Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Ah right. I'm sure ChCh says that we can have a toaster and a kettle in our rooms because we have no access to cooking facilities. Hmm..
    False, but yeah we can have a toaster and kettle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laeti)
    In physics we were sent work to do along with our welcome pack which we had to hand in at our first meeting in 0th week - I think that's pretty uniform across the colleges (for physics).
    Thanks for that. Did you get that after results day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Does anybody know if this is acceptable as a toaster, or do I have to settle for boring toast all the time?
    That is one hell of a toaster!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Thanks for that. Did you get that after results day?

Yeah it came about a week afterwards. It was a pretty long problem set and we were told to do as much as we could and it was mostly mechanics, calculus, nothing we hadn't done before IIRC (n.b. this was four years ago so it might have changed).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyIsOptimistic)
    I haven't been sent anything yet My college said they'll send me the date from which it'll be available soon though, I figure I'll have a lot to do in the summer. I hope it's not double the amount for people with two languages!
    As a joint linguist you will have a bit more reading to do but not an extravagant amount more than the German/French soles. In my college, it's like the French sole people do 1.5 subjects whereas we do 2.. I had 4 essays a fortnight and they had 3. A bit more challenging at times.. but not too bad.

With regards the reading list, if your college parents have got in touch ask them what the most important things to read first were. My spanish tutor said just to read two of the texts for the first term, which took the pressure off a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandardCarpet)
    For chemistry we were set our first tute (which means set the prep work to be handed in before the tutorial, comprising notes and a problem sheet and expected to take about 8 hours to do - but this varies from college to college) on the Thursday of freshers', due in the following Wednesday I think. So naturally I didn't start till the Sunday evening, and regretted it massively!
    What college are you at? I've got an offer for Chemistry at Univ

ReputationRep:
    Google Maps have an awesome 3D Radcliffe Camera! Yeah, I was looking up my college on Google Maps... I guess I am at the 'can't wait to go' stage, then.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinobi93)
    Yeah, I was looking up my college on Google Maps...
    Haha, I've done this about a million times since getting my offer (only slight exaggeration)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinobi93)
    Google Maps have an awesome 3D Radcliffe Camera! Yeah, I was looking up my college on Google Maps... I guess I am at the 'can't wait to go' stage, then.
    Trust me, the "can't wait to go" never really leaves you in some form, it just changes into the "I can't wait to go back to Ox" stage :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Haha, I've done this about a million times since getting my offer (only slight exaggeration)
    Have you seen the cool panoramic virtual tours of some colleges (incl. Exeter) on the Oxford Chemistry site?

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/tours.html

(sorry shinobi93, don't think Hertford has been done yet)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)
    Have you seen the cool panoramic virtual tours of some colleges (incl. Exeter) on the Oxford Chemistry site?

Ah, thanks for that! I saw the Merton one when applying (applied to Merton, got into Exeter) and forgot about them, now I can spend ages looking at the Exeter one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyIsOptimistic)
    I haven't been sent anything yet My college said they'll send me the date from which it'll be available soon though, I figure I'll have a lot to do in the summer. I hope it's not double the amount for people with two languages!
    If you do two languages, you won't have double the reading list because for example if you were doing German and Spanish, for German you wouldn't have half of my reading list (which would mean no Film, Medieval German or Philosophy modules), and the same for Spanish. People who do a language sole have extra modules to fill up the gap filled by another language for dual linguists.

You will of course have double the work regarding language study, but it shouldn't be a HUGE difference... not on the same level as doing two A Levels instead of one, for example.

What languages are you doing? You can always find the prelims handbook on the internet! It's exactly the same a s the one they send you, or at least it is for German

ReputationRep:
    What date is the 2011 Matriculation held on, does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_univer...s_of_term.html

2011-12
    Michaelmas: Sunday 9 October-Saturday, 3 December
    Hilary: Sunday 15 January-Saturday, 10 March
    Trinity: Sunday 22 April-Saturday, 16 June

SO EXCITING!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barefootfiona)
    If you do two languages, you won't have double the reading list because for example if you were doing German and Spanish, for German you wouldn't have half of my reading list (which would mean no Film, Medieval German or Philosophy modules), and the same for Spanish. People who do a language sole have extra modules to fill up the gap filled by another language for dual linguists.

You will of course have double the work regarding language study, but it shouldn't be a HUGE difference... not on the same level as doing two A Levels instead of one, for example.

What languages are you doing? You can always find the prelims handbook on the internet! It's exactly the same a s the one they send you, or at least it is for German

Ah okay that's a relief. I'm doing German and Spanish
    & thanks will look up the handbook now, although will almost definitely not attempt anything until July!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)

(sorry shinobi93, don't think Hertford has been done yet)
    This is fascinating! Why didn't I know about this site?

Really, I ought to be revising...

ReputationRep:
    Normally Saturday of 1st week, which this year will be 15th October.

ReputationRep:
    I've just been on a revision course in Oxford, and I have a few questions...

Does anyone know of a pub in town with either a TV or pool table in it?
    Is it worth using a dongle to get wireless internet, seeing as it doesn't seem to exist in Oxford?
    And will we have to stay in Oxford out of term time, seeing as they're only 8 week terms?

ReputationRep:
    The King's Arms just next to Hertford (pretty much the most central pub in Oxford) has a TV, but it's always busy and it's also expensive.
    Not sure about pool tables, but the Angel and Greyhound (just over Magdalen Bridge) has a pub billiards table. But surely it's more fun to find out by visiting as many as possible!

While you're studying at Oxford you should have an ethernet connection provided by college - so even if you didn't have it at the revision course you will have internet from October.

You can stay in Oxford out of term time, but you don't have to - apart from 0th week collections - unless your course demands it (eg Engineering which has longer terms sometimes) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundB)
    The King's Arms just next to Hertford (pretty much the most central pub in Oxford) has a TV, but it's always busy and it's also expensive.
    Not sure about pool tables, but the Angel and Greyhound (just over Magdalen Bridge) has a pub billiards table. But surely it's more fun to find out by visiting as many as possible!

While you're studying at Oxford you should have an ethernet connection provided by college - so even if you didn't have it at the revision course you will have internet from October.

You can stay in Oxford out of term time, but you don't have to - apart from 0th week collections - unless your course demands it (eg Engineering which has longer terms sometimes) .
    We went searching for a TV on the revision course but couldn't find any! So annoying as we wanted to watch the Champions' League. We went in the King's Arms... maybe we missed it. :/ It's just frustrating as in most other cities it's easy to find both, such as here in Cardiff.
    And thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.