Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    That's still deliberately provoking us and laughing at us that they know and we don't his name. His real name's the password to get in the grave, oh dear, lucky that plot device was spoken off screen and out of the audio. How long do you reckon they're still going to go on about the fact that they know his name but us?
    They never will, the only name that could possibly shock people is if The Doctor turned out to be The Master, and that doesn't make any sense. Any other name would leave people disappointed at how pointless learning his name was, it makes no sense to ever reveal his name. Anyway the episode never promised his real name, it lead you to believe it would but the title is still apt since Matt Smith's Doctor comments that John Hurt's version shunned his name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Batman)
    That is definitely Tennant's Doctor in the background, the scene is from the Forest of the Dead.
    How do you know so much about doctor who?! I've seen all the episodes since it started in 05 and I've learnt more about the story from your last few comments than I have watching all the episodes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was obvious that they weren't going to reveal his name even from when they said the title of the episode - it would be a massive anti-climax for a start.
    But that John Hurt bit at the end was brilliant - and would have been a total shock if it hadn't been for the fantastic, informative reporting of a certain tabloid (*cough* the mirror *cough*). WHY NOVEMBER 23RD???????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Question - Shortly after the Great Intelligence demanded The Doctor's name, he said something and as soon as he said that, the TARDIS opened, I know he didn't say his name but I didn't catch what he said (even though River said his name off screen).
    It sounded like Reese? Or perhaps RElease?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Everyone's going on about John Hurt being the 9th Doctor but I'm really not that bothered about that reveal :sad:

I'm more intrigued by the mention of the Valeyard... I'm not entirely sure why :erm:
    Me too :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    It sounded like Reese? Or perhaps RElease?
    "Please"

ReputationRep:
    As soon as I heard that something about this episode had been spoiled, I avoided the internet and any entertainment type news source like the plague.

Thank God I did, because the John Hurt reveal was EPIC and a complete surprise to me.

From a brilliant opener to a brilliant cliffhanger. What an episode.

Now begins the waiting game...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D4rth)
    How do you know so much about doctor who?! I've seen all the episodes since it started in 05 and I've learnt more about the story from your last few comments than I have watching all the episodes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I don't know how to answer that really. I've been watching the show since 'Tooth and Claw' in series 2 and I've just payed really close attention to what was happening plus the fact that I get a lot of information from the 'Gallifrey Base' website (I recommend signing up).
    OR maybe, just maybe...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm a Timelord :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza)
    As soon as I heard that something about this episode had been spoiled, I avoided the internet and any entertainment type news source like the plague.

Thank God I did, because the John Hurt reveal was EPIC and a complete surprise to me.

From a brilliant opener to a brilliant cliffhanger. What an episode.

Now begins the waiting game...
    I'm going to suffer waiting!!!I'm such an impatient person so this going to kill me!
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    I missed the mention of the Valeyard that yous have all been talking about, so have went back to watch the episode (also read up on the Valeyard's backstory, so I'm excited now, too. I very much doubt that he'll be appearing, however - seemed more like a throwback reference, considering he's a future "incarnation")

I really do love Strax...

"It's his 'weekend off'"
    "Augh...I wish he'd never discovered that place..."
    *cuts to Glasgow* SONTAR-HA. SONTAR-HA.
    "COME HERE WHILE A KILL YE YA FILTHY WEE MIDDEN."

"This base is surrounded! Lay down your weapons and your deaths will be merciful! This planet is now property of the Sontaran empire! Surrender your women, and intellectuals!"

"Madam, boys - combat formations. They are unarmed!"
    "So are we!!"
    "Do not divulge our military secrets!"

"It's beautiful..."
    "Should I destroy it!?"

Absolutely loved all the references, too. The blood on the Doctor's hands scene; soufflé girl; rycbar...

Found the exact Valeyard mention from the Great Intelligence:

It was a minor skirmish by the Doctor's blood-soaked standard; not exactly the Time War, but still enough to finish him. In the end, it was too much for the old man ... tell that to the leader of the Sycorax, or Solomon the trader, or the Cybermen or the Daleks. The Doctor lives his life in darker hues, day upon day, and he will have other names before the end: the Storm, the Beast, the Valeyard.
    Also The Whispermen's rhymes are creepily brilliant - I just think the scriptwriting for this episode is really, really great!

ReputationRep:
    Finale was amazing just want the 50th to hurry up now!

This is one of my favourite moments in series 7. Gets me everytime.

ReputationRep:
    I've enjoyed Series 7 as a whole and part B especially, Series 6 IMO was all awful and only having 6 episodes in the whole of 2012 wasn't helping, don't think Moffat was doing things right at all.

The finale was great though! Mainly just because of that pre credits sequence haha, brilliant.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    And just re-watched the final scene there: I don't think the Hurt Doctor revealed his name - I agree with the interpretation that the Hurt Doctor did harm (hence breaking the promise of the Doctor; primum non nocere) - perhaps he's the one who ended the Time War (I'm hoping this; I'd love to hear more about what went down), perhaps it's something else we haven't heard of yet.

"He is my secret." - implies that it was something done in the Doctor's past, they also made a big deal of Eleven being the 11th Doctor in the dialogue, I think this gives the speculation about the Hurt Doctor's identity some weight.
    "What I did, I did without choice [this is how Nine and Ten justified the bispecial genocide] ... In the name of peace, and sanity [this one doesn't fit the Time War for me. It doesn't seem like the event was about bringing peace - what was there left to bring peace to when both sides perished? However, I can see how it can be interpreted as applying to the Time War - bringing peace to the rest of the universe, who no longer had to face certain destruction]."
    "But not in the name of the Doctor." - hence justifying Nine, Ten and Eleven feeling they are those respective numbers; the actions were so atrocious that he couldn't even be called the Doctor - he wasn't the Doctor. Not in their eyes.

ReputationRep:
    For me, most of Series 6 and most of Series 7 I found quite bad. However, after "The Crimson Horror" I actually started to like it again, I don't know why.

Anyway, I thought the finale was incredible, and by the end I was actually really excited about the Anniversary special (as beforehand I was thinking of ways that Moffat could ruin David Tennant's Doctor for me).

I was surprised that Moffat didn't provide an anti-climax to the arch including the question and Trenzalore stuff, which I'm happy about, and the explanation and reasoning behind it was coherent and simple enough to get, while still leaving the audience to think about what happened etc.

I think I saw, in the huge TARDIS tomb, the crack in the window (that the Doctor caused early in the episode). Surely this means that for every other episode of Doctor Who in the future the TARDIS has to have a crack in the window?

ReputationRep:
    Those things look like slenderman
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    But that John Hurt bit at the end was brilliant - and would have been a total shock if it hadn't been for the fantastic, informative reporting of a certain tabloid (*cough* the mirror *cough*). WHY NOVEMBER 23RD???????
    I successfully avoided any Hurt spoilers so was very happily surprised.

November 23rd because that's the 50th anniversary for Doctor Who!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I successfully avoided any Hurt spoilers so was very happily surprised.

November 23rd because that's the 50th anniversary for Doctor Who!
    I had the misfortune of hearing about that weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    That definitely was the worst episode ever, bar none.
    I think Fear Her came pretty close.

ReputationRep:
    I love River Song, she is amazing and I don't get the hate.

Really good episode but I am confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D4rth)
    They probably don't even know his name, it will never be revealed and if a writer tries to create one it will ruin the show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But they deliberately hint towards it when they can do something that's not bull****, like last series was 'oh no the Doctor's going to die, jk he doesn't', this series was 'oh no! His name's going to be revealed, jk it isn't really'. I mean for **** sake, Moffat, do something new instead of hint at something that isn't going to happen.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.