Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not harsh really. It's integral to the letter-writing format...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Not harsh really. It's integral to the letter-writing format...
    I understand. But given that it's not truly a formal letter writing format in that you don't write an address or anything, I'd have hoped it would only be 1 of the 5 marks available for writing? It seems like taking more than 20% off for not writing 'your friend Maria' is a little mean...

It sounds like I'm trying to argue but I really don't mean to (just trying to vent my stressed-out feeling)! I appreciate that you have much more experience with the paper than I do. Thank you again!

How many marks will you be given if you attempted to explain 2 or 3 powerful words in question 2 because you ran out of time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metellaest)
    I understand. But given that it's not truly a formal letter writing format in that you don't write an address or anything, I'd have hoped it would only be 1 of the 5 marks available for writing? It seems like taking more than 20% off for not writing 'your friend Maria' is a little mean...

It sounds like I'm trying to argue but I really don't mean to (just trying to vent my stressed-out feeling)! I appreciate that you have much more experience with the paper than I do. Thank you again!
    Well I thought as it said 'dear friend' that it was quite formal so signed it yours sincerely too. Maybe best wishes would have been better tho....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazza0104)
    Well I thought as it said 'dear friend' that it was quite formal so signed it yours sincerely too. Maybe best wishes would have been better tho....
    i wrote

Your friend,
    Maria

ReputationRep:
    Would you really sign a letter to a friend 'Yours sincerely'?

But would you start a letter Dear Friend - I thought as that was pretty formal I would sign off formally too. If they had given a name I would have said something more familiar. How much would I lose for this?

ReputationRep:
    I do agree that asking you to start 'Dear friend' is odd They could have given the friend a name themselves to start you off...

It's true that I was maybe a little harsh in my assessment of how many marks you might lose in Q1 for not ending your letter properly. You'd probably lose 1 mark, but not 2. It does of course depend on the quality of the rest of the answer too, though.

For Q2 you will get some marks for 2-3 explanations but it depends more on the quality of the explanations than the quantity as to how many marks you might get.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree that asking you to start 'Dear friend' is odd They could have given the friend a name themselves to start you off...

It's true that I was maybe a little harsh in my assessment of how many marks you might lose in Q1 for not ending your letter properly. You'd probably lose 1 mark, but not 2. It does of course depend on the quality of the rest of the answer too, though.

For Q2 you will get some marks for 2-3 explanations but it depends more on the quality of the explanations than the quantity as to how many marks you might get.
    Angelil, would I lose marks for saying "Dear Tara" rather than "Dear Friend" - I know it was specified but it's so unnatural that I changed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontSweatIt)
    Angelil, would I lose marks for saying "Dear Tara" rather than "Dear Friend" - I know it was specified but it's so unnatural that I changed it.
    Her name wasn't tara? i don't know if you would be marked down? it could go either way.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't imagine so. It's just the same as giving the husband a name so. I did the same as you and have done before and nothing has been said about it. Plus it wouldn't hurt your reading OR writing would it so there's no reason for it to be picked at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So this exam........................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    I wouldn't imagine so. It's just the same as giving the husband a name so. I did the same as you and have done before and nothing has been said about it. Plus it wouldn't hurt your reading OR writing would it so there's no reason for it to be picked at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah fair enough. The day an English exam penalises for creat-- what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckzsjkc)
    hi may i ask what zone any of you guys are in.i am in zone 5 and i just did the exam.if any of you find a passage about miss salmon it is really tricky. read the passage very carefully. i lost marks cause i didn't.
    I wrote that the student did it, what did you wrote teacher or student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geeko)
    I wrote that the student did it, what did you wrote teacher or student?
    I wrote the teacher did it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nusquam)
    I wrote the teacher did it
    you are right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geeko)
    you are right
    I don't think there was any right or wrong answer, though - it was open to all kinds of interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll lose marks for that. Don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the grade boundaries will be ? I got 47/50 in coursework so what do u think I would have got to get in Paper 2 to get an A*/A ? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    https://www.change.org/p/cambridge-i...-0500-and-0522

ReputationRep:
    For q3 bullet point 1 I put:

- continue to relax
    - continue to study architecture and be awed by landscape
    - worry about husbands health
    - continue on itinerary
    - continue to learn about wildlife from locals
    - continue to be immersed in culture
    -take husband home from hospital

Is this okay?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.