Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: What mark do you think you got out of 70?
    0-20
    3.00%
    21-40
    6.00%
    41-50
    14.50%
    51-60
    39.50%
    61-70
    37.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    Yes! So, if only 1 criteria is met, only refraction takes place. Am I right?
    But that's what we were saying all along! We were saying if both criteria is not met TIR does not take place!!
    You were the one saying that as long as one is met TIR can take place

ReputationRep:
    Exactly so both criteria's have to be met. You just proved what we've been saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raimonduo)
    In simpler terms, for TIR to occur:

(n^2<n^1)  and   \theta^{i}\geq \theta^{c}
    Not greater than OR equal to. If it is equal to the crit angle then it will refract along the boundary perpendicular to normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    Exactly so both criteria's have to be met. You just proved what we've been saying
    I know right!
    I think he/she was a little confused tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabRoh)
    To be fair the waves was one was very easy so expect a harder 6 marker.
    agreed, formation of a stationary wave is not that difficult to remember once you learn the key parts of it.

Reckon they could ask for an experiment to determine acceleration due to gravity?

Or maybe something on optic fibres discussing the principle features and how they work... idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Sophie-x)
    I actually thought so too, but StalkeR47 has a point.
    Have you had a looked at Question 6 on June 2009?
    i haveee !!! and it is agreeing with mee. the cladding's refractive index is less than core CHECK !! BUTTTTTT 60degrees is less than 69.3degrees (critical angle) UNCHECK !! therefore you dont get T.I.R. hence it refracts. this means both HAVE to occur for T.I.R

ReputationRep:
    I get you! yaaaay!

Thank you so much!
    No probs and thanks for understanding my point! I think it works like this. When You meet 1 criteria(of TIR) and not the other, refraction occurs. When you meet both criteria(of TIR), TIR occurs. when you meet no criteria(of TIR), still refraction occurs. Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    Trust us both have to occur
    Damnnn

Wait, I see. I'm trying to look at the question to closely.
    Basically that question doesn't confirm anything, because when both conditions are not true it doesn't TIR.

I believe you (I think)

ReputationRep:
    No probs and thanks for understanding my point! I think it works like this. When You meet 1 criteria(of TIR) and not the other, refraction occurs. When you meet both criteria(of TIR), TIR occurs. when you meet no criteria(of TIR), still refraction occurs. Am I right?
    Yes, Hallelujah

ReputationRep:
    exactly broo thats what we have been trying to say !!! and you got sophie to think of it in the wrong way :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, see I thought you meant if only one criteria was met then TIR still happens, hence my confusion!

ReputationRep:
    had to rep your post there ! got me to calm down knowing you finally understood what we meant phew !! loool

ReputationRep:
    Yep, see I thought you meant if only one criteria was met then TIR still happens, hence my confusion!
    So do you understand that both have to be met for TIR to occur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryboy94)
    exactly broo thats what we have been trying to say !!! and you got sophie to think of it in the wrong way :eek:
    No! All I was saying that why TIR does not occur if incident substance has larger refractive index than the other? Can you answer this? HUH?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabRoh)
    Not greater than OR equal to. If it is equal to the crit angle then it will refract along the boundary perpendicular to normal.
    there is partial diffraction internally at the critical angle that they sometimes want you to draw on as a dotted line. The main ray is along the boundary.

I reckon we might get a single slit diffraction 6 Marker but i can't think of 6 seperate points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryboy94)
    i haveee !!! and it is agreeing with mee. the cladding's refractive index is less than core CHECK !! BUTTTTTT 60degrees is less than 69.3degrees (critical angle) UNCHECK !! therefore you dont get T.I.R. hence it refracts. this means both HAVE to occur for T.I.R
    I KNOW! Omg, why am I so easily persuaded, this is awful D:

Just re looked at it and I see what he was trying to say, but yeah you're right, and I get it
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    So do you understand that both have to be met for TIR to occur
    No! All I was saying that why TIR does not occur if incident substance has larger refractive index than the other? Can you answer this? HUH? same question.

ReputationRep:
    No! All I was saying that why TIR does not occur if incident substance has larger refractive index than the other? Can you answer this? HUH?
    The incident angle would be lower than the Critical angle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    The incident angle would be lower than the Critical angle
    What about refractive index criteria?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    there is partial diffraction internally at the critical angle that they sometimes want you to draw on as a dotted line. The main ray is along the boundary.

I reckon we might get a single slit diffraction 6 Marker but i can't think of 6 seperate points.
    At least 1 mark on definition/equation

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.