Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenbellston)
    ASCI PEOPLE!

do you find IB is like a joke? as compared to A.

i grew up in singapore, did my primary and secondary (nanhua) education there, but i recently moved to hk for IB, cos of my parents work. i feel so lucky to have escaped from the hardcore mug A level life in singapore. but my friends in hk say IB is hell stressful....

i personally find it pretty much like a joke, academic wise, as compared to A levels. im not saying that i will get 45 or something, but decent enough to get me into schs like Imperial or UCL (which i have nvr imagined in nan hua).

just curious to find out how fellow singapore local students taking IB think about the course. a joke or toughy?
    btw think A Levels is tougher than IB. A-Levels you have to go more indepth, and no matter what people say about completing a 5k word essay and doing presentations, the criteria is quite low compared to the criteria for A-Level standard, so... its harder for A's I think

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Anyone applying to UK universities come 1 September? Maybe we can get to know each other?haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Hello!

Anyone applying to UK universities come 1 September? Maybe we can get to know each other?haha
    applying for the 2009/2010 cycle?

or entering uni in 2010? hahah.. if its the latter, then me!

if its the former, then im already done wth the whole ucas app process fortunately. haha.

ReputationRep:
    i'm probably going to UEA or Brunel sept 09 for music technology. (: anybody going to UEA?

ReputationRep:
    Random question... can anyone recommend any nightclubs in Singapore? I will be there in September, planning to be out every night lol. What's the nightlife like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    Random question... can anyone recommend any nightclubs in Singapore? I will be there in September, planning to be out every night lol. What's the nightlife like?
    BUTTER FACTORY.

go on wednesday night if you want mambo night.

hahaha.. enjoy then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    applying for the 2009/2010 cycle?

or entering uni in 2010? hahah.. if its the latter, then me!

if its the former, then im already done wth the whole ucas app process fortunately. haha.
    Haha, saw you in the other law thread. Feeling apprehensive - I just want to get into KCL so badly. Arag.

ReputationRep:
    hi!

are there any Astar MBBS PhD scholars here?

ReputationRep:
    anyone heading to uni of bristol this year? i would be reading law! don't know anyone there AT ALL so it would be nice to know some people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    Practically anywhere in Clarke Quay, that is where the majority of all the clubs are in Singapore

I would recommend, The Arena, Attica, Zirka, Zouk, Clinic is really cool- not really a club but is in the centre of Clarke Quay and you get syringe shots and coctail drips, wheelchairs for seats etc. it is great fun to start the evening off. Also China one is good but can get insanely packed

There are also some great places to have dinner across the river from CK like Brewerkz (restaurant and brewery) and Iguanas along the river is really nice

There is also the reverse bungee in Clarke quay with a bar next door but that tends to be full of the older foreigners....there is a hooters too but I haven't been in there before

...hope this helped! If you want any more info, just let me know!

ReputationRep:
    One question - is it there a big difference between weekends and weekdays around Clarke Quay? Or is it busy every night?

ReputationRep:
    best club in Sg is Zouk!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm kinda new to this, so...I will be going to a UWC soon to do the IB although im currently in a JC, so i was wondering if any of the ACS guys there could tell me how it is...

ReputationRep:
    ^^

as in, how would your rate the difficulty and what subjects would your recommend that is in your opinion easy to score?

ReputationRep:
    Do IB at ACS I. They are very, very well prepared to tackle the exams and IAs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    One question - is it there a big difference between weekends and weekdays around Clarke Quay? Or is it busy every night?
    Friday and Saturday are the main nights to go out but wednesday is ladies night so girls get in for free, that's a great night to go out and thursday is ok but friday is better obviously

monday and tuesday things are pretty dead in the clubs except for the restaurants and pubs....but there aren't too many pubs around...there is a good one in orchard called 'The sportsman' it's a scottish pub and is a great place to meet fellow foreigners (if you go it is opposite wheelock place above harry's bar...but there is a website for the pub with the address, that is pretty much full most nights )

ReputationRep:
    Lol i'm not really out to meet "fellow foreigners" haha. Ummm, it's a bit annoying because I'm there Sunday to Saturday, so I don't get a Saturday night. I will probably go Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday if I don't feel like sleeping. I really wanna make the most of this, shame I'm missing Saturday though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermann)
    Hey!

I'm kinda new to this, so...I will be going to a UWC soon to do the IB although im currently in a JC, so i was wondering if any of the ACS guys there could tell me how it is...
    is your qn about UWC or IB in general?

anyway, as rawking punkster said below, go acs for your ib if you dont mind going through 2 years of intense and mad studying but with fantastic end results.

and yes both rawkingpunkster and i are from acs ib's first batch of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermann)
    ^^

as in, how would your rate the difficulty and what subjects would your recommend that is in your opinion easy to score?
    how difficult.. haha. .thats a good question. i think my school overprepared us thus the exams were easier than we expected honestly. cause i definitely did a lot better than my mock exams and such.

haha easy subjects? unless you are intending to take maths studies or chinese b SL, there are no free-7-points subject in IB. but definitely the harder ones are like Math/English at HL with loads of coursework.

your subject choice should be oriented with what you are intending to pursue in uni.. as math HL IS needed for engineering and such in the top schools, Eng HL is preferred for law and history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    how difficult.. haha. .thats a good question. i think my school overprepared us thus the exams were easier than we expected honestly. cause i definitely did a lot better than my mock exams and such.

haha easy subjects? unless you are intending to take maths studies or chinese b SL, there are no free-7-points subject in IB. but definitely the harder ones are like Math/English at HL with loads of coursework.

your subject choice should be oriented with what you are intending to pursue in uni.. as math HL IS needed for engineering and such in the top schools, Eng HL is preferred for law and history.
    ^

thats the whole point...i more or less decided already what i want to take for the highers, but i just cant decide what to replace for my physics since i detest the subject albeit i took it for the O levels and currently for the A levels (at least while im still in Singapore)...thinking about philosophy or maybe just bio which i'm sure is easy to score since bio is just alot memory work, but still, its memory work

WIth regard to going to ACS to do the IB, looks like i can't go there because of my smattering amount of A2's, kind of sad really since i was aiming to go there...but i'm still going over with a truckload of ACS notes since i've seniors kind enough there to lend me the notes! lols

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.