Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wow! So many ACSi people!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    oh you too? from that heinous and torturous IB programme as well? hahaha..
    yes, that :woo: 2nd batch though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ripeboss)
    yes, that :woo: 2nd batch though :p:
    how did you do for it? must have gotten pretty high predicted grades to have unconditionals, well im assuming you applied before your results were out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    how did you do for it? must have gotten pretty high predicted grades to have unconditionals, well im assuming you applied before your results were out.
    heh, i applied after my results were out, late applicant :o: oh well. anywayyy, i got 43! these scores are getting so common, i wonder what will happen the years after us :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    heh, i applied after my results were out, late applicant :o: oh well. anywayyy, i got 43! these scores are getting so common, i wonder what will happen the years after us :rolleyes:
    erm.. 43 and you got rejected by KCL Business management?? weird.. and to think that i got 37, and got unconditionals from warwick.birmingham.kcl and durham for law.

and yes i agree that.. our school makes 40+ points look ridiculously like an underachievement. but congrats for your 43 pts, its still a pretty darn impressive score, regardless of acs or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    erm.. 43 and you got rejected by KCL Business management?? weird.. and to think that i got 37, and got unconditionals from warwick.birmingham.kcl and durham for law.

and yes i agree that.. our school makes 40+ points look ridiculously like an underachievement. but congrats for your 43 pts, its still a pretty darn impressive score, regardless of acs or not.
    no idea about kcl, possibly cos i applied on 14th feb, heh. but oh wellll. i know someone from my batch going to kcl for law too. this year though. she got 38!

heh, yes, it's too common! thanks anyway!

i may...just not be heading to uk if i get local law

ReputationRep:
    How is 40 for IB common? I mean, ACSi is pretty selective in who they take in for IB, so it isn't really a surprise, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    no idea about kcl, possibly cos i applied on 14th feb, heh. but oh wellll. i know someone from my batch going to kcl for law too. this year though. she got 38!

heh, yes, it's too common! thanks anyway!

i may...just not be heading to uk if i get local law
    you applied for both smu law and nus law then? good luck for them.. highly selective when it comes to IB scores, cause we did too well for our own good. you know there's a problem when someone gets into oxbridge law but gets rejected by smu law :confused:

(Original post by Lifeisnice)
    How is 40 for IB common? I mean, ACSi is pretty selective in who they take in for IB, so it isn't really a surprise, isn't it?
    well, i dont think anybody expected us to score so well in our first year, no matter how selective the ib induction was. 39.4 points as an average, is a pretty sick score i feel. when you consider, the cohort getting lectured after every post-exam for performing and scoring miserably.. hahah.

and the selection process for the guys at least in sec2, when they were selecting students for the pre-ib was a total farce.. i know for the girls coming in post-Olevels, it was pretty tough for them with strict cut-off points and all.. but for the guys back in sec2, i wont call it selective. pfffft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    you applied for both smu law and nus law then? good luck for them.. highly selective when it comes to IB scores, cause we did too well for our own good. you know there's a problem when someone gets into oxbridge law but gets rejected by smu law :confused:

well, i dont think anybody expected us to score so well in our first year, no matter how selective the ib induction was. 39.4 points as an average, is a pretty sick score i feel. when you consider, the cohort getting lectured after every post-exam for performing and scoring miserably.. hahah.

and the selection process for the guys at least in sec2, when they were selecting students for the pre-ib was a total farce.. i know for the girls coming in post-Olevels, it was pretty tough for them with strict cut-off points and all.. but for the guys back in sec2, i wont call it selective. pfffft.
    law interview tmr at nus :/ -runs around- TWEEEP. yes, definite weirdness singapore uni-s just don't appreciate, or understand IB enough atm... hahaha.

and, our cohort was CONSTANTLY compared to your batch, yadayada, so many lectures, for being complacent, thinking we are better than your batch, BLAHBLAHBLAH, we are going to screw up if we continue being so complacent and lazyyyy zzzz.
    heh i can see how the selection back in sec 2, wasn't very selective

ReputationRep:
    law interview tmr at nus :/ -runs around- TWEEEP. yes, definite weirdness singapore uni-s just don't appreciate, or understand IB enough atm... hahaha.

and, our cohort was CONSTANTLY compared to your batch, yadayada, so many lectures, for being complacent, thinking we are better than your batch, BLAHBLAHBLAH, we are going to screw up if we continue being so complacent and lazyyyy zzzz.
    heh i can see how the selection back in sec 2, wasn't very selective
    Singapore Universities are just bizarre. Taking the worst of British and American Academic traditions. Heh. On the other hand, they just like to artificially restrict supply, so there.

Your point about the cohort being lectured is commonplace though; its fear mongering, plain and simple. As I see it now, ACSi's IB is pretty selective for its programme, irregardless of how they selected at Secondary 2 in ACSi.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)

Getting rejected by SMU Law pre or post interview? If its post interview, its not surprising, since they believe themselves to be excellent judges of 'potential'. Heh:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifeisnice)
    Getting rejected by SMU Law pre or post interview? If its post interview, its not surprising, since they believe themselves to be excellent judges of 'potential'. Heh:rolleyes:
    the one i know is pre-interview.

ReputationRep:
    HUH, pre-interview! :-o That is quite insane. Okayyy. Heh, they just like to keep cohort sizes of dentistry, medicine and law to a tiny weenyyy number, and come out saying, whoops, we have a lack of DOCTORS, so we are getting foreign talent :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    the one i know is pre-interview.
    Then I guess its just artificial restriction of supply, then. Either that, or SMU might have required some sort of personal statement and your friend didn't do well in that; this is just speculation, I have no idea whether SMU requires a personal statement or something.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    ASCI PEOPLE!

do you find IB is like a joke? as compared to A.

i grew up in singapore, did my primary and secondary (nanhua) education there, but i recently moved to hk for IB, cos of my parents work. i feel so lucky to have escaped from the hardcore mug A level life in singapore. but my friends in hk say IB is hell stressful....

i personally find it pretty much like a joke, academic wise, as compared to A levels. im not saying that i will get 45 or something, but decent enough to get me into schs like Imperial or UCL (which i have nvr imagined in nan hua).

just curious to find out how fellow singapore local students taking IB think about the course. a joke or toughy?

ReputationRep:
    is anyone gng to glasgow uni this sept?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenbellston)
    ASCI PEOPLE!

do you find IB is like a joke? as compared to A.

i grew up in singapore, did my primary and secondary (nanhua) education there, but i recently moved to hk for IB, cos of my parents work. i feel so lucky to have escaped from the hardcore mug A level life in singapore. but my friends in hk say IB is hell stressful....

i personally find it pretty much like a joke, academic wise, as compared to A levels. im not saying that i will get 45 or something, but decent enough to get me into schs like Imperial or UCL (which i have nvr imagined in nan hua).

just curious to find out how fellow singapore local students taking IB think about the course. a joke or toughy?
    actually the exams/actual papers i found it okay. but the school stresses us out i feel. they dont give us enough time to study for the midterms and mock exams, throw us coursework at the same time, so in turn when the results are out, it would turn out bad. THEN the school will start lecturing cohort. it might be different for everyone, but i feel that for the first batch of students, we were really treated like guinea pigs.

and since we are the first batch, the teachers themselves arent too sure of the teaching style as not all of them had ib experience. only one or two. so in the end, we were pretty much taught IB in typical A-levels mugging style. which amounted to an unhealthy load of mugging WITH coursework.

i actually did 7 drafts for my worldLit essays. and 12 drafts for my extended essay. stay up till 3 or 4am as a CLASS on MSN, to discuss stupid math portfolio. get hounded by CAS coordinator, almost on a weekly basis. it was basically 2 years of JC excluding the life and fun that usually entails it.

so my verdict is, IB is pretty well rounded i feel, and i would be glad to do it in any established IB school anywhere in the world, except ACS Independent, cause its the school that makes the programme look like a joke and 'toughy' at the same time. perhaps, it would turn out different in a couple of years, but i doubt so. the average point for the cohort only can go up, not down. 39.4 pts in 2007. 40.2 pts in 2008. whats next?

and on a side note, i was from nanhua primary too! from primary 4 to 6.

and congrats on your offer especially the Imperial and Warwick MORSE ones...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heading to Warwick this year?

I've got an offer for History and Politics but still mulling over whether to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    Anyone heading to Warwick this year?

I've got an offer for History and Politics but still mulling over whether to take it.

i might be going there! for MORSE, haha, if you have heard of it before.. (probably not)

ReputationRep:
    hahaa again no one here.... is imperial or nus better for med?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.