13.12%
    St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    I was after some sort of advice for 1 undergrad uni to apply to.
    I've got a 2:1 degree in BMedSci and I'm looking to apply to an undergrad choice as my 4th option.

My ukcat average is 743, so maybe a ukcat heavy university.

A-levels: AABbb
    GCSE: 4 A*s, 8As etc

I've got all the relevant work experience. Anyone with any ideas on where would be best to apply as my 4th option?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mithi98)
    About St Georg's... it's just I didn't like the place.. I couldn't imagine staying 5/6 years there... And they said their UKCAT cut off is strict. Last year it was 650 and based on the preliminary results, the average is going to go up and so their cut off

The minimum requirements for the extended course is to attend a state non-selective school in London and their A Level requirement is ABB-AAA, so my question is if I'm predicted A*A*A*A can they reject me saying that the course is targeted to people with lower predictions?
    They can't reject you because of that, some other medical schools have those sorts of requirements for different circumstances,
    What about st georges did you not like? I'm going to apply there however I have not been to an open day.

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone applying for their 5th option and where? So confused as to whether it's worth it?

If you're reading this please replyyy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    What's everyone applying for their 5th option and where? So confused as to whether it's worth it?

I'm probably doing something really random ie Chem or Maths or like economics lol I find most subjects really interesting

ReputationRep:

I didnt bother as if I dont get an offer this year I am 100% taking a gap year and reapplying (unless I flop A2) so I dont see the point. If you are more unsure though, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    I didnt bother as if I dont get an offer this year I am 100% taking a gap year and reapplying (unless I flop A2) so I dont see the point. If you are more unsure though, go for it!
    I'm doing the same

ReputationRep:
    I'm 100% taking a gap year if I don't get in as well! I still put a BioMed application on there thoughh. Just for shits and giggles. (jk)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on taking a gap year but just in case my mind changes in a year time I'll keep another choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selgomez11)
    I'm planning on taking a gap year but just in case my mind changes in a year time I'll keep another choice
    go for it! i'm on a gap year too - it's been great so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I'm doing the same
    Yes lads

(Original post by Bright_Gift)
    I'm 100% taking a gap year if I don't get in as well! I still put a BioMed application on there thoughh. Just for shits and giggles. (jk)

Hahaha. Just for the banter I would if I could apply somewhere which lets you transfer to medicine after but don't think I qualify

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good point!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I really can't decide between Birmingham and Liverpool. I would really appreciate some help. I will be applying to Cardiff Leicester and Exeter.
    Here are my stats...
    Gcse: 6A* 5A
    A level (achieved) : A*A*A c
    UKCAT: 640 average band 2
    Ps: pharmacy, care home, shadowed doctors in hospital for a week, research lab, evidence of leadership, show realistic interest in medicine.

I calculated my score for Birmingham and I got 6.8333 and they're cut off was 6.17 last year. Idk how much it could change. Please help me choose between Birmingham and Liverpool. Where would I have a higher chance for interview?

Also, can someone briefly explain what Liverpool is like to live in.

ReputationRep:

Pharmacy at kcl. Already on a gap year. Can't afford to have another one. Also don't want to do biomed bc I can't afford to do GEM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    Hey guys. I really can't decide between Birmingham and Liverpool. I would really appreciate some help. I will be applying to Cardiff Leicester and Exeter.
    Here are my stats...
    Gcse: 6A* 5A
    A level (achieved) : A*A*A c
    UKCAT: 640 average band 2
    Ps: pharmacy, care home, shadowed doctors in hospital for a week, research lab, evidence of leadership, show realistic interest in medicine.

I calculated my score for Birmingham and I got 6.8333 and they're cut off was 6.17 last year. Idk how much it could change. Please help me choose between Birmingham and Liverpool. Where would I have a higher chance for interview?

Also, can someone briefly explain what Liverpool is like to live in.
    Please don't ignore this. I really need some advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    Please don't ignore this. I really need some advice
    Hey! Definitely do Liverpool because you'll need high stats for Birmingham imo. Personally I have similar stats in terms of ukcat and GCSEs to you and I'm applying to Liverpool too. But then again the 3 A*s will looks really impressive to Birmingham, but as your UKCAT is not as high or neither your GCSEs this may disadvantage you whilst Liverpool would love it. Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Don't really know but when I'm sending it off ill definitely putting something there even though the chances of me doing it are like <1%

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Definitely do Liverpool because you'll need high stats for Birmingham imo. Personally I have similar stats in terms of ukcat and GCSEs to you and I'm applying to Liverpool too. But then again the 3 A*s will looks really impressive to Birmingham, but as your UKCAT is not as high or neither your GCSEs this may disadvantage you whilst Liverpool would love it. Hope I helped
    Thanks for replying. Actually Birmingham doesn't see A* as being any higher than an A and they don't even use a2 for picking applicants for interviews. It's entirely based on gcse and ukcat. But then Liverpool is subjective in picking bc stage 2 is on ps. I'm going round in circles. And I want to send off the application tonight.

What made you pick Liverpool. Have u been to an open day there?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Don't really know but when I'm sending it off ill definitely putting something there even though the chances of me doing it are like <1%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't bother. Take a gap year instead. But on ur gap year definitely have a 5th choice that's you'd be willing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    Thanks for replying. Actually Birmingham doesn't see A* as being any higher than an A and they don't even use a2 for picking applicants for interviews. It's entirely based on gcse and ukcat. But then Liverpool is subjective in picking bc stage 2 is on ps. I'm going round in circles. And I want to send off the application tonight.

What made you pick Liverpool. Have u been to an open day there?
    Oh wow, sorry about that, I didn't know that they won't use A2 for picking applicants. I do think that you should choose Liverpool tho.
    I want to choose Liverpool mainly because it suits my stats tbh, I did like their course structure too

ReputationRep:
    Guys really need some advice!!!

Predicted Irish Leaving Cert Grades
    5A1 and 1A2
    UKcat 663
    Work experience: 2 weeks hospital in 3rd world country and 2 week paediatric GP
    Considering: KCL, queen Mary, Exeter but don't know about 4th option.
    Do I stand chance at my options???!!!
    What med schools would u recommend I apply to?????

Please help :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebro16)
    Guys really need some advice!!!

Predicted Irish Leaving Cert Grades
    5A1 and 1A2
    UKcat 663
    Work experience: 2 weeks hospital in 3rd world country and 2 week paediatric GP
    Considering: KCL, queen Mary, Exeter but don't know about 4th option.
    Do I stand chance at my options???!!!
    What med schools would u recommend I apply to?????

Please help :'(
    Hiya,
    I am in the same position as you in choosing which Unis to go to and whether I stand a chance or not. My UKCAT was 683 so I am trying to steer clear of UKCAT heavy universities. I'd probably advise you to look at universities which maybe do not weight UKCAT as highly as predicted grades as you Leaving Cert results look really good.
    I would love to apply to medical unis in Dublin/Cork even Galway. What is the process because I am from the North!
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.