Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Remember, you can never fit everything in. As long as you have some examples of being able to reflect on what you've seen then that's fine - you will have had loads of great reflections which you could include and they won't be expecting to see that you've noted this and that key point about education, just that you've noticed SOMETHING
    Yeah you're right. To be honest I think I'm starting to over think it. These 47 lines have been harder to write than my dissertation!

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if anyone could help me. Im thinking im going to put down nottingham university primary scitt as one of my choices. Basically you apply and have an interview at one of the schools that are part of their scheme. In my region there are 6 schools to try but im just wondering how many places they have at each school? As if its only like 2 each then i may be best applying for a normal pgce course as there is more places. It doesn't make sense to me as the entry requirements are less than their normal pgce route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    2 days and my personal statement is still miles longer than it should be, and there's way more I could put in! Anyone else having a hard time prioritising?
    hey i had the exact same problem and i felt like everything is relevant so what the heck am i supposed to take out. try getting your career advisor, friends, mum, anyone to read it. they will be able to tell you what bits are worth keeping etc then you have to just be SUPER strict with it.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy1234567)
    Wondering if anyone could help me. Im thinking im going to put down nottingham university primary scitt as one of my choices. Basically you apply and have an interview at one of the schools that are part of their scheme. In my region there are 6 schools to try but im just wondering how many places they have at each school? As if its only like 2 each then i may be best applying for a normal pgce course as there is more places. It doesn't make sense to me as the entry requirements are less than their normal pgce route.
    I think you can use the 'Key Stage Placements' column to figure it out - so if it's KS1 and KS2 you know there are two, one in each.

Of course it's possible they may have more than one in one key stage but I think it's pretty unlikely a school will take on more than 3 trainees in one year, as they obviously still need to ensure they have the full set of skills, understanding, good practice needed to ensure what's best for their children. Also they need the staff to tutor the trainees!

There are more places on the PGCE. The SCITT probably has lower general entry requirements because they are looking for something much more specific in their candidates. My uni said people who were unsure might choose to apply to a PGCE and also a SCITT option through them. They said in this case, they might have an interview with the school and the school says 'They aren't right for SCITT with us, but they would be good on the PGCE'.

If SCITT is the option that you feel would suit you more, and there is a school which you feel you could work well in, I would still put it down, at least as one of your options and give it a go. You don't want to be in a training route that isn't right for you!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Quick question - personal statement is 47 lines including spaces. Are you guys going to put spaces in your actual UCAS form or are you going to indent to save room?

ReputationRep:
    thanks kpwxx

I thought it would only be a couple. I have just looked on the schools website that is closest to me (that is part of their scitt) and on the staff page it lists 2 as trainee teachers so i think that answers my question. Don't know if its worth applying though with the chances so slim. Then again i only have one firm choice at the moment and thats just based on that its close to me. Any other uni would mean me having to move which at the moment isn't a viable option.

Just a thought though, if i emailed a uni asking how many places they have on their primary pgce course would they tell me? Or is there a page somewhere which tells you how many places each uni has? I think they should have to put it on their website. I know Manchester uni has, aswell as how many people they had apply last year.

ReputationRep:
    Having the same problem with my personal statement in that it is just coming in a bit too long and I've already cut loads from it. I'm going to ask one of the English teachers in the school I work in to check it out and get their opinion on it.

I'm still unsure of my choices so far. I'm from N.Ireland but looking at PGCEs in England and currently it's a toss up between Liverpool Hope, Manchester Met, Worcester, Nottingham and Durham. Does anyone know if any of those 5 have a better reputation? I've heard people speaking positive things about Hope as well as Worcester but unsure about the others.

ReputationRep:
    Help!!

My personal statement is currently at 50 lines...I have a 3 line conclusion - I want to cut this to a line but I'm finding it so difficult saying what I want to in only a sentence. How long is everyone's conclusion? Or are you even doing a conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be the opposite of everyone else. I have 43 lines and 3877 words. I don't know if I should be worried?

Its a redux of my ps last year, updated a bit and revised. It got me a few interviews, Im only applying for one course that I also went for last year. This shouldnt be a problem, right?

Nearly 1 day to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Descartes93)
    Help!!

My personal statement is currently at 50 lines...I have a 3 line conclusion - I want to cut this to a line but I'm finding it so difficult saying what I want to in only a sentence. How long is everyone's conclusion? Or are you even doing a conclusion?
    Mines 4 lines. I thought I needed a conclusion just to round it off. I've already cut 2 lines from it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starryeyedkid)
    Having the same problem with my personal statement in that it is just coming in a bit too long and I've already cut loads from it. I'm going to ask one of the English teachers in the school I work in to check it out and get their opinion on it.

I'm still unsure of my choices so far. I'm from N.Ireland but looking at PGCEs in England and currently it's a toss up between Liverpool Hope, Manchester Met, Worcester, Nottingham and Durham. Does anyone know if any of those 5 have a better reputation? I've heard people speaking positive things about Hope as well as Worcester but unsure about the others.
    I know somebody who went to Hope and know he wouldn't recommend it. I was also offered an interview there last year and their organisation seemed pretty shoddy regarding receiving information and responding to emails so it also left a negative impression upon me. But if you're just wanting to get in somewhere i think it does have alot of places. Beware though it's not like a uni. Just by looking at it, i think it looks more like a college.

Nottingham should be good though i think it rated one of the best in the UK. Not sure about Worcester though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy1234567)
    thanks kpwxx

I thought it would only be a couple. I have just looked on the schools website that is closest to me (that is part of their scitt) and on the staff page it lists 2 as trainee teachers so i think that answers my question. Don't know if its worth applying though with the chances so slim. Then again i only have one firm choice at the moment and thats just based on that its close to me. Any other uni would mean me having to move which at the moment isn't a viable option.

Just a thought though, if i emailed a uni asking how many places they have on their primary pgce course would they tell me? Or is there a page somewhere which tells you how many places each uni has? I think they should have to put it on their website. I know Manchester uni has, aswell as how many people they had apply last year.
    It's always worth a shot, unless you have lots of other options as well! Think positive and try (you have to in teaching!).

I think they would probably at least tell you last years stats - perhaps the applicants, the interviewees and the places. But I'm not sure that they know yet how many places they will be allocated this year? It has gone down for most unis as Gove is trying to push out uni-based training.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starryeyedkid)

My friend Tom went to Nottingham to do Secondary Maths. He seemed to really enjoy it.

(Original post by TomLeigh)
    Hopefully he will see this!

xxx
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by neonlj)
    I seem to be the opposite of everyone else. I have 43 lines and 3877 words. I don't know if I should be worried?

Its a redux of my ps last year, updated a bit and revised. It got me a few interviews, Im only applying for one course that I also went for last year. This shouldnt be a problem, right?

Nearly 1 day to go!
    I'm in a similar position, seeing everyone saying how hard it is to cut down makes me wonder if I have missed things out. But looking at it, I've made a number of points, mentioned my experience and what I've learned from it, why I want to be a teacher, extra curriculars (briefly) etc. So I think perhaps I've just written everything very concisely. I sent a copy to my careers department and got largely positive responses (although they don't seem the most competent organisation in the world).

ReputationRep:
    Ack, nerves setting in.

I'm getting a bit confused. I'm starting to wonder if I really do want to teach R.E as much as I keep telling myself. I guess when it comes down to it, any doubts I have will probably show in my application so whatever happens, happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feartheunknown)
    Cool! Yeah I guess that bit is a bit difficult, however, I guess it takes a similar stance to the personal statement you used for your undergraduate personal statement. Are you applying for secondary or primary? Where are you thinking of applying? I'm thinking of the IoE for secondary.

That's where I did mine. Post comp admittedly. Quality of teaching is very variable...looks good on a cv though. Probably the best college in the country for teacher training.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. Applying for Secondary English, first choice currently Nottingham, perhaps Leicester and Reading then. Only universities I can really think of across roughly the same level in the midlands. Personal statement is strong, I think, but just a bit/very long! As I have no previous classroom experience, just a ten week placement starting in January, I can't really cut out any of the current 'other exp relating to teaching' sections. Hmm.

When are people booking their skills tests for? I've been thinking about doing mine asap... but after having struggled slightly with the numeracy mocks online think I'll need a little more revision time. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    That's where I did mine. Post comp admittedly. Quality of teaching is very variable...looks good on a cv though. Probably the best college in the country for teacher training.
    Ah you did post comp? I've seen very few people on here who did it. How did you find it? Have you got a job since?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Mines 4 lines. I thought I needed a conclusion just to round it off. I've already cut 2 lines from it though.
    That's exactly my reasoning for a conclusion...it's just that now I'm over, I'm looking for the less important bits to cut out and that seems to be screaming at me! Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Its tomorrow guys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.