Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    We sent confirmations to Oxford Undergraduate Admissions last week to update UCAS.
    Alright, thanks! Do all colleges do this at the same time? I have received a confirmation from my college by email but there has been no change in UCAS.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by notbritt)
    Alright, thanks! Do all colleges do this at the same time? I have received a confirmation from my college by email but there has been no change in UCAS.
    We've also corresponded with offer holders but the UCAS changes are managed centrally by the Undergraduate Admissions Office. They will probably transmit the status changes in batches to UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evazilber57)
    Hey! Congratulations on your offer I've got a Medicine offer as well. It's from Somerville and I haven't received any prep work yet. (I wish they'd send it to us already!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congrats on yours too! I just received a reading list from Queens - but as I have an open offer my college may not be Queens... which is annoying in terms of prep work but hey!
    http://pages.queens.ox.ac.uk/college...hers-readings/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by procrastibaker)
    Congrats on yours too! I just received a reading list from Queens - but as I have an open offer my college may not be Queens... which is annoying in terms of prep work but hey!
    Hi there! I followed your link and had a look at the French reading list and, although it's set out differently for Queen's, the actual books on the list are exactly the same ones which appear on my list from St John's, so I reckon that prep work is probably universal

ReputationRep:
    As we're talking reading lists, I've just mixed up my primary reading by starting some of the secondary material as well; Bennett & Royle's "Literature, Criticism and Theory" was first on the list and fortunately I'm finding it very interesting so far! How is everyone else enjoying theirs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    Is there any accessible data when it comes to recording degree results per subject per college? eg how many people got a 2:1 in history at Magdalen, or how many people got a first in physics at LMH? THank you!
    This will vary so much from year to year because you're looking at incredibly small samples. You'd struggle to draw any meaningful conclusions from such data and so it's not widely available.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Does anyone know if there are any free (or cheap) language courses available for Oxford students who aren't studying a languages course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Does anyone know if there are any free (or cheap) language courses available for Oxford students who aren't studying a languages course?
    There are courses run at various levels and languages within Oxford by the uni. Normally you'd pay for it and then I believe the deal is you get half refunded by your college after completion (at least at Univ)

Here's some more info -
    http://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/opalcourses/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    There are courses run at various levels and languages within Oxford by the uni. Normally you'd pay for it and then I believe the deal is you get half refunded by your college after completion (at least at Univ)

Here's some more info -
    Wow, brilliant. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamY)
    As we're talking reading lists, I've just mixed up my primary reading by starting some of the secondary material as well; Bennett & Royle's "Literature, Criticism and Theory" was first on the list and fortunately I'm finding it very interesting so far! How is everyone else enjoying theirs?
    I have so far made it half the way through the introduction of Phèdre it's really interesting, but I'm finding that there's a lot of technical vocab which I've never seen before, so I'm really appreciating the fact that one of the reference books that the tutors suggested we (MFL students) buy is the Oxford English Dictionary
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lucilou101)

Here's some more info -
    There are two types of language course available: OPAL and LASR. The latter are designed for students who have to acquire language skills for research but any surplus places can also be allocated to students who would like to study out of general interest.

OPAL is assessed and is more demanding. LASR is not assessed. The costs for OPAL are also higher (£125 per term + £60 exam fee vs £35 per term for LASR). Colleges do generally offer assistance (eg 50% for OPAL if the course is completed) but the level of support may demand on the uptake (demand for these courses is difficult to predict and budget for).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do I need to get Facebook? I really don't want to but it seems like a fair number of the societies only operate over Facebook...

ReputationRep:
    hello,could anyone kindly share Oxford economics/law reading lists/prep reading.any attempts will be appreciated.thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narine2014)
    hello,could anyone kindly share Oxford economics/law reading lists/prep reading.any attempts will be appreciated.thank you very much
    Did you look at Queens reading lists (link at top of this page)?

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Do I need to get Facebook? I really don't want to but it seems like a fair number of the societies only operate over Facebook...
    A number of college JCRs establish Freshers' Facebook pages when places are confirmed in August. It is a good place to post queries pre-arrival and also a way of getting to know the students who will be on your staircase. We would advise checking whether the college you have an offer with will have a Freshers group and if so you could always join and deactivate your account post-arrival (deleting Facebook accounts is quite difficult).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    Did you look at Queens reading lists (link at top of this page)?

oh!thank you very much!it was really helpful!have a great day

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely useful, and the vast majority do, but it's also not 100% necessary.

Which doesn't help you all that much

(I suppose you could create an account, and have no friends, but just be in groups...)

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else in the situation of Oxford or nothing?

Oxford is my firm yet lowest grade offer so if I end up missing, it won't be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitlan)
    Is anyone else in the situation of Oxford or nothing?

Oxford is my firm yet lowest grade offer so if I end up missing, it won't be good.
    I'm sort of in the same position - my insurance is the same as my Oxford offer (AAA) - I'm just hoping that if I get A*A*B (or even AAB) and Oxford don't accept me then my insurance will...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelfthnight)
    I'm sort of in the same position - my insurance is the same as my Oxford offer (AAA) - I'm just hoping that if I get A*A*B (or even AAB) and Oxford don't accept me then my insurance will...
    I was initially hoping that getting the A* in Maths would mean that if I got A*AB, LSE would still take me.

However, the summer maths exams took me from the 'maths is an easy A*' mentality as they effectively ruled out my chance of an A*.

My other subjects are essay based and so it's hard to predict whether the A* has been reached or not.

I think I've accepted that if any of my grades are lower than an A, even A*s in the other subjects won't convince Oxford to take me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.