Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Eu one caught me suprise but i smashed jt

ReputationRep:
    Eu has surrendered powers thus mps lose law making powers

Eu is good for rep democ as we have elected meps who negotiate across europe for us

Devolution gives more powers to mps in devolved states like wales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    Eu one caught me suprise but i smashed jt
    What did you put???

ReputationRep:
    I did electoral systems and pressure groups.(25) marker for electoral systems was fairly nice. Talked in full about FPTP, AMS and STV (Advantages + Disadvantages) and quickly wrote down something about party list in the last 2 minutes, about how if it were used in the 2015 general election, it would've produced different results. (I assumed that it would be okay to include that with party list because it's a form of PR)

(25) marker for pressure groups was quite difficult in my opinion. By the time I was answering it, I had like 15 minutes left, which gave me no time to go in-depth with arguments to suggest their power and influence hadn't changed, or in fact declined. So it was a bit messy, but hopefully I won't get a bad score for that.

The (5)s for both were fairly straight forward, no fuss. Hopefully 4 or 5 for each.

The (10)s were a bit difficult. The (10) for electoral systems asked for three ways in which elections promoted democracy. I talked about the legislative function (how it transfers power), the representative function (how parties represent people by manifestos and promises, not sure on how good that was..) and a bit about the educative function (how parties inform the electorate, help them make an informed decision, make them politically aware, etc.)

The (10) for pressure groups was okay, I guess. It asked why some groups used illegal methods, and I gave reasons like how they might not be 'insider' status, that they've exhausted all other forms of direct action/legal methods, and how in some cases illegal methods are more effective in gaining publicity and influence. Mainly used Fathers4Justice (I know, it's an old example, but I had a brain freeze and couldn't think of another) as well as the ALF using letterbombs. Tl;Dr Timing was an absolute killer! 1 hour and 20 minutes is cutting it thin.

ReputationRep:
    Will I get a low mark on then electoral systems question because I only wrote about 2 systems

ReputationRep:
    Went into that exam pumped and ready to go. Elections was a piece of cake especially the 25 mark, until I saw democracy.

Did edexcel think we were doing a unit 2 question, because it felt like it

ReputationRep:
    10 marker pressure groups:

Because they want media attention
    Because they lack funds for legal methods eg adverts
    Because they are outsiders

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why people think the paper was easy

My teacher said it was one of the hardest she has seen since the syllabus was introduced.
    She said the 25 marker for
    Democracy was really cruel compared to recent years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Will I get a low mark on then electoral systems question because I only wrote about 2 systems
    I think its good vine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TySnaps97)
    Went into that exam pumped and ready to go. Elections was a piece of cake especially the 25 mark, until I saw democracy.

Did edexcel think we were doing a unit 2 question, because it felt like it
    Exactly
    What did you write for the elections promoting democracy?

ReputationRep:
    For the EU question,i wrote one point on Devolved powers increasing rep democracy
    One point on eu lawmaking takjng away our power
    One point on scotlsnd voting on english only laws
    And one point on how mep elections improve rep demo

How many marks do you think i got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam1793)
    For the EU question,i wrote one point on Devolved powers increasing rep democracy

That was such an uncessaey question. Reckon I got a D or E tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    I only had time to do fptp and ams which probably means we might get marked down- unless the content was good itself..

What did people put for the conclusion in the election 25

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam1793)

Same here, being more representative as well as they have the people's interests at heart - also representatives have more experience, did u talk about direct democracy as well? And how the EU makes decisions unelected ... Blah

ReputationRep:
    I did the same! I don't know how well I did though, because I didn't have many examples, it was really limited 😢

ReputationRep:
    I just did the exam! I'm freaking out! I didn't have time to finish the second 25 mark question! AGGHHHH
    I did elections and pressure groups. And I have to say I did not expect that essay question on democracy.
    Does anyone feel like they messed up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana208)
    I only had time to do fptp and ams which probably means we might get marked down- unless the content was good itself..

What did people put for the conclusion in the election 25
    I basically said that each system has its own merits and advantages but also share a number of disadvantages and shortfalls, including FPTP, AMS and STV. My conclusion really was shallow, but I was running out of time so I had to move on quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Voting is currently not compulsory in the UK however there have been several arguments levied that it needs now to be made mandatory, these have included: • It would increase participation levels for all levels of elections ranging from local and EU elections which are dangerously low to elections for Westminster • It has been introduced in other countries such as Australia and Belgium hence it is a practical possibility • Increased levels of participation could generate increased legitimacy • Compulsory voting would be a catalyst for wider civic duties in society • Compulsory voting may extend the citizens understanding of issues and the functions of government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefy008)
    I just did the exam! I'm freaking out! I didn't have time to finish the second 25 mark question! AGGHHHH
    I did elections and pressure groups. And I have to say I did not expect that essay question on democracy.
    Does anyone feel like they messed up?
    I have to do well in Unit 2
    That's how sure my grade was low on that paper.

ReputationRep:
    Basically because it's the last year of the spec edexcel thought they would just put random questions in there to finish them up

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.