Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pallan)
    I've got an offer for IMABS - AAB. Likely it will be my firm choice but not sure yet!
    That's exactly the course I want to do! The exchange opportunities are amazing

ReputationRep:
    I've firmed Manchester for Pharmacy my accomodation choices were 1. Richmond Park 2. Opal Gardens 3. Victoria Hall

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Manchester for Optometry!! Is there anyone else out there

ReputationRep:
    I need some help with my accommodation choices! In an ideal world, I'd like halls with an en suite room and the social element, preferably at the Victoria Park campus (I've heard that some halls in Victoria Park are a lot more quieter than others). Any help (from origami in particular) would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer for Petroleum Engineering - AAB. Firmed it

Also I'm an international so not knowing anything about the halls I'd really like some info about the Victoria Hall too since I'm most probably gonna make that my first choice. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Just been accepted for management and leisure, really excited!
    Hoping to meet people before I get there so pls feel free to talk to me, i know we're all nervous a little but I was at another university previously so any advice anyone may need pls let me know.

Hope everyone gets the offer they want!
    Goodluck xx

ReputationRep:
    Offer for BA Geography!

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Manchester for BA history today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Manchester for Biochemistry today soo excited!!

ReputationRep:
    Offer from manchester for law AAB

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Manchester for Biology!

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed manchester (conditional AAB offer) for English Literature and Drama
    What are people thinking for accommodation?
    Maybe 1. Richmond park 2. Sheavyn House and 3. Burkhardt house
    For me hmm

ReputationRep:
    Applied for accommodation last night! 1. Richmond park, 2. Opal Gardens, 3. Sheavyn house!
    Genuinely cannot wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea where can I find some photos from the halls?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for accommodation today! 1 - Sheavyn House, 2 - Opal Gardens and 3 - Canterbury Court.

ReputationRep:
    Hey ORIGAMI BULLETS or anyone else who knows about this:

Is my calculation for student debt (below) correct? (I've used approx values)

Maintenance loan ~ £3500
    Tuition fee ~ £9000
    Total Loan Borrowed per year ~ £12500
    Interest ~ RPI + 3% = 6.3% (March 2013)

YEAR 1
    £12500 x 1.063 = £13287.5

YEAR 2
    (£12500 + £13287.5) x 1.063 = £27412.1125

YEAR 3
    (£12500 + £27412.1125) x 1.063 = £42426.57559

YEAR 4
    (£12500 + £42426.57559) x 1.063 = £58386.94985

SO BASICALLY £60000 debt
    Then RPI + 3% rate continues annually from the April after you finish??

Is this calculation correct? I am very daunted by this..
    Don't get me wrong, I really REALLY want to do Pharmacy but that is a hell of alot of money!! D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otago)
    Offer from manchester for law AAB
    Hey is it law with criminology or just law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendulumswinging)
    I need some help with my accommodation choices! In an ideal world, I'd like halls with an en suite room and the social element, preferably at the Victoria Park campus (I've heard that some halls in Victoria Park are a lot more quieter than others). Any help (from origami in particular) would be much appreciated.
    Hi,

have you read this thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577

(Original post by stoineagaby)
    Do you have any idea where can I find some photos from the halls?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577

(Original post by cyiarik)
    Hey ORIGAMI BULLETS or anyone else who knows about this:

Is my calculation for student debt (below) correct? (I've used approx values)

Maintenance loan ~ £3500
    Tuition fee ~ £9000
    Total Loan Borrowed per year ~ £12500
    Interest ~ RPI + 3% = 6.3% (March 2013)

YEAR 1
    £12500 x 1.063 = £13287.5

YEAR 2
    (£12500 + £13287.5) x 1.063 = £27412.1125

YEAR 3
    (£12500 + £27412.1125) x 1.063 = £42426.57559

YEAR 4
    (£12500 + £42426.57559) x 1.063 = £58386.94985

SO BASICALLY £60000 debt
    Then RPI + 3% rate continues annually from the April after you finish??

Is this calculation correct? I am very daunted by this..
    Don't get me wrong, I really REALLY want to do Pharmacy but that is a hell of alot of money!! D:
    Hi,

The thing with student loans is that they're not like ordinary debt, as the repayments are linked to how much you earn, not how much you owe. You only pay back 9% of anything you earn over £21k, and after 30 years any remaining debt will be wiped off.

So, if you earned
    £21k - pay back nothing
    £25k - pay back £360 per year
    £30k - pay back £1000 per year

These are entirely affordable sums, and the majority of people won't pay it all back anyway.

There's a very nifty tool here for working out how much you'll pay back http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...nce-calculator On the basis of starting in 2014, taking out the loans you've referred to, and a starting salary of £22k, you'd pay back a grand total of £19,300, which is equivalent to £10,190 in today's money - nowhere near the £58k you've referred to!

You also need to consider the fact that having a pharmacy degree will mean that your wages are much higher than they would be without a degree.

It's definitely worth you doing a pharmacy degree :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by origami bullets)
    hi,

have you read this thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577

hi,

the thing with student loans is that they're not like ordinary debt, as the repayments are linked to how much you earn, not how much you owe. You only pay back 9% of anything you earn over £21k, and after 30 years any remaining debt will be wiped off.

So, if you earned
    £21k - pay back nothing
    £25k - pay back £360 per year
    £30k - pay back £1000 per year

these are entirely affordable sums, and the majority of people won't pay it all back anyway.

There's a very nifty tool here for working out how much you'll pay back http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...nce-calculator on the basis of starting in 2014, taking out the loans you've referred to, and a starting salary of £22k, you'd pay back a grand total of £19,300, which is equivalent to £10,190 in today's money - nowhere near the £58k you've referred to!

You also need to consider the fact that having a pharmacy degree will mean that your wages are much higher than they would be without a degree.

It's definitely worth you doing a pharmacy degree :yep:

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Finally firmed!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.