Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner248)
    I have seen no one applying for Chinese/Oriental Studies, are there any orientalists out there?
    I want to apply for Chinese I'm doing French, History, Maths and English Lit. How about you? Where else are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    Where should I put contests in my personal statement? Is it extracurricular or should I include them elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bearbert)
    Where should I put contests in my personal statement? Is it extracurricular or should I include them elsewhere?
    What kind of contests?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    What kind of contests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths contests for a maths application. Mostly national, but some international ones

Maths contests for a maths application. Mostly national, but some international ones
    I think they should be highlighted strongly, maybe in a paragraph of their own.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not EC - would look good for a Maths application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwig8)
    I want to apply for Chinese I'm doing French, History, Maths and English Lit. How about you? Where else are you looking at?
    I'm also applying for Chinese:-). I do German, maths, lit, and politics. Probs applying to Durham, SOAS, Nottingham, and Edinburgh. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    The main bit of my statement would have been about politics&economics, yes.
    Read what interests you - don't just read a book on politics for the sake of saying you read it - if you're more in to political philosophy then that's fine.
    Owen Jones' new book 'Establishment' is a good read, as are 'Why Nations Fail' and 'The Price of Inequality' which are more recently published.
    You might also like Kofi Annan's book 'Interventions' which details his life in diplomacy and international conflict. It could be tied in with political philosophy (authority, government protection, international relations etc) & morality in a contemporary, real world context.

These are, of course, just suggestions based on my own tastes. Go to bookstores and find books that'll interest you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much

I've done a couple of national completions (representing my school) in math and philosophy (and other sciences like biology, chemistry and neuroscience), do you think any of that would be relevant in a PPE PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    Thank you very much

I've done a couple of national completions (representing my school) in math and philosophy (and other sciences like biology, chemistry and neuroscience), do you think any of that would be relevant in a PPE PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths and Philoosphy certainly! Even the other competitions you could use by mentioning what skills you needed which would be useful for a PPE degree; I assume there was a level of argument and analysis needed with these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    I think they should be highlighted strongly, maybe in a paragraph of their own.
    Thank you very much for the response.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Philoosphy certainly! Even the other competitions you could use by mentioning what skills you needed which would be useful for a PPE degree; I assume there was a level of argument and analysis needed with these?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Analysis mostly and math skills since they were real life problems.

I'm also my school's contact with the local and regional newspapers, would that be relevant as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Analysis mostly and math skills since they were real life problems.

I'm also my school's contact with the local and regional newspapers, would that be relevant as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The newspaper bit maybe not so much - media is crucial to politics but at a smaller scale there isn't much you can do to make it flow well without being quite contrived and tenuous.
    Tutors will be looking more at your level of critical thinking and analysis of what you've read than maybe roles you have at school.
    That said, it would still bode well as a mention with your ECs and would help in an application to unis who factor in the ECs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This isnt specific for Oxford, but its for my other choices, I was wondering there's two courses for some unis: Spanish and Portuguese, and then theres Spanish and latin american studies. for latin american studies you still get to do Portuguese, and i can see that theres lots of similarities looking at the prospectus points. but i still don't understand what are the differences? because both courses have so much in common according to the course structures.

ReputationRep:
    The newspaper bit maybe not so much - media is crucial to politics but at a smaller scale there isn't much you can do to make it flow well without being quite contrived and tenuous.
    Tutors will be looking more at your level of critical thinking and analysis of what you've read than maybe roles you have at school.
    That said, it would still bode well as a mention with your ECs and would help in an application to unis who factor in the ECs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right, thank you very much for your advise

ReputationRep:
    So which college are you guys looking at? Cant make my mind up! Although I know that there is a possibility you could end up going to a completely different one

ReputationRep:
    Right, thank you very much for your advise
    No problem - give me a shout if you've anything else to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    So which college are you guys looking at? Cant make my mind up! Although I know that there is a possibility you could end up going to a completely different one
    Don't get too bogged down on a college - I was interviewed at my first choice but got an Open Offer so still don't know to which one I'm going!
    (Also my college choice was based on which one I stayed at for Open Day, which was chosen on the basis of free breakfast.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't get too bogged down on a college - I was interviewed at my first choice but got an Open Offer so still don't know to which one I'm going!
    (Also my college choice was based on which one I stayed at for Open Day, which was chosen on the basis of free breakfast.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha that sounds like good criteria to base your decision!! So what does an open offer mean? You can chose or you will only find out after your results come through?
    Also what are you planning to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Haha that sounds like good criteria to base your decision!! So what does an open offer mean? You can chose or you will only find out after your results come through?
    Also what are you planning to study?
    I find out once results are through. Places become available either through people missing offers or choosing another uni. If no spaces are available then my original college can accept me.
    I've an offer for PPE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I find out once results are through. Places become available either through people missing offers or choosing another uni. If no spaces are available then my original college can accept me.
    I've an offer for PPE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok awesome, well done! Would you say that personal statements were really important or aptitude tests are more so?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.