The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.bryan4
An ultradian rhythm is less than 24 hours but repeats itself, such as the stages of sleep, that are 90 mins long but repeat themselves throughout the night.

An infradian rhythm is more than a day but less than a year, this includes the menstrual cycle and the circannual rhythm of SAD

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LJLB
I mean the teachers in our college really only gave us general advice! We just trusted their marking haha!

Always try and link studies together, this will increase your marks. So state a study and the findings, link it to the theory and then link in another study using discourse markers (additionally/more over/similarly/in contrast) that either supports the same thing or opposes it.

Similarly, link your IDA points. So if it's deterministic, "if we accept it as true we can impose practical applications such as..."

Point, explain, evaluate, elaborate is the structure to do for each paragraph!

Also what would an example of the practical applications you're talking about if your IDA is determinism?
Is it okay to use one piece of research for a theory and then just evaluate the hell out of it? Like evaluate the study itself-what its implications are for the theory, evaluate methodological link it back to the implications for the theory, talk about IDAs associated with it that will relate back to the theory etc etc
Original post by Hihihi123
Also what would an example of the practical applications you're talking about if your IDA is determinism?

I don't do relationships unfortunately, what other topics do you do?

Um for example neural explanations of aggression if we accept it as true neurotransmitters can be given to decrease levels of aggression e.g drugs that lower dopamine or increase serotonin
Original post by A-LJLB
I don't do relationships unfortunately, what other topics do you do?

Um for example neural explanations of aggression if we accept it as true neurotransmitters can be given to decrease levels of aggression e.g drugs that lower dopamine or increase serotonin

Oh okay, so the translation of the IDA to real life. So for example, how its deterministic to assume that long term mating preferences are solely based on the evolutionary drive to have strong offspring that would be a long term investment. If this was true people who can't have children would never have long term relationships etc
Is that what you mean?
I'm doing relationships, aggression and eating behaviour
question about free will v determinism: is free will basically the assumption that we choose the things that happen to us and we are in control of ourselves, determinism is that what happens to you is from external forces like god or fate etc? I could be completely wrong but I just wanna know if that's the general gist of it
Original post by OyinkanO
Is anyone answering the gender topic next week and knows why dysphoria, biological (role of genes/hormones) and evolutionary have never come up?
Also does anyone know when loopa are releasing the predictions for the other topics in unit 3?

Thank you

Gender dysphoria hasn't come up on its own as it's normally part of the biosocial approach so the question would say discuss the biosocial approach including or with reference to gender dysphoria. That's why it looks as if it's never come up. I don't know why the others have never been asked but I'm hoping for evolutionary šŸ˜†

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh okay, so the translation of the IDA to real life. So for example, how its deterministic to assume that long term mating preferences are solely based on the evolutionary drive to have strong offspring that would be a long term investment. If this was true people who can't have children would never have long term relationships etc
Is that what you mean?
I'm doing relationships, aggression and eating behaviour

You could do that, but I link it to another IDA point. So link in what could be done about the theory or has been done
are people doing a general evaluation at the end of their essays to summarise everything up? or just evaluating each point as you go? As I've been doing a final evaluation at the end but im just repeating a lot of things that ive been saying in the essay eg. there's gender bias, culture bias etc
Does anyone know if neural explanations and evolutionary explanations of an eating disorder can be asked separately instead of being under biological explanations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BethM98
question about free will v determinism: is free will basically the assumption that we choose the things that happen to us and we are in control of ourselves, determinism is that what happens to you is from external forces like god or fate etc? I could be completely wrong but I just wanna know if that's the general gist of it

Yeh determinism is pretty much saying we dont have a choice in anything and again from what reports have said its should really be used for biological approach because every theory is deteministic since it all describes why we do things.
So try and use it for evolutionary stuff biological approaches
Original post by Lucytal
are people doing a general evaluation at the end of their essays to summarise everything up? or just evaluating each point as you go? As I've been doing a final evaluation at the end but im just repeating a lot of things that ive been saying in the essay eg. there's gender bias, culture bias etc

I don't tend to do a general one at the end. If you're repeating what you've already said then you won't gain extra marks and lose time on the other essays so I would just evaluate as you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elle_w
I don't tend to do a general one at the end. If you're repeating what you've already said then you won't gain extra marks and lose time on the other essays so I would just evaluate as you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lucytal

Im doing both since doing it throughout is mainly for studies and basic A02 points, as i find it easier to do a general eval for A03 at the end
For aggression if they asked about social psychological can they ask about social learning theory or deindividuation specifically or can they only ask about social psychological as a general topic?
I'm basing my revision pretty strongly on predictions and stuff like what came up last year I'm not bothering to revise, so like everything that hasn't appeared before or hasn't appeared in a while I'm learning but everything else I'm basically leaving out, is anyone else doing this or are people thinking this is a bad idea? It's just cause I barely have any time haha
For aggression if they asked about social psychological can they ask about social learning theory or deindividuation specifically or can they only ask about social psychological as a general topic?

They can ask specifically, so they can be seperate essays
Original post by A-LJLB
You could do that, but I link it to another IDA point. So link in what could be done about the theory or has been done

So link it to real world application? Is that what you mean?
So link it to real world application? Is that what you mean?

Yep :smile:
Original post by A-LJLB
They can ask specifically, so they can be seperate essays

Are you sure? I thought it was like with evolutionary for human aggression how its including infidelity and jealousy but they won't ask specifically about that. Are you absolutely sure?
Are you sure? I thought it was like with evolutionary for human aggression how its including infidelity and jealousy but they won't ask specifically about that. Are you absolutely sure?

Yep, absolutely sure

Latest