Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone have the June 2014 paper for F215?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    You're talking about polymerase chain reactions there.

In sequencing, after you get your bacteria DNA that collectively contain the entire genome, you sequence it out via interrupted PCR with termination nucleotides

I think the bit about DNA ligase is wrong because even if you do combine the bacterial DNA together to get the full genome, you just end up with the genome you first started with. Because you can't generally can't sequence DNA that's the entire genome length (termination nucleotides prevent this), you sequence the bacteria DNA fragments you extract off them, as they're shorter.

So after you get a lot of sequences that each add up to the whole genome, you see where there's overlap, which should give you the order of your base pairs

That was awfully explained. If anyone wants to do it better, go ahead
    RIght ok think i'm finally starting to understand it a bit better! Cheers for the reply x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lighfy)
    What ChoccyPhilly said best describes this. My explanation was pretty rubbish, sorry about that It is a pretty confusing technique, think I may need to look over it again.
    haha no problem! thanks for your help x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tewas)
    yes! thank you that helps so much! yes i saw a question about the NaHCO3 solution changing due to different filters with increasing and decreasing pH and that's what confused me so are you only expected to know that:
    - chlorophyll a absorbs red light, reflects green
    - chlorophyll a can also absorb blue light
    - chlorophyll b appears blue-green in colour
    - carotene and xanthophyll absorb blue light and reflect yellow-orange?
    also, sometimes in mark schemes they talk about short/long wavelengths absorbed/reflected - how are we meant to know this? are we supposed to know the wavelengths?
    (Original post by Student23478)
    Is that all you need to know regarding wavelntgjd pigments and accessory pigments?
    I just typed up a huge answer to this but my tablet just killed it for me ok okok
    I'll write it back up when I get home, I have a maths exam today (!) good luck for anyone doing S1, S2 or any other applied modules today!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good notes for this topic? I'm not sure about using word press has anyone used them? Do they miss things out? I'm okay with Excretion and photosynthesis I dislike the other two

ReputationRep:
    Do you think spending Sunday doing past papers should be okay? I haven't done many, and still need to recap content because I've forgotten some of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffledchick)
    Do you think spending Sunday doing past papers should be okay? I haven't done many, and still need to recap content because I've forgotten some of it
    Recap content now. Like go over the topics you've forgotten today ( go through the spec and try to answer them) until Sunday where you do the past papers. You should be ok if you've previously stayed on top of those topics ... :3

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good notes for this topic? I'm not sure about using word press has anyone used them? Do they miss things out? I'm okay with Excretion and photosynthesis I dislike the other two
    Here... This is quite good tbh, it does take time and motivation going over it though but you'll thank yourself in the end

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...2&d=1275821489

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnekaChan173)
    I just typed up a huge answer to this but my tablet just killed it for me ok okok
    I'll write it back up when I get home, I have a maths exam today (!) good luck for anyone doing S1, S2 or any other applied modules today!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody explain the kidneys with regards to selective re-absorption and the effect it has on the urine collecting duct Erc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAgain)
    Here... This is quite good tbh, it does take time and motivation going over it though but you'll thank yourself in the end

Thank you do these notes cover everything? I've used the textbook for Excretion and Photosynthesis, after that it just seems too long lol

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a link to the papers F214 and f215 2014?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issdip)
    Does anyone have a link to the papers F214 and f215 2014?!
    I think they are on biotutor

ReputationRep:
    I think they are on biotutor
    Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student23478)
    Can somebody explain the kidneys with regards to selective re-absorption and the effect it has on the urine collecting duct Erc
    do you want everything explained? i might just type it out since its good for my revision
    so, selective reabsorption takes place in the PCT. The cells lining the PCT are well adapted for uptake of all glucose and all amino acids, some salts and most of the water. This is what happens:
    - Na/K ion pump actively transport sodium ion out of cell and potassium ion into cell. This reduces the conc of Na+ in the cell
    - Sodium ions are then reabsorbed through co-transporter proteins by facilitated diffusion along with glucose and amino acids
    - As glucose and amino acids travel along the cell, they are removed by diffusion and active removal from the opposite side of the cell into the tissue fluid and then into the blood where they are carried away
    - The conc of glucose and amino acids inside the cell lowers the water potential inside the cell so the tubule fluid has a higher water potential so water enters by osmosis.
    - The larger molecules like small proteins enter by endocytosis

do you want stuff on loop of henle/dct etc?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to answer suggest questions? Is it just a mind dump of anything that it could be, or is there a specific way of answering them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAgain)

That's great! Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbV...uyo9yxz4XOAnBQ

If the link doesn't work his youtube is called NottsAST

^^This guy on youtube is pretty good at sort of refreshing your memory with just days to go till the exam so that you don't need to bury yourself in books Hes not got videos on all of the A2 topics but he has done some. His Excretion ones inc ultrafiltration, selective reabs and ADH are particularly good!

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone doing for the last three days?
    I think today I'm going to do five past papers, review my notes and make overview maps to try and concise it all

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.