Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospect10)
    That's nice , well ������
    I believe that you have good planning , as you know every study should lead to outcome , so what's your opportunities in UK or worldwide ?
    Do you want to study further for MA and do you want to teach in schools or as an employee in one of Embassies ? Or foreigner ministry ?

As I knew , Nottingham university is good as "scientific university " but what's lured you to chose it over let's say Durham , because Durham is very perfect for your career/ study choice as I knew !? Or I'm I wrong , i mean also there are top universities for Your study even in the top 10 universities in UK .
    No one has to have a plan for what they'll do afterwards; not many people even do. I might do an MA, I'm not sure yet I'm definitely going to apply for two come September. I don't want to teach or be a diplomat though.

I didn't look at Durham, Nottingham was the furthest university away that I looked at. Just because a university is higher in league tables doesn't mean it will be better for someone. Additionally league tables are incredibly subjective. Oxford does History and Politics but I hate the Oxbridge ethos and the way they teach, it's incredibly pressurised at the expense of undergraduates in my opinion. League tables are not everything. Getting the right grade is and I wanted to be in an environment that I wanted to be in not just because it's a good university. As I explained, I got a wow factor from Nottingham. It was actually the best university I looked at too.

Nottingham is a fantastic university generally, not for just sciences, for example its something like 34th in the world for Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EMassey)
    No one has to have a plan for what they'll do afterwards; not many people even do. I might do an MA, I'm not sure yet I'm definitely going to apply for two come September. I don't want to teach or be a diplomat though.

I didn't look at Durham, Nottingham was the furthest university away that I looked at. Just because a university is higher in league tables doesn't mean it will be better for someone. Additionally league tables are incredibly subjective. Oxford does History and Politics but I hate the Oxbridge ethos and the way they teach, it's incredibly pressurised at the expense of undergraduates in my opinion. League tables are not everything. Getting the right grade is and I wanted to be in an environment that I wanted to be in not just because it's a good university. As I explained, I got a wow factor from Nottingham. It was actually the best university I looked at too.

Nottingham is a fantastic university generally, not for just sciences, for example its something like 34th in the world for Law.
    As you like , so you are not planning to see future jobs in your career , I'm saying that because many students have studied "unwanted" subjects " in the market " and then they ended up changing their career , even for unskilled jobs !
    In my opinion , job prospects do have a weight while choosing any subject , it's not every thing though .
    I should choose a subject that leads to a career that I can do , not only something I liked it !

You are right about league table as it's not representing everything .

From my point , I think it's very progressive that anyone could afford studying in UK !
    In my opinion , UK is USA of Europe or the only English speaking country , I liked. It for many things , but there are many things needs enhancing , for example BSc or BA should be free or
    Close to free with only annual admission that should be paid like 200£ per year , while further education should be much cheaper like 1,000 £ and not exceeding 5,000 £ per year for UK citizens .
    Government can do it if they managed better in my opinion like other European countries , ( like Germany , Belgium ,, etc )
    accommodation payment , high living costs ,, changing the city of students to travel or to live in another city ,,, etc are much enough for students !

ReputationRep:
    Ucl history or nottingham history and French?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gfg7)
    Ucl history or nottingham history and French?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which course do you prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Applied to do Genetics and got a conditional offer

Really really like the uni and campus and my dad did his pHD there so he rates it highly!

Hoping the rest of the year goes well grades wise, not too much longer to go so fingers crossed!

Thinking of making nottingham my insurance choice but I'm not too sure yet!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Does anyone know when's the first day of Fresher's week for 2015 entry? Like when should we arrive at the school?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annamatcha)
    Hi! Does anyone know when's the first day of Fresher's week for 2015 entry? Like when should we arrive at the school?

Thanks!
    I'd also like to add to this question!
    Do we move all of our things in on the first day of fresher's or do we move in beforehand during August

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajv)
    Do we move all of our things in on the first day of fresher's or do we move in beforehand during August

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You would normally move all your things on the first day of freshers week, maybe even a day before at some universities.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got Raleigh Park accommodation for 2015/16?

ReputationRep:
    Have Nottingham lecturers called any of you?

I've applied for Politics and he called me yesterday. We had a decent conversation going and he said not to worry too much about the offer because they will be lenient if I miss my grade by a little.

I don't know whether this is a good sign or just standard procedure? Because if that's the case, I would be reconsidering firming Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajv)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I moved in the day before fresher week starts. So I moved in on the 21st of September last year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing German or in Lincoln Hall?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for accomodation 3 weeks ago but my application has still not been processed. ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shouldBstudying)
    I applied for accomodation 3 weeks ago but my application has still not been processed. ???
    Same and I applied on the 2nd of March.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyC96)
    Same and I applied on the 2nd of March.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My accommodation application only took about a week to process and I got my first choice . Maybe international students have priority?

I think its worth emailing them about the delay. It really shouldn't have taken longer than two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I got offered place at Nottingham for Law and got placed in Rutland hall! Anyone else there? I can't seem to find a facebook page for this specific hall which is annoying.

Also, has everyone here got an official offer letter? I don't remember getting one and I was wondering whether anyone else has the same issue with me, especially since it apparently has your future student ID number on which you need in order to pay for accommodation etc. before you go... Can I just request they send me another one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanisa97)
    My accommodation application only took about a week to process and I got my first choice . Maybe international students have priority?

I think its worth emailing them about the delay. It really shouldn't have taken longer than two weeks.
    I've rung nottingham and St. Peter's court 4 times now and they just say there was a delay and I should get it soon?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just got offered accommodation at Nightingale hall and I only sent my request in 5 days ago. Does anyone know if nightingale is good?

ReputationRep:
    Got my offer for Ancaster today Not my most preferred room type. I got a private shared bathroom which was on the bottom of my preference list (asked for a ensuite first..). Does anyone know how long this corridor is? Is it unreasonable to be able to shower and quickly run to your room or will the bathroom be like.. 500 meters from my room at hte end of the floor?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shouldBstudying)
    Got my offer for Ancaster today Not my most preferred room type. I got a private shared bathroom which was on the bottom of my preference list (asked for a ensuite first..). Does anyone know how long this corridor is? Is it unreasonable to be able to shower and quickly run to your room or will the bathroom be like.. 500 meters from my room at hte end of the floor?
    I have exactly the same room type and hall - we might be hall mates!! Don't know the answer to your question, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.