Marriage blue over?

(Original post by vincrows)
    Marriage blue over?
    Not really, just getting slightly sick of being unmarried if ygm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Not really, just getting slightly sick of being unmarried if ygm
    Lol
    Won't be too long now. Go back to your facial and shopping spree.

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone's parents driving them to cambridge on the first day? And if yes, are they staying for the activities and talks organised by the college for parents?

ReputationRep:
    Do there exist other TSRians who do not yet know who their college parents are, or do not yet know about their accommodation?

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Do there exist other TSRians who do not yet know who their college parents are, or do not yet know about their accommodation?
    Yeah, me

ReputationRep:
    A very useful Cambridge Fresher's Guide - from Victorian times.

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/exhilaratio...ictorian-style

For example, these tips still seem relevent today:

"Don’t, if you are in lodgings, get too familiar with your landlady’s daughter, as she is probably more clever than you”
    and
    “Don’t attempt to keep every brand of wine under the sun. Most Undergrads cannot distinguish ‘Bordeaux’ from ‘Burgundy’ if served in a decanter.”

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, me
    did you not get ur letter from them ? or did they just not put their names on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Is everyone's parents driving them to cambridge on the first day? And if yes, are they staying for the activities and talks organised by the college for parents?
    I will be, and yes staying for afternoon tea & bickies as invited by the Senior Tutor. Would be rude not to...

But I'm not aware of any other "activities and talks"... we will be leaving college as soon as practical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Most parents do as you have loads of stuff you need to transport.
    But parents are to leave the college after they dropped their kid & belongings and carry them to their room. They're welcome to stay for a few hours to help them sort out the room and say final good bye, and a college cafe/bar and chapel will be open for them to get refreshment and light meal/snacks, too, but not beyond that.
    Definitely not for activities, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, me
    Phew. My college does stuff mainly through the post (), so I was a bit concerned that perhaps I had lost a letter or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    A very useful Cambridge Fresher's Guide - from Victorian times.

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/exhilaratio...ictorian-style

For example, these tips still seem relevent today:

"Don’t, if you are in lodgings, get too familiar with your landlady’s daughter, as she is probably more clever than you”
    and
    “Don’t attempt to keep every brand of wine under the sun. Most Undergrads cannot distinguish ‘Bordeaux’ from ‘Burgundy’ if served in a decanter.”
    Have read a similar article on a paper recently.
    Can't remember which paper (telegraph??????) or which college that was about, though......
    When I saw the headline, I thought it'd be an useful info for 2016 freshers and soon realised its not quite........

ReputationRep:
    Lol Are you sure Christ's offers things like that on the day?
    With hundreds of freshers and some older students depending on the day, not sure the college want the parents to linger on too long........especially at colleges in the town centre.
    And even if they do, it's more like the said tea & biscuit will be left in a cafe or hall for you to help yourself. Very unlikely a tutor or academic staff or whatever will be there to welcome you and have a chat with you.
    The organisation of the first day at college are usually left to JCR and posters team.
    I'm not interested in a "chat" just the free tea & bickies...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  DSC_0668.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  418.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Have read a similar article on a paper recently.
    Can't remember which paper (telegraph??????) or which college that was about, though......
    When I saw the headline, I thought it'd be an useful info for 2016 freshers and soon realised its not quite........
    Probably John's PR team swinging into action.

The Guardian, amongst others.
    https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...lege-cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I'm not interested in a "chat" just the free tea & bickies...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  DSC_0668.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  418.0 KB
    Yeah, I noticed you'd edited your post to add 'senior tutor invitation' bit, so I deleted the post.
    Seems Christ's more generous than my daughter's college if they can afford free teas and biscuits.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm sure they get Basics range from sainsbuty's across the road......

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I noticed you'd edited your post to add 'senior tutor invitation' bit, so I deleted the post.
    Seems Christ's more generous than my daughter's college if they can afford free teas and biscuits.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm sure they get Basics range from sainsbuty's across the road......
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think you'll find Christ's has a college account at Waitrose.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think you'll find Christ's has a college account at Waitrose.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've heard CAT talking about his Nectar card more than a few times.
    Maybe they're not paying their fellows well enough to shop at Waitrose. Maybe that's why he left for Mudwards........

ReputationRep:
    Phew. My college does stuff mainly through the post (), so I was a bit concerned that perhaps I had lost a letter or two.
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you sure you really got an offer?

Jk

Don't worry, it'll come by early next week.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.