Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just completely Medify Mock (Easy)....

VR=21/44 (480):cry::cry2:
    QR=20/36 (620)
    AR=41/55 (780)
    DA=18/28 (740)
    STJ= (670)

How the hell do I improve VR.....I'm struggling so much and that was the easy one!!!
    Please someone tell me that the VR is easier in the real thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Men)
    Graduate Entry is a tough route to go down that's true but people do have to be given places! I was in the exact same situation as you guys last year.

I was going to apply this year with you guys as that would mean that I could get more work experience for my application as I have now graduated. In the end I decided to apply last year to see what the process was like with no real hope of gaining a place. My UKCAT was 640 average so that instantly stopped me applying for any of those unis which then meant I had to face the dreaded GAMSAT.

After sitting the GAMSAT and BMAT I applied right on the deadline day not knowing the results to the tests (as you don't get them till November if I remember correctly) and my work experience at that point equated to 1 week shadowing a junior doctor.

I managed to secure interviews at 2 universities at which point I had an extra week shadowing a consultant and 3 months volunteering on a ward and was placed on the waiting list for both.

A couple of months later I was rejected from one of the waiting lists leaving me with just one choice left. I wasn't very hopeful as you can imagine. However a couple of months after the initial offers were given out I had a phone call saying I had gained a place on the course!

I just want to let you guys know that it isn't a quick and straight forward process. Don't give up hope as if it's the career toy really want to do then you'll do it. Don't be disheartened if you are unsuccessful this year as you can always reapply. Think of it as a way to get familiar with the application/interview process.

Finally I would just like to say a big good luck to everyone applying this year! Keep powering through!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah thats amazing! The kind of miracle I'm hoping for haha. I completely missed the deadline for the GAMSAT so if(/when!) I'm unsuccessful I think I'm going to do it next year and try again. Do you mind asking where you applied? Did you apply to any UKCAT unis?
    Thank you, this kind of post makes me realise it is possible!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kj0511)
    Ah thats amazing! The kind of miracle I'm hoping for haha. I completely missed the deadline for the GAMSAT so if(/when!) I'm unsuccessful I think I'm going to do it next year and try again. Do you mind asking where you applied? Did you apply to any UKCAT unis?
    Thank you, this kind of post makes me realise it is possible!!
    The thing with UKCAT for me was the time pressure. I just kept running out of time! I actually found GAMSAT easier as for every section I would have around 15 mins spare but that might be due to my science background.

I applied to St George's, Oxford, Swansea and Nottingham. None of them were UKCAT unis as the trend seemed to be that you needed at least 700 to have a shot.

It's definitely possible! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The thing with UKCAT for me was the time pressure. I just kept running out of time! I actually found GAMSAT easier as for every section I would have around 15 mins spare but that might be due to my science background.

I applied to St George's, Oxford, Swansea and Nottingham. None of them were UKCAT unis as the trend seemed to be that you needed at least 700 to have a shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't really thought about trying the GAMSAT... I don't really have a science background... do you think I would find it tough? Is it something that can be easily revised for? What kind of level is it?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's definitely great to hear! I'm studying for the GAMSAT and even with my degree in not getting the best marks in section 3.

How long did you study for the GAMSAT if I may ask?

ReputationRep:
    That Medify Easy one was awful. I completely failed it (440 on QR??) but did much better on the Medium and Hard ones. I sat my UKCAT on Saturday and got 3000 (750) so enough for Warwick fingers crossed. Don't worry about that practice- if you got those results, you should do really well

(Original post by Josh-Love)
    Just completely Medify Mock (Easy)....

VR=21/44 (480):cry::cry2:
    QR=20/36 (620)
    AR=41/55 (780)
    DA=18/28 (740)
    STJ= (670)

How the hell do I improve VR.....I'm struggling so much and that was the easy one!!!
    Please someone tell me that the VR is easier in the real thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richardjamesford)
    I haven't really thought about trying the GAMSAT... I don't really have a science background... do you think I would find it tough? Is it something that can be easily revised for? What kind of level is it?
    The first section of the GAMSAT is 1.5 hours long and is very similar to the VR section of UKCAT. The second section is 1 hour long and you have to write two essays, each of 30 mins duration. The final section is 3 hours long and tests your knowledge of chemistry, biology and physics. They say its up to 1st year undergrad level but I think you would be fine with revising from the A-Level revision guides.

It's definitely something that can be revised for. I recommend getting something called the Griffiths GAMSAT review.

If it puts you at ease around 1/3 of the people starting in my year are from none science backgrounds. I'm living with someone who graduated from a history degree for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)
    That's definitely great to hear! I'm studying for the GAMSAT and even with my degree in not getting the best marks in section 3.

How long did you study for the GAMSAT if I may ask?
    I was actually quite bad and didn't really revise that long for the GAMSAT, probably around 1-2 weeks. I got 58, 58, 61 with an average of 61 because of the extra weighting in section 3.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I have a 2:1 or First (it's a spanish degree) degree in nursing. I have been working full time for the last year in medicine, diabetes clinic, surgery, theatres and HDU. I have also shadowed and assisted doctors.
    I am applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial and Manchester mainly because they are the ones that take my English Certificates.

I am finding the AR of the UKCAT so difficutl, I cannot manage to get more than 55% on medify

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound pretty stupid i think because its only a month away and I have done no revision because I wasn't going to sit it but is it worth applying to sit the gamsat? The final final deadline is today but I'm so worried my UKCAT won't cut it. My degree was pharmacology so I'm from a science background and i know its expensive by I'm being desperate haha. Basically my question is would i have time to revise for both? I don't know what to do!!

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound pretty stupid i think because its only a month away and I have done no revision because I wasn't going to sit it but is it worth applying to sit the gamsat? The final final deadline is today but I'm so worried my UKCAT won't cut it. My degree was pharmacology so I'm from a science background and i know its expensive by I'm being desperate haha. Basically my question is would i have time to revise for both? I don't know what to do!!
    Have you done your UKCAT already? From what I've seen around 1 month of GAMSAT revision is pushing it but with a scientific degree you should be more comfortable with section 3 at least.

ReputationRep:
    With a Pharm degree you should manage fine. Most of the Biology content is already in the question and the Chem should be right up your street, just brush up a bit.
    Then just essay practice and S1 you should be ok. I think a decent score is achievable with some work. Wouldn't want to do it alongside a job though.

ReputationRep:
    How do people think verbal reasoning practise questions on Medify compare to the real UKCAT test? I'm getting an average of 3/5 questions right at the moment within an average of 40-50 seconds. Just wondering so I know whether to change my strategy or not...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when interviews were held last year for Barts/Warwick/Newcastle GEM? Worried I've just booked a holiday around prime interview time

-cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1525)
    Anyone know when interviews were held last year for Barts/Warwick/Newcastle GEM? Worried I've just booked a holiday around prime interview time

-cheers
    http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...101/index.html
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/st...lectioncentre/
    Quick google search

ReputationRep:
    Graduate Entry is a tough route to go down that's true but people do have to be given places! I was in the exact same situation as you guys last year.

I was going to apply this year with you guys as that would mean that I could get more work experience for my application as I have now graduated. In the end I decided to apply last year to see what the process was like with no real hope of gaining a place. My UKCAT was 640 average so that instantly stopped me applying for any of those unis which then meant I had to face the dreaded GAMSAT.

After sitting the GAMSAT and BMAT I applied right on the deadline day not knowing the results to the tests (as you don't get them till November if I remember correctly) and my work experience at that point equated to 1 week shadowing a junior doctor.

I managed to secure interviews at 2 universities at which point I had an extra week shadowing a consultant and 3 months volunteering on a ward and was placed on the waiting list for both.

A couple of months later I was rejected from one of the waiting lists leaving me with just one choice left. I wasn't very hopeful as you can imagine. However a couple of months after the initial offers were given out I had a phone call saying I had gained a place on the course!

I just want to let you guys know that it isn't a quick and straight forward process. Don't give up hope as if it's the career you really want to do then you'll do it. Don't be disheartened if you are unsuccessful this year as you can always reapply. Think of it as a way to get familiar with the application/interview process.

Finally I would just like to say a big good luck to everyone applying this year! Keep powering through!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is applying to Barts, below is the admission data from 2015 cycle

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/...2015-cycle.pdf

A101 Applications
    1,212 candidates applied to A101. Of these, 1,054 were rejected prior to interview and 158 were
    invited to attend the assessment centre.
    Graduate applicants who successfully meet our academic entry requirements (2:1 or above in a
    science related degree, with the addition of AS level grade B or above, or equivalent, in Biology and
    Chemistry) were ranked on UKCAT alone (please note the ranking process is changing for 2015/16).
    The top and bottom UKCAT scores that applied this year were 3,380 and 1,550 respectively. For the
    assessment centre in 2015, the minimum UKCAT score invited was 2,850.
    A101 Interview data

The graduate entry programme uses an assessment centre rather than an interview process in order
    to assess candidates. Candidates complete 3 assessments, each designed to assess a different
    competency desired by Barts and The London. These assessments are each assessed by trained
    assessors, who all score independently. These scores are then processed with successful applicants
    (receiving offers) having scores in excess of 137 (out of a total 160).
    Once candidates have reached the interview stage only the scores achieved at interview will
    influence potential offers being made.
    UKCAT scores are no longer used for consideration at this
    stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    If anyone is applying to Barts, below is the admission data from 2015 cycle

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/...2015-cycle.pdf

A101 Applications
    1,212 candidates applied to A101. Of these, 1,054 were rejected prior to interview and 158 were
    invited to attend the assessment centre.
    Graduate applicants who successfully meet our academic entry requirements (2:1 or above in a
    science related degree, with the addition of AS level grade B or above, or equivalent, in Biology and
    Chemistry) were ranked on UKCAT alone (please note the ranking process is changing for 2015/16).
    The top and bottom UKCAT scores that applied this year were 3,380 and 1,550 respectively. For the
    assessment centre in 2015, the minimum UKCAT score invited was 2,850.
    A101 Interview data

The graduate entry programme uses an assessment centre rather than an interview process in order
    to assess candidates. Candidates complete 3 assessments, each designed to assess a different
    competency desired by Barts and The London. These assessments are each assessed by trained
    assessors, who all score independently. These scores are then processed with successful applicants
    (receiving offers) having scores in excess of 137 (out of a total 160).
    Once candidates have reached the interview stage only the scores achieved at interview will
    influence potential offers being made.
    UKCAT scores are no longer used for consideration at this
    stage.
    Have they specified how their new 50:50 ranking system actually works? Like how much a masters contributes over just a BSc for example?

ReputationRep:
    A masters is not favoured over a BSc that's not how it works...I hope!
    This is what is stated:
    "Graduates who apply for four-year GEP programme who meet the minimum academic criteria will be ranked against the other graduate applicants applying in that year according to 50:50 weighting applied to the UKCAT score and academic ability as measured using a points weighting of degree classification or postgraduate degrees."

(Original post by sampowell92)
    Have they specified how their new 50:50 ranking system actually works? Like how much a masters contributes over just a BSc for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose256)
    A masters is not favoured over a BSc that's not how it works...I hope!
    This is what is stated:
    "Graduates who apply for four-year GEP programme who meet the minimum academic criteria will be ranked against the other graduate applicants applying in that year according to 50:50 weighting applied to the UKCAT score and academic ability as measured using a points weighting of degree classification or postgraduate degrees."
    That makes it sound like more points will be given to those with higher class or postgraduate degrees (does a masters counts a postgraduate degree?). They don't really state how this actually works though..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.