Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Just apply to the college you like the look of the most. Your chances of getting into the university don't change depending on what college you apply to, but if you don't apply to a certain college then your chances of getting in there are reduced significantly.

There are no minimum AS levels you need as AS grades aren't considered holistically when deciding who to invite to interview. For PPE you're better off focusing your attention on the TSA as that will be a very important part of the application
    So in shortlisting is TSA most important followed by GCSE?

If you could put a figure on how important the TSA is relative to other aspects of the application what would you guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iBall)
    So in shortlisting is TSA most important followed by GCSE?

If you could put a figure on how important the TSA is relative to other aspects of the application what would you guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty much yes. Obviously you need to have good GCSEs also, a great TSA score wouldn't outweigh all Cs at GCSE.

I would say - TSA, GCSEs, Personal Statement, A2 predictions, AS grades. But then within that - your A2 predictions and AS grades need to show you're capable of meeting the AAA offer, they're just not used any further in the decision to invite to interview. After the interview then that becomes the most important factor

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE[So I'm looking to apply for PPE at University College (I think), and I've been advised by other prospective students to apply strategically (applying to a college where generally less people apply to etc), is this a good idea? Or is strategy in the admissions process a total myth?[/QUOTE]

Myth, especially for a joint subject where the tutors have to agree on you and subjects where they look at applications across the university (eg, history). Pick what looks good to you, knowing that in any given year as many as 30% of applicants end up pooled to a different college than they applied to, and all colleges have to take a certain number of "open" applications. .

ReputationRep:
    Im such a rookie at this stuff, do we use the same personal statement for application to Oxford as we would to our other unis we are applying to? I only say this as I would be studying Law at Oxford but a politics related course at the others I am applying to and I would like to express a sole interest in Law in my Oxford application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Im such a rookie at this stuff, do we use the same personal statement for application to Oxford as we would to our other unis we are applying to? I only say this as I would be studying Law at Oxford but a politics related course at the others I am applying to and I would like to express a sole interest in Law in my Oxford application.
    Same personal statement to all unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of reading EP or PPL at Oxford; can anyone advise with least AS grades required and score on TSA? Also, I have read books and have an internship in the same field as the course. Will this strengthen my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys have you started writing your personal statement??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxSarah)
    Hey guys have you started writing your personal statement??
    Just an extremely rough copy. Have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    Just an extremely rough copy. Have you?
    I'm still brainstorming Hope to have it ready for the first days of September!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still brainstorming Hope to have it ready for the first days of September!
    Same here, the sooner the better!

Which course are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Same here, the sooner the better!

Which course are you applying to?
    Medicine And you?
    PS: I've just found out that you are italian as me :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Medicine And you?
    PS: I've just found out that you are italian as me :daydreaming:
    PPE Which colleges are you considering?

Really?! It's always great to meet italians who want to follow the dream

ReputationRep:
    PPE Which colleges are you considering?

Really?! It's always great to meet italians who want to follow the dream
    I'm still not sure but I suppose I'm going for Corpus Christi,Christ Church or Magdalen!What about you?

Yeah it's great!We can support each other through this amazing/heavy journey

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure but I suppose I'm going for Corpus Christi,Christ Church or Magdalen!What about you?

Yeah it's great!We can support each other through this amazing/heavy journey
    Balliol, BNC or Corpus Christi are my top 3 at the moment, although I change my mind almost every day

Absolutely! PM me if you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.safar4)
    I'm thinking of reading EP or PPL at Oxford; can anyone advise with least AS grades required and score on TSA? Also, I have read books and have an internship in the same field as the course. Will this strengthen my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, I'm applying for EP too :-) There is no 'minimum' in terms of AS grades, however you should probably have grades that indicate you'd be able to make the offer of A*AA when it comes to your Year 13 exams. I believe it's also important to have AS grades that match your predicted grades (i.e. not having CCCC at AS and then being predicted A*A*A for A2) For TSA, there is no specific score, but in 2012 one of the colleges said that for PPE their minimum to interview was around 61. Hope this helps! Out of curiosity, what internship have you done and what books did you read?

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's 9A*'s 3A's
    A levels maths economics physics and further maths (all predicted a's at AS then A* at A2) + EPQ - Expecting UMS in the high 90's should I get that put into my reference or PS
    Subject applying for: Maths
    Are my chances good?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone looking to apply for maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Anyone looking to apply for maths?
    Literally the post above yours is a person applying for Maths... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johndear)
    GCSE's 9A*'s 3A's
    A levels maths economics physics and further maths (all predicted a's at AS then A* at A2) + EPQ - Expecting UMS in the high 90's should I get that put into my reference or PS
    Subject applying for: Maths
    Are my chances good?
    UMS isn't important - put it in by all means in the reference but it probably wouldn't do much.

Your GCSEs are good, so your chances would depend on your MAT score.

ReputationRep:
    If I get AAA in maths, further, physics I'll apply here for MSc Physics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.