SQA Results Day 2013 - Discussion Watch

mysqa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A Word About Appeals
As far as appeals go, you need to speak to your school asap. They will appeal on your behalf, but they will only do it if they think you have a realistic chance of success. Any appeal must be based on evidence that you're capable of achieving the mark you think you should ahve had. This will usually mean you'll have to have done well int he prelim - but even that is not a guarantee of success. Not all prelims are created equal, so if you got an A in a prelim that seems perhaps less rigorous that it might have been than your appeal may not stand up. The key is that we have to be fair to those who have achieved the standard, so your school really does have to be able to put together a compelling case on your behalf.
Kerrias
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty happy with my results considering the amount of effort in this year i.e. next to none,

I passed the Scottish Baccalaureate in Languages with an A in AH French, C in AH Spanish and a B in the project (and also got an A at Int 2 cookery haha)

A bit disappointed with the C in Spanish, if it had been a B I could have got a Distinction in the Bacc but I shouldn't be surprised because of how little I tried and overall happy I passed everything!

Congratulations everyone!
Johnm75
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
You can definitely submit an appeal for product if you want - just have to get in touch with your school and ask them to sort one out for you.

If unis want to see BBBC in one sitting and you've got BBCC, then I'm afraid you don't qualify (but you will if you get your appeal). However, many accept qualifications over two sittings. I just checked Glasgow Cally's Bus. Management course for example, and they accept BBBBB over two sittings, which just means you'd have to sit 3 Highers and get BBB in 6th year.
Thanks for the help. I just checked and i was 4 marks off of an A in product in the prelim so would i stand a good chance of an appeal ?

Would i even have a any chance at these unis even if i did get 3 B's and a C ?
animelover123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lovebug16)
for higher history and maths probably others too, but an A is like 85% or something i got a B for both which is between 72-85, if this was a normal year does that mean i would've got an A for both??
You've looked at the mark for an A1 btw, its actually still around the 70 mark for an A
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Johnm75)
Thanks for the help. I just checked and i was 4 marks off of an A in product in the prelim so would i stand a good chance of an appeal ?

Would i even have a any chance at these unis even if i did get 3 B's and a C ?
I'm afraid we can't tell you your exact chances of getting a successful appeal, the SQA take into account loads of factors concerning the evidence you provide and it can be awfully idiosyncratic, so it'd be impossible for us to tell you the likelihood of getting a successful appeal! If you were predicted by your school a higher grade than a C, then you're eligible for an appeal. The best thing to do is to get in contact with them as soon as you can and try to sort one out. From there, it's in the SQA's hands!

Yeah dude, you'd definitely have a chance! BBBC meets the requirements after all.
Ziggiezag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So I got 4As and B, which I am delighted about! I'm wanting to study Actuarial Science at Heriott-Watt next year and was wondering what a typical unconditional offer would be for that course, anyone able to help me out? And anyone else planning to do this subject?

Congrats to everyone by the way, everyone seems to be getting pretty awesome results
AdoreMoi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not an SQA student, but was interested does clearing open earlier for you guys?
TheFOMaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ziggiezag)
So I got 4As and B, which I am delighted about! I'm wanting to study Actuarial Science at Heriott-Watt next year and was wondering what a typical unconditional offer would be for that course, anyone able to help me out? And anyone else planning to do this subject?

Congrats to everyone by the way, everyone seems to be getting pretty awesome results
If you meet the requirements, you have a chance to get an unconditional. It's not a guarantee, but most universities would tend to give you an unconditional if you meet there requirements.
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AdoreMoi)
I'm not an SQA student, but was interested does clearing open earlier for you guys?
Sort of. Clearing for Scottish universities opens today for us. We don't get to see what's going on at English universities until the 15th like yous.
AdoreMoi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sort of. Clearing for Scottish universities opens today for us. We don't get to see what's going on at English universities until the 15th like yous.
ohhh okay, that makes sense
How does clearing look so far then?
Johnm75
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm afraid we can't tell you your exact chances of getting a successful appeal, the SQA take into account loads of factors concerning the evidence you provide and it can be awfully idiosyncratic, so it'd be impossible for us to tell you the likelihood of getting a successful appeal! If you were predicted by your school a higher grade than a C, then you're eligible for an appeal. The best thing to do is to get in contact with them as soon as you can and try to sort one out. From there, it's in the SQA's hands!

Yeah dude, you'd definitely have a chance! BBBC meets the requirements after all.
I think i was predicted an A for product. Most of my other subjects predicted me a C. Hell in the pre lim i failed english and they took me off higher for a week then the teacher put me back in and i got a B. Strange world. How do i go about the appeal process ?
KeithyDee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got 93% in my Admin Prelim and passed all my NAB's very comfortably. Got a B in the final exam (already have an unconditional so not too bothered, but it's a pride thing) so what are my odds of gaining an A on appeal?
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AdoreMoi)
ohhh okay, that makes sense
How does clearing look so far then?
Dunno. I'm already at uni, I'm just helping out with results' day this year.
It all looks quite pretty and well laid out, though. They've updated everything!

(Original post by Johnm75)
I think i was predicted an A for product. Most of my other subjects predicted me a C. Hell in the pre lim i failed english and they took me off higher for a week then the teacher put me back in and i got a B. Strange world. How do i go about the appeal process ?
You'll be eligible for an appeal then.
All you have to do is get in touch with your school (the sooner, the better) and say that you'd like an appeal for Product (you might have to get in touch with a certain teacher - like yours or the department head), they'll take it from there and let you know!

(Original post by KeithyDee)
Got 93% in my Admin Prelim and passed all my NAB's very comfortably. Got a B in the final exam (already have an unconditional so not too bothered, but it's a pride thing) so what are my odds of gaining an A on appeal?
We can't tell you the odds - lots of things are taken into account wrt appeals, so it's impossible to give you even a truthful rough estimate!

I wouldn't bother appealing if you've got a UC. Forget about your pride. It costs the school money to submit them, and you don't have anything to gain, really.
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you have to ask for an appeal or will the school send it away? I don't need it or anything but I got an A in my higher geo prelim and was predicted an A and ended up with a B so it would be nice to get it if i could just for the sake of having it
MC1723
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone know if you can get a successful appeal by just using NABs, predicted grades and internal assessments (like without the prelim) cause I got a C in Higher Eng which I thought I would do much better on, I got a D in the prelim but I've got good results for the NABs and as well as doing weekly critical essays I've put in the effort to do more essay during my spare time (about 17) which could maybe be used as evidence cause I still have them (I would say I've gotten an average score of 19 for all of them)
MC1723
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by deedee123)
Do you have to ask for an appeal or will the school send it away? I don't need it or anything but I got an A in my higher geo prelim and was predicted an A and ended up with a B so it would be nice to get it if i could just for the sake of having it
For SG my French teacher just sent an appeal for me without telling me so I didn't find out until I got my new certificate! you should ask just in case though
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MC1723)
Anyone know if you can get a successful appeal by just using NABs, predicted grades and internal assessments (like without the prelim) cause I got a C in Higher Eng which I thought I would do much better on, I got a D in the prelim but I've got good results for the NABs and as well as doing weekly critical essays I've put in the effort to do more essay during my spare time (about 17) which could maybe be used as evidence cause I still have them (I would say I've gotten an average score of 19 for all of them)
I don't think so, It's hard enough to get an appeal for english even with a good prelim.
student1574
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
10 Int 2s!? Congratulations, mate, those are amazing results. Off to 5th year, then?

Yeah S5 where i need to put in 110% effort to ensure i keep on top of my subjects.
mysqa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MC1723)
You need to ask your school, but I would say they would be unlikely to go ahead. The prelim usually forms the core of any appeal.
MC1723
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by deedee123)
I don't think so, It's hard enough to get an appeal for english even with a good prelim.
Aaawww :'( really? also I thought they were more lenient with eng in comparison to like maths.... today is the worse day ever I thought I would do sooo much better in relation to eng like for Christ sakes im taking advanced and I got a C at higher *sighes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (156)
45.75%
Pro-humanity (185)
54.25%