Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which paper the de movire's theorem proof was in please? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When asked to find solutions of z and z^5=i, and the range of theta is not stated, can we assume that we have to find all the possible values of z?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geraer100)
    When asked to find solutions of z and z^5=i, and the range of theta is not stated, can we assume that we have to find all the possible values of z?
    Yes I the range is usually between pi and -pi so I would stick with that if no range given

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    Does anyone know which paper the de movire's theorem proof was in please? Thanks
    June 13???? Could be wrong after that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josephinemar25)
    Yes I the range is usually between pi and -pi so I would stick with that if no range given
    Thanks!
    So you mean that you would find all the possible values?

And when they asked you to shade the region modulus(z)<2, how do you verify/know which part to shade?

ReputationRep:
    I was literally just about to post about this question. The mark scheme lets k = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. Why not negative values?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    I was literally just about to post about this question. The mark scheme lets k = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. Why not negative values?
    Are you sure there was no range. If not you can either do K=0,1,-1,2,-2 or the positive values, the MS might say oe (or equivalent) and so both would def be accepted.Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Because the angles eventually begin to repeat themselves so you might as well have a 0 for convenience and avoid negative numbers

ReputationRep:
    Could someone gives me helpful tips when determining which side to shade in a question that asks you to shade modulus(z)<3?
    For instance, the question 6 of june 2009, why did they shade the area outside?
    Thnaks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure there was no range. If not you can either do K=0,1,-1,2,-2 or the positive values, the MS might say oe (or equivalent) and so both would def be accepted.Hope that helps.
    No range; it's the adapted Jan 2006 paper so it might've been cut out by mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Trigonometric functions are periodic. You can plug in k = -500, -499, -498, -497, -496 for all I care and still get the same answer. They would be accepted unless a specific range was given.

ReputationRep:
    Do tricky polar coordinate sketches (eg r^2=a^2 cos(2theta)) ever come up? - I've not seen any in past papers, and haven't learnt them... yet

ReputationRep:
    Could someone gives me helpful tips when determining which side to shade in a question that asks you to shade modulus(z)<2?

Thnaks in advance!
    I'm guessing you mean how to shade that on a w plane? Otherwise it's just the inside of the the circle |z|=2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    June 13???? Could be wrong after that
    Hmm it's not in June 13, there's one on this 2008 paper though...
    https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf
    I think we're probably due another one this year ☺️

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little bit worried since my grades are fluctuating a lot (from Cs to A*s), purely because of silly mistakes :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I'm a little bit worried since my grades are fluctuating a lot (from Cs to A*s), purely because of silly mistakes :/
    yeah I feel you, same here. really hoping for a straightforward paper tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    how do you know whether to use x+yi or u+vi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khaleesi98)
    I'm guessing you mean how to shade that on a w plane? Otherwise it's just the inside of the the circle |z|=2.
    Yes I mean shading the area on a w plane, its confusing sometimes. What I am doing now is to put the </> instead of equal when working out the cartesian equation of C in w plane and then if the equation of C(assuming a circle) is smaller than 2 ,then shade inside and if bigger, outside. I don't know if this is correct though

ReputationRep:
    Yes I mean shading the area on a w plane, its confusing sometimes. What I am doing now is to put the </> instead of equal when working out the cartesian equation of C in w plane and then if the equation of C(assuming a circle) is smaller than 2 ,then shade inside and if bigger, outside. I don't know if this is correct though
    Take a point z that satisfies |z| < 2. (say z = 1 + i), plug this into your transformation function. Now, the output, take it and find it's modulus. If |w| < (radius) as well, then you shade inside the circle in the w-plane. If it's the other way around, you shade outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Take a point z that satisfies |z| < 2. (say z = 1 + i), plug this into your transformation function. Now, the output, take it and find it's modulus. If |w| < (radius) as well, then you shade inside the circle in the w-plane. If it's the other way around, you shade outside.
    With modulus(w)<radius you mean the radius of the circle in the w plane?

I just have seen a mark scheme and they used what you said but they didn't use the modulus of w, they just choose a z that satisfies modulus(Z)<2 and then take the output w and see if lying inside or outside. Is that the same as using the modulus of w?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.