Turn on thread page Beta

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Omg WOW a college family omg that's adorable :')

ReputationRep:
    Name: Claire
    Course: MML (French and ab initio Spanish)
    Starting year: 2011
    Conditions: A*AA
    Reactions: Shocked! I honestly never even considered getting in & was in the process of making other plans haha.

Are there any other people on TSR who have offers for deferred entry to St John's??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chux)
    Name: Claire
    Course: MML (French and ab initio Spanish)
    Starting year: 2011
    Conditions: A*AA
    Reactions: Shocked! I honestly never even considered getting in & was in the process of making other plans haha.

Are there any other people on TSR who have offers for deferred entry to St John's??
    Oooooo MML FTW

ReputationRep:
    offer for MML french and german

ReputationRep:
    offer for MML in french and german

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziffachan)
    Oooooo MML FTW
    Yeah,I thought that when I saw your post But I'm taking a gap year first, so I'll be a year behind you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aKarma)
    I don't think you'll hear anything else until after your results
    It's a damned long wait
    I got an offer for Engineering at St John's!!^^
    Hey, aKarma, thanks for all your help.
    By the way, I have one question
    could you recommend me any good introductory or standard textbook on thermodynamics(not too hard, but challenging enough) to be studied so that when i get there, I would be at ease with the first year topics?
    I did have a look at the course reading list, but there are so many and so expensive as well, so I thought, if I'am going to buy one, I better buy the right one...
    I would appreciate any of your recommendation..Thanks^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    But so worth it, don'tcha think?!

How are your holidays going btw? Haven't spoken to you for a while! When are you heading back to good ol' Cambridge?
    Holidays were as always; a month or so of lazing around :yep:
    You get a white Christmas? We got the first one in ages here

And, I'm back :woo: :woo: :woo:
    Just finished unpacking
    I've had an epic fail and left the key to my kitchen cupboard somewhere :eek: so I'm going to be eating cereal with my hands out a mug for a while :cool:

(Original post by Funkachillislap)
    (Original post by DeyTa)
    (Original post by jsl0515)
    :woo: :woo: Engineering :woo: :woo:
    See you all here next year - No excuses

could you recommend me any good introductory or standard textbook on thermodynamics(not too hard, but challenging enough) to be studied so that when i get there, I would be at ease with the first year topics?
    I did have a look at the course reading list, but there are so many and so expensive as well, so I thought, if I'am going to buy one, I better buy the right one...
    There's a course reading list :eek:
    If you're talking about the recommended reading, that's pretty light reading and none of it touches on thermodynamics iirc. I'm not really sure where'd you'd start on thermo as I've not started the lecture series on it yet, and all my reading is civil.
    The only book I've even been recommended to look at since I've been here is Kreyszig's 'Advanced Engineering Mathematics' (sixth edition) and that's purely reference; it's not intended to be read through.

Tbh, I'd think it's almost better to brush up your maths, as thermo is expected to be taught from scratch and basically maths after all. You could always do a little build and research all the concepts online - make a turbofan or something :p:

Btw, it's well worth getting any expensive books second hand as long as they're the right edition. Amazon tends to have most stuff listed on the new and old, with the condition. There's absolutely no point paying £40+ for reference texts.

ReputationRep:
    I would appreciate any of your recommendation..Thanks^^
    I dont know how much help this will be but..
    When i was looking for further reading/also trying to understand what makes my powerkites fly/affect their properties (which also ended up being the subject of my 'third slide') i went to Newcastle City library (im assuming you will have a large city library nearby) and just looked through the engineering section. I ended up finding a book called 'Aeronautical Engineering for Undergraduate students.'
    Although i only got as far as understanding the 'basic concepts' i did read over 'the governing equations of fluid dynamics' tbh all of the differentiation was a bit over my head.
    anyhows what im saying is just pop down to the nearest big library near you and see if you can find an engineering book on the subject - i mean thermodynamics is thermodynamics so any book on the subject should be of more interest than none.

ReputationRep:
    Holidays were as always; a month or so of lazing around :yep:
    You get a white Christmas? We got the first one in ages here

And, I'm back :woo: :woo: :woo:
    Just finished unpacking
    I've had an epic fail and left the key to my kitchen cupboard somewhere :eek: so I'm going to be eating cereal with my hands out a mug for a while :cool:
    We had snow for the few days before Christmas, so patchy ice on the ground for Christmas day...Better than nothing! Then we had really heavy snow last week - I was worried I wouldn't be able to get back here But I'm here now Moved my desk round so I'm facing out the window, lovely view of the Fisher building, and the top of New Court and Chapel Tower Haven't finished unpacking though, I feel like I'm just procrastinating by unpacking when I should be working! (Don't ask how I justify being on here :p: )

If you want to borrow a bowl and spoon from over here, feel free Also, you could ask maintenance, they have bolt cutters...we had to get a padlock cut off our fridge at the beginning of last term.

Congratulations to all the new offer-holders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    We had snow for the few days before Christmas, so patchy ice on the ground for Christmas day...Better than nothing! Then we had really heavy snow last week - I was worried I wouldn't be able to get back here But I'm here now Moved my desk round so I'm facing out the window, lovely view of the Fisher building, and the top of New Court and Chapel Tower Haven't finished unpacking though, I feel like I'm just procrastinating by unpacking when I should be working! (Don't ask how I justify being on here :p: )

If you want to borrow a bowl and spoon from over here, feel free Also, you could ask maintenance, they have bolt cutters...we had to get a padlock cut off our fridge at the beginning of last term.
    Having my desk face the fisher building would be just too weird for me, it's bad enough having two lecturing rooms staring through my window when I can't see them
    You're best off easing off on the unpacking anyhow. I got all my stuff done straight away and now have to waste even more time
    You got exams at the start of term?

I managed to open the padlock with my crazy skills :cool:
    Found the keys too; I'd put them inside the cutlery box in the cupboard I locked :o: Not quite sure what was going through my head at the time...

ReputationRep:
    Having my desk face the fisher building would be just too weird for me, it's bad enough having two lecturing rooms staring through my window when I can't see them
    You're best off easing off on the unpacking anyhow. I got all my stuff done straight away and now have to waste even more time
    You got exams at the start of term?

I managed to open the padlock with my crazy skills :cool:
    Found the keys too; I'd put them inside the cutlery box in the cupboard I locked :o: Not quite sure what was going through my head at the time...
    Yeah it's got a bit weird now I've realised I can see into the men's loos...
    I remember sitting in a talk in the Fisher building, where the Master was talking on Alzheimer's...looked out the window over his head, and saw someone from my staircase air-thrusting in his room. Was priceless when he looked round and saw this room full of people!

I've unpacked everything but my clothes, and all my posters and stuff. I doubt I'll bother with most of my decorations, they took so long to take down last term!

Yep, college progress tests on Wednesday. An hour of Maths then a 3 hour exam for the experimental subjects. I really haven't done enough work!

Wahey, no hand-cereal! I'm so glad I haven't locked my keys inside anywhere yet...actually I lie, I left my keys in my room in like week 7. I was SO annoyed, I nearly made the whole term without locking myself out! Combination locks are clearly the way forward

ReputationRep:
    Hey all I have a quick question regarding the St. Johns May Ball and I figured someone here might know the answer... At most balls if you either work half the time and get the other half at the ball for free, or you work the whole time and get payed. However, the St. Johns May Ball website mentions no form of payment :

The St. John's College May Ball is one of the premier events of May Week, an evening which those involved will always remember. If you would like to be a part of the 2010 Ball, we are looking for enthusiastic people to fill a range of positions. Why not apply with friends and enjoy the atmosphere at the ball together? The application process allows you to select up to three friends and every effort will be made to ensure that you are working together.
    Would I be right in thinking your payment for working is just to be there? Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for detracting from the offer chat... Congrats to everyone who got an offer though!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoPurposeTortoise)
    Hey all I have a quick question regarding the St. Johns May Ball and I figured someone here might know the answer... At most balls if you either work half the time and get the other half at the ball for free, or you work the whole time and get payed. However, the St. Johns May Ball website mentions no form of payment :

Would I be right in thinking your payment for working is just to be there? Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for detracting from the offer chat... Congrats to everyone who got an offer though!!)
    The payment is being there and I think you're also allowed to buy more tickets than normal (ie. for friends etc)
    Tickets are normally sold in pairs for ~£275 I think, so free entry isn't so bad tbh (plus only Johnians can do the buying)

ReputationRep:
    The payment is being there and I think you're also allowed to buy more tickets than normal (ie. for friends etc)
    Tickets are normally sold in pairs for ~£275 I think, so free entry isn't so bad tbh (plus only Johnians can do the buying)
    I guess free entry isn't so bad if you get to do something on front of house, maybe bar work or the like. But I wouldn't be so keen stuck in the kitchen washing dishes all night... You wouldn't exactly get to see much of the ball!

ReputationRep:
    How many pairs are you limited to buying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkachillislap)
    How many pairs are you limited to buying?

(apparently '1' is too short a message...)

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh. Well that cant be easy as far as choosing who to invite

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!
    Just though I'd say that I found this group on facebook if any of you want to join:
    St. John's fresher's 2010
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=62070655420

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know who is running that group? I added it like 3 days ago and still havent been 'accepted' into it.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.