Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    man i barely think i got 40 on that exam how the hell am i gonna do chem 5.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else 100% genuinely think their grade will be at like 4 grades lower than their predict because of this paper? I wrote like 3 words for the 9 marker, just couldn't make sense of it after so many pages of rubbish, brainf**king questions *criesss*. I think chem5 will be just as bad because it's written by the same people isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    How many makrs do you think will I get for syaing the structure of R was

ch3-o-ch2-ch2-c(ch3)2-oh? Providing all my working is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormlessBowl)
    The NO3 was a -

The acid salt had 1 less oxygen and was a +
    Are you sure no2 has a negative charge because in friedl crafts acylation, h2so4 also acts as a base: h2so4 + hno3 ---> no2+ +h2o + hso4-
    And no2+ is formed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay Fearn)
    I think the grade boundaries have to be lower than last years.. unless this year is filled with a bunch of geniuses then I don't see how the grade boundaries can go up. Last year was 85/100 for an A* and the paper wasn't even that tricky..

The formatting was different, so many tricky one markers here and there that required a lot of time to answer. Pretty sure only the best of the best in the country would have got all the marks from the last question because not only was it disgustingly unfair, it was also at the end of a paper which took quite some time to finish.

Hoping for 83/100 for A* and like 76/100 for an A
    Hopefully lower! 80/100 A*, 72 A ! ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeabeki)
    I put: D 1st, E 2nd
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fibsy)
    Damn, I wrote that it can be hydrolysed because it is polar, so it does not have to be removed, unlike the other polymer which is non-polar :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    did the same lol. now realise why would you want to hyydrolyse the stitches xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    The carboxylic acid just accepts an H+, it doesn't loose an O - where would it go?

Google the question too, the products are NO3- and CH3COOH2+
    It would go into water, the products you gave definitely work, but I think these do as well. Also where would that H attatch to the ethanoic acid?

NO3- H2O and CH3C+O makes sense for me, losing an OH with the H of HNO3

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys put for the initial rate of reaction questions as to why its used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizabethsophie)
    Could I put Ni and hydrogen with high pressure instead of LiAlH4 for the reduction of the hydroxynitrile to the amine question?
    yeah that's right

ReputationRep:
    if i said to distinguish the acyl chloride i add nh3 would that still be right as white misty fumes still produced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowie)
    Good point. Perhaps my correction was wrong..
    I completely skipped over the fact that it had to be secondary or primary.. But I cannot see it being any other than a tertiary due to the number of peaks and the data given:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same as me

ReputationRep:
    For the test for the acyl chloride, I put silver nitrate then white ppt. Do I get that or did the silver nitrate have to be acidified/aqueous or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginpls)
    Are you sure no2 has a negative charge because in friedl crafts acylation, h2so4 also acts as a base: h2so4 + hno3 ---> no2+ +h2o + hso4-
    And no2+ is formed
    NO2 has a positive charge, NO3 is negative though

ReputationRep:
    Mark Scheme pleaseee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    I put silver nitrate in aqueous solution. Forming white ppt for the halo alkane and nothing for the acyl one.
    im pretty sure you can also say for the acyl chloride, using water/ammonia/alcohol/primary amine' would give you Misty fumes
    and for the ketone/ haloalkane; no reaction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fibsy)
    Damn, I wrote that it can be hydrolysed because it is polar, so it does not have to be removed, unlike the other polymer which is non-polar :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the answer will probably be that the polyester can biodegrade in the wound over time because it is hydrolysed. This means it doesn't have to be removed. Not sure if this is correct though...

ReputationRep:
    what did you get for the synthesis question? the five mark to do with compound s and step 3 and 4

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  333.5 KB
    (Original post by Anno007)
    It's not correct because it doesn't have a triplet peak at 3.1-3.9

There must be a -COCH2CH2-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fibsy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i wrote that too & i know a few who did. I don't see why it would be wrong

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.