** out of this guy? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=359121
Haha what a joker.

So I was at this thing a couple of days ago right and the guy next to me says "Do you go on TSR?" and I said yes. He said "You're Swayum aren't you?", which I admitted to. But he wouldn't tell me who he was! Apparently he has over 3000 posts and has posted in the LSE forum, so I really should have him figured out, but I'm totally stuck.

He told me that a bunch of people were playing pool once, all who've used TSR at one point, and they were all like "We really wanna know who Swayum is"

Haha.

It's funny when I walk past TSRians in real life whose identity I know but they don't know mine . I would be willing to tell them mine if I were alone with them or something.
ste0731
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I COULD CRY!
Jedward are out
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by around)
No, 5|26-1 so 26(mod 5) = 1.
Yeah, I did formalise it more better but I went to gym so couldn't go and post here.

What I meant to say a (mob b) = r, if and only if a-bq=r, where 0\leq r <b and q is a non negative integer. Something like that.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Yeah, I did formalise it more better but I went to gym so couldn't go and post here.

What I meant to say a (mob b) = r, if and only if a-bq=r, where 0\leq r <b and q is a non negative integer. Something like that.
q can be negative.
Small123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You could just say q is a natural number :p:.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Stop being so negative you guys.
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
******* caps
nota bene
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simba)
Methods example sheet 3 and multiplayer online trivia => Simba's body clock now thinks 6-7am is a suitable time to go to bed . And with that, I bid you all goodnight <3 .
I went to bed at 6 yesterday, because I was playing poker. Then I woke up 3 pm today and now I'm again going to bed at 4.30, despite having a lecture at 8, which I will certainly not attend. I might set my alarm for the 10 lecture, but chances are high I do like last week and come in just in time for my 4pm!

It's comforting to see many other mathematicians with similar body clocks - makes me feel less bad for not attending any lectures before 2pm last week:p:
Simba
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
Hah, well, naturally I can't condone violence, but if any of you fancy videotaping beating him in a mental arithmetic battle or something else similarly embarrassing, that'd be an amusing video to view on YouTube.

On the topic of him, if you're interested in what he looks like, I've been provided by someone with this picture of him in a rather dashing shade of pink - feel free to private message me if you'd like to see...

I wrote a private message to him last night trying to get to the bottom of what his problem is with me before deciding not to send it since I realised that all it is is that he's just a bit of a <insert word>... It's weird, pretty much everyone else seems to get on perfectly well with me. Not 100% sure what prompted him to have a dig.

(Original post by elsa_89)
Poor Simba. :sad:
Hehe, no need to pity me *Hugs*, he makes me laugh . I just wonder what his problem with me is that made him want to start having a go...

(Original post by Small123)
You could just say q is a natural number :p:.
Did you just imply 0 is a natural number :eek: ?!

(Original post by nota bene)
I went to bed at 6 yesterday, because I was playing poker. Then I woke up 3 pm today and now I'm again going to bed at 4.30, despite having a lecture at 8, which I will certainly not attend. I might set my alarm for the 10 lecture, but chances are high I do like last week and come in just in time for my 4pm!

It's comforting to see many other mathematicians with similar body clocks - makes me feel less bad for not attending any lectures before 2pm last week:p:
Mmm, I've kind of resigned myself now to the fact that my bedtime is hopelessly skewed once more, and won't correct itself again for a long while, since during the holidays I tend to sleep ~10am until ~5:30pm anyway ... It's quite a strange thought that on some days in winter, I don't see any daylight whatsoever since I sleep through it all :p: ! I'm trying not to play poker this term since I'd end up enjoying it too much and doing it instead of example sheets...
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, that was how it was explained in a workshop about group theory.

How would you calculate 26mod5 as

I thought it was something like this

26mod5 = 1 mod5 = 1.
Quite enjoyed todays 2hr lecture was interesting and i understood it.

However have you had a look at week 9 Q5i ?
It seems SO SIMPLE yet I can't get it correct yet I'm getting all the harder questions correct..

For everyone else:
3m+5n=1
Find all integer solutions.

I have m = 2 and n = -1 from euclids algorithm.
Gcd = 1
(2-5t,-1+3t) = 1 for all t E integers.
However it's not correct I'm sure its a small stupid error somewhere.
Small123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simba)
Did you just imply 0 is a natural number :eek: ?!
Oops, just skimmed past and saw q is a non-negative integer :p:.
ForGreatJustice
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ste0731)
Quite enjoyed todays 2hr lecture was interesting and i understood it.

However have you had a look at week 9 Q5i ?
It seems SO SIMPLE yet I can't get it correct yet I'm getting all the harder questions correct..

For everyone else:
3m+5n=1
Find all integer solutions.

I have m = 2 and n = -1 from euclids algorithm.
Gcd = 1
(2-5t,-1+3t) = 1 for all t E integers.
However it's not correct I'm sure its a small stupid error somewhere.
it looks correct, why do you think it's not?
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ForGreatJustice)
it looks correct, why do you think it's not?
SChoolboy error in checking :o: :o: :o: my bad :p:

I fail at easy maths xD

This is why you don't check your maths! It causes errors waste of 20mins
Simplicity
Rep:
?
I thought I had to learn module arithmetic, but thats this week not last week.

Stats courework I need to do another one. I hate stats. Its the worst subject ever.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
http://www.spikedmath.com/

Just found this funny comic.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.spikedmath.com/

Just found this funny comic.
Stats coursework.. It's not out yet is it?

Eurgh just found it. 2weeks 2 days to do it. Shall have a crack at it on thursday

Edit: can't believe lost 3 marks due to him wording the question stupid on first coursework. And all my mates got 38 with SAME ANSWERS! So unfair.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads