University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Are you sure you really got an offer?

Jk

Don't worry, it'll come by early next week.
    Im going on the 25th aswell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Im going on the 25th aswell...
    For the maths thing?
    I'm sure it will come well before that.
    Is there any particular things you want to know asap.....like now?
    Have you seen this? Is it possible this is replacing a physical info pack??
    http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/sites/...ooklet2016.pdf

And this?
    http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/admiss...adregmail.html

Perhaps homerton's porters decided the post office is too far to bother ......

Edit:
    Have JCR opened Homerton 2016 Freshers FB page?
    Members of JCR freshers team should be manning it, so you can ask them anything you need there, if you need to know something soon.

Edit 2 : read through the links above.
    Seems like homerton really might've gone digital.............
    Ask on JCR freshers page if they really have.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody else been asked to do things for the local press? I've just done something and will be told where my picture's going but I'm kinda feeling uneasy about it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by highestmountain)
    Has anybody else been asked to do things for the local press? I've just done something and will be told where my picture's going but I'm kinda feeling uneasy about it :/
    You're a celebrity!
    I haven't (other than the front of the school website) but I wouldn't worry too much about it, do you remember the 3rd page of 3 weeks ago?

(Original post by EnglishMuon)
    did you not get ur letter from them ? or did they just not put their names on
    Nah no letter

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Phew. My college does stuff mainly through the post (), so I was a bit concerned that perhaps I had lost a letter or two.
    Haha don't worry. My college sent me a little questionnaire to fill in to find my perfect family aha

I've been nominated for an award in this thing my town does to celebrate high achievers. The person on the phone seemed almost in tears because someone from my background is going to Cambridge aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Haha don't worry. My college sent me a little questionnaire to fill in to find my perfect family aha

I'm jealous. I like filling out questionnaires

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    You're a celebrity!
    I haven't (other than the front of the school website) but I wouldn't worry too much about it, do you remember the 3rd page of 3 weeks ago?
    Haha Well I don't mind it being in the paper per se, but I'm uneasy about if it makes the online version, because then it will be stuck there for a while :/

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    I've been nominated for an award in this thing my town does to celebrate high achievers. The person on the phone seemed almost in tears because someone from my background is going to Cambridge aha
    Nice one, I can understand

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got an offer for maths and a 2 page spread about him was in the local paper, saying how great it was going to be to study at Cambrdige.

He then absolutely bombed STEP and missed his offer by a mile.

So no matter what's written about you, it won't be that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Haha Well I don't mind it being in the paper per se, but I'm uneasy about if it makes the online version, because then it will be stuck there for a while :/

Nice one, I can understand
    Articles about my daughter on local papers are still stuck on their digital version, one is since 7 yrs ago and the other since 5 yrs ago......)

These days, most local papers upload their articles to the digital edition, but some delete them after a while, some just leave them there forever......
    But either way, people will forget it soon, and even if someone find it alter years later, it's a good news, so I don't think you need to worry too much.

One little annoying thing was the paper who reported about her GCSE award added their version of her 'comment.'
    The first and very valuable lesson on how a media spins a story.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I know someone who got an offer for maths and a 2 page spread about him was in the local paper, saying how great it was going to be to study at Cambrdige.

This is glorious. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Articles about my daughter on local papers are still stuck on their digital version, one about her top GCSE award with the board (7 yrs ago...) and the other with her fellow students of her school when they got offers from Oxbridge (5 yrs ago......)

These days, most local,papers upload their articles to the digital edition, but some delete them after a while, some just leave them there forever......
    But either way, people will forget it soon, and even if someone find it alter years later, it's a good news, so I don't think you need to worry too much.

One little annoying thing was the paper who reported about her GCSE award added their version of her 'comment.' They only talked with the school and didn't interview her directly, and the school was adamant they didn't made up the comment.
    The first and very valuable lesson on how a media spins a story.......
    I'll think about asking if they can opt out of putting it online, after all there are many small articles that don't make the online version because they are very brief

(Original post by alow)

Oh wow, that's a calamity!

ReputationRep:
    I'll think about asking if they can opt out of putting it online, after all there are many small articles that don't make the online version because they are very brief

Oh wow, that's a calamity!
    Good idea.
    And ask (read : tell) them not to make up a story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    “Don’t attempt to keep every brand of wine under the sun. Most Undergrads cannot distinguish ‘Bordeaux’ from ‘Burgundy’ if served in a decanter.”
    Handy hint for today's undergraduates-to-be...A good Bordeaux should have a faint smell of pencil lead and a good Burgundy a faint smell of farmyard.

Us oldies are so full of useful information! :shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    A very useful Cambridge Fresher's Guide - from Victorian times.

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/exhilaratio...ictorian-style

For example, these tips still seem relevent today:

"Don’t, if you are in lodgings, get too familiar with your landlady’s daughter, as she is probably more clever than you”
    and
    “Don’t attempt to keep every brand of wine under the sun. Most Undergrads cannot distinguish ‘Bordeaux’ from ‘Burgundy’ if served in a decanter.”
    To be fair if I was blindfolded I doubt I could tell red from white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Handy hint for today's undergraduates-to-be...A good Bordeaux should have a faint smell of pencil lead and a good Burgundy a faint smell of farmyard.

but it's the same colour, hence the same wine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    To be fair if I was blindfolded I doubt I could tell red from white.
    You'll know. You get drunk quicker with red than white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)

Very true

And sauvingon blanc is grassy cat's piss. (Which is why I can't stand the stuff...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasfxekl)
    but it's the same colour, hence the same wine
    http://cubwts.soc.srcf.net/wordpress/

ReputationRep:
    'twas a joke
    i actually want to join that society ...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.