Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vannzzoo)
    Will they mark an annotated mass spec?????
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    I don't know man but i would said the first one is a quartet of quartets, and the second one is a quartet of triplets (or the other way round i forgot).
    are we meant to include N-H as contributing to the splitting??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    are we meant to include N-H as contributing to the splitting??
    http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~harding/IG..._doublets.html, yeah we shouldn't be so that would be a quartet

ReputationRep:
    http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~harding/IG..._doublets.html, yeah we shouldn't be so that would be a quartet
    yeah I didn't think we included them either because they always are classed as singlets in the nmr spectra so didn't think they split other proton environments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.Branson98)
    According to wikipedia, it would be called benzyl benzoate.
    Why though..?

ReputationRep:
    yeah I didn't think we included them either because they always are classed as singlets in the nmr spectra so didn't think they split other proton environments
    the only hard thing of splitting is CH3-CH2-CH3 which they ask once in this spec only, and never in the last spec i think.

ReputationRep:
    the only hard thing of splitting is CH3-CH2-CH3 which they ask once in this spec only, and never in the last spec i think.
    that would be a septet or just multiplet
    you'd say it's adjacent to 2xCH3

ReputationRep:
    Just like the oxygen shields hydrogen atom in OH to produce a splitting, does Nitrogen to the same for NH2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    Why though..?
    benzyl alcohol is C6H5CH2OH. don't ask me why though......

ReputationRep:
    that would be a septet or just multiplet
    you'd say it's adjacent to 2xCH3
    it would not be in a high resolution NMR.

ReputationRep:
    it would not be in a high resolution NMR.
    why wouldn't it be?

(Original post by KB_97)
    They'll surely tell you the compound is a halogenoalkane then tell you to work out its structure right? There wouldn't be a peak for bromine would there?
    Hopefully

ReputationRep:
    why wouldn't it be?
    cuz you take the highest number of neighbouring protons in consideration first. (3) then the one with less number of neighbouring protons (it is again 3). n+1 rule, so it would be a quartet (the one with more protons) of quartets (the one with less protons) i think. my teacher got very angry when he saw the answer allows heptet.

(p.s. this is not in the spec and you can write heptet !!!!!!)

(Original post by RayMasterio)
    Just like the oxygen shields hydrogen atom in OH to produce a splitting, does Nitrogen to the same for NH2?
    Yes as we have an N-H peak

ReputationRep:
    it would be a quartet of quartets. cuz you take the highest number of neighbouring protons in consideration first. (3) then the one with less number of neighbouring protons (it is still 3). so i think it would be a quartet of quartets. my teacher got very angry when he saw the answer allows heptet.

Please, stop making our lives more difficult, most of us find NMR on the spec hard enough lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rory58824)
    Please, stop making our lives more difficult, most of us find NMR on the spec hard enough lol.
    i fear that one day they would not allow this and we will all cry at the exam room

ReputationRep:
    i fear that one day they would not allow this and we will all cry at the exam room
    pls no

ReputationRep:
    cuz you take the highest number of neighbouring protons in consideration first. (3) then the one with less number of neighbouring protons (it is again 3). n+1 rule, so it would be a quartet (the one with more protons) of quartets (the one with less protons) i think. my teacher got very angry when he saw the answer allows heptet.

not heptet it is a septet - and quartet of quartets is the same as a septet
    you don't even need to be specific - past quartet you can just call it multiplet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    Yeah, I got confused about that one when I was doing it, but my teacher said not to worry about the splitting of any benzene peaks, apparently it's higher level than A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh okay, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Will anyone be doing UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME tomorow?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.