Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    I hope more people hear from English soon too! I want to have a rough idea who I'll be there with
    Is St Andrews going to be your firm choice or will you go to Durham if they give you an offer?

Well the problem is I've got all excited about St Andrews now, and Durham would be a harder and stricter offer...So I'm slightly put off it

In the ideal situation, I wouldn't have to worry about it if Durham reject me, which I'm expecting anyway judging by the quality of people they've already rejected

ReputationRep:
    I guess youre predicted AAA, aren't you?
    Why havent you applied to Oxbridge?

Yeah I am, else I wouldn't dare any of the places I applied haha :tongue:

I was considering it, but I considered it too much of a lottery, and I found 5 choices that I really liked enough to not bother, you know ?

EDIT: Plus considering the competitiveness of my course anyway...I probably wouldn't dare!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nice.
    I didnt even apply to Oxbridge cause they simply dont offer the course I wanted to do.
    I didnt really wanna do Philosophy as a part of my degree and I didnt wanna do pure Politics or Economics.
    Im absolutely happy with IR in St Andrews but sometimes Im thinking that Im missing something if I dont go to Oxbridge.
    All my friends expected me to go there but in my opinion IR in St Andrews is absolutely great and offers me the same job prospects as a degree from Oxbridge.

Yeah, St Andrews is widely considered to be just AFTER Oxbridge in terms of prestige and prospects anyway...so I'm happy!

I know what you mean...About the thinking maybe you're missing out but I think St A's is far more me anyway

IR is SO competitive there...you must have wow-ed them with your application ha ha!

ReputationRep:
    I wanna work in an international organization after graduating and therefore its better to have a degree in IR than in e.g. PPE.
    A lot of people say that St Andrews is better for politics anyway, but most of my friends just know the overall reputation, you know.
    Nevertheless Im so happy 'bout St Andrews and cant wait to go there.
    Hmm its allways the same, I should learn but Im chatting on TSR

Aye, St A's is tops for politics/ir etc
    And liiiikewiiiise :excited: :woo:
    Haha, same same
    Gahh...

ReputationRep:
    Do you already know which accommodation youre applying to or atleast which one you are putting down as your favourite on the accommodation form?

Well you can't put a favourite down...you can only attach a separate begging note :tongue:

But I'm doing that and tailoring my preferences towards a shared catered room, and I'm thinking to ask for St Salvators or Mc Intosh!
    How about you ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what I meant by putting down your favourite
    Hmm I cant afford DRA or New Hall and I wanna live in one of the older accommodations anyway.
    I would love to be in one of those halls directly at one of the three main streets.
    Its a bit annoying cause I really love cooking but dont wanna go into Fife Park or Albany Park.
    Another important reason for me is the community feeling which is said to better in the catered halls so I think Im definitely choosing catered and maybe shared as its cheaper than a single room.
    Mc Intosh and St Savators would be great considering the location

Those were almost the exact same reasons I had for what I'll probs put
    Cos the older halls are so pretty, and the new ones are just, yuck

Plus I wana be central aswell, I'm just adjusting to the 'room sharing' thing ...cos first years in the older halls get put into shared automatically most of the time !

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its a bit annoying but in my opinion it can be a great experience to share a room with the right person.
    Do you know wheter its possible to change rooms if we cant cope with our roommate?

I think you can request a transfer after the first semester maybe? Or sooner, I guess it depends on how many other rooms they have free!

Yeah I'm hoping for a good room mate

ReputationRep:
    I visited John Burnett hall at the open day and the shared room was huge, but there are just about 45 people living in that hall

TOO SMALL

I want a big, sociable hall like Mc Intosh!

ReputationRep:
    Thats exactly my opinion, I love it to have a lot of people arround me and I guess there will be a lot more parties in a bigger hall.
    :danceboy: :yeah:

Yeah probably

Eeee it's exciting :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Argg I hate learning for Physics

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone *waves* My Gmail account continues to be very silent, putting myself through another day of torture. But it's all good. I sort of glanced at accommodation prices today and how much I'll be able to receive from the Swedish government and I was surprised to see that St Andrews accommodation was relatively cheap compared to Glasgow. Or at least on the accommodations that I compared to. I have a feeling that once I go to uni, I'll live on noodles and stuff like that.

Btw, are there any good gyms or something like that at St Andrews? There's probably a danger in asking too many question before I know whether or not I'll get in (but I wanna dream! ). I've made a promise to myself that regardless of where I end up, I'm gonna start exercising and stuff like that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.