Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    basically in GCSE business and economics i got an A because my whole year gropus contolled assessment was moved down. Mine went from an A* to a C. My question is "if i wana do economics at a top uni such as oxbridge, LSE or UCL will not getting an A* at GCSE in economics affect my chances?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisjokes)
    I hope so too, but I was under the impression that LSE are notorious for making late decisions.

I think they do (did?) for Economics applicants, but I'm not sure when. I've applied for Philosophy and Economics so not too sure whether they'll ask for my UMS scores? Hopefully not, they're not nearly as good as some of the Cambridge applicants I've seen on this thread
    I think it's only for straight Economics and (maybe) Maths and Economics. I know most courses don't bother with it so you should be OK!

ReputationRep:
    Sent my application today. Finally.
    I'm having a mock interview on Monday with my Economics teacher's husband (he works in IB) - I hope he won't be too scary!

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think that an econ graduate from Lse will have an advantage over graduates from places like Warwick/UCL when it comes to jobs in finance or postgraduate research?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe_P)
    Oxbridge wouldn't look too favourably upon the B and the C, and the Warwick offer is A*AAa with an a at AS so I don't think you meet that criteria sorry .
    yeah i'm resitting the B.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    basically in GCSE business and economics i got an A because my whole year gropus contolled assessment was moved down. Mine went from an A* to a C. My question is "if i wana do economics at a top uni such as oxbridge, LSE or UCL will not getting an A* at GCSE in economics affect my chances?"
    Don't be silly. Of course not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    best unis for economics(top 6 or 7)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuDa2103)
    Do you guys think that an econ graduate from Lse will have an advantage over graduates from places like Warwick/UCL when it comes to jobs in finance or postgraduate research?
    Warwick, yes. UCL, not really.

My dad works in investment banking and they go to UCL, LSE, Cambridge, Oxford and sometimes Imperial to recruit graduate trainees. They do bring in people from other universities, but they have to come to them to get a job, whereas people at the previously mentioned universities are actively sought out by the bank he works for. However, the people who usually get these positions (which are pretty well payed at about £40k-42k per year) have got a masters degree and often an MBA from top business schools (such as Cass Business School).

ReputationRep:
    What would be good A levels for an economics related degree other than maths?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL and Warwick for the top 5. After that it's a bit more difficult to say, but personally I'd probably go with Bristol, Bath and Nottingham. Lots of other very very good universities for Econ though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TherHig)
    Further maths, economics + any traditional subject (sciences and humanities)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anybody receive the email from LSE today saying that they will update us in two weeks time? Does this mean that we can realistically expect a decision so soon?
    Reading last years thread, it seems LSE were infamously bad about responses. They left a lot of people until deadline day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuDa2103)
    Probably slight but nothing too major. Warwick/UCL are on par.

Cambridge, Oxford (E&M), LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham

(Original post by robin1125)
    Warwick, yes. UCL, not really.

My dad works in investment banking and they go to UCL, LSE, Cambridge, Oxford and sometimes Imperial to recruit graduate trainees. They do bring in people from other universities, but they have to come to them to get a job, whereas people at the previously mentioned universities are actively sought out by the bank he works for. However, the people who usually get these positions (which are pretty well payed at about £40k-42k per year) have got a masters degree and often an MBA from top business schools (such as Cass Business School).
    That may be true now, but in the future I believe we will see many more Warwick IBers. It is definitely a target uni.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of course I'd say Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Bath

(Original post by TherHig)
    Well Economics of course :P. An essay subject like History or Geography would be very helpful, Sciences/languages aren't bad choices and Further Maths would be recommended if you're aiming for the maths-intensive courses. A subject from each category would be ideal.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how good places like Nottingham/bath/york are when responding to applications ?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL and Warwick for the top 5. After that it's a bit more difficult to say, but personally I'd probably go with Bristol, Bath and Nottingham. Lots of other very very good universities for Econ though!
    Would you be saying Bristol, Bath, Nottingham in that order? Or all level after Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Would you be saying Bristol, Bath, Nottingham in that order? Or all level after Warwick?
    I'd say Bristol's on par with Bath tbf, Bristol might be a tiny bit more prestigious according to some but Bath does have a quality placement year which balances it out. Notts, while the uni is good, their Econ course lacks mathematical rigor from what I've seen (you don't even need A Level Maths for example) which is why I'd place it below Bristol and Bath.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Bristol and Bath are probably equal, with Nottingham slightly beneath. It's probably really negligible though, and in terms of employment I can't see there being very much between them. Complete conjecture though, so I have no idea and it's all just my opinion.

What do you think the best universities are for Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    I'd say Bristol's on par with Bath tbf, Bristol might be a tiny bit more prestigious according to some but Bath does have a quality placement year which balances it out. Notts, while the uni is good, their Econ course lacks mathematical rigor from what I've seen (you don't even need A Level Maths for example) which is why I'd place it below Bristol and Bath.
    I'd say Job prospects are higher at Bath from the stats I've seen, but the course is better at Bristol, in my opinion. Certainly though, I'd say Bristol is higher than Bath if we don't include the placement year because then it goes down to who's course is better and personally, I think Bristol has better units available.

ReputationRep:
    tbh an employer wouldn't really care much which one you went too out of those three - although Bath does have the placement year which probably puts you at a slight advantage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.