Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1llward)
    A*A*AA standard offer for Engineering (and A* doesnt have to be in FM which is nice)
    Then I would say put imperial

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone says Cambridge has 8 week terms. But then im also seeing pages where it says 27 week years or 30 week years. Since there are 3 terms, surely 8 week terms means there would be 24 weeks in the academic year.

To current students, how many weeks do you live in cambridge for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    Everyone says Cambridge has 8 week terms. But then im also seeing pages where it says 27 week years or 30 week years. Since there are 3 terms, surely 8 week terms means there would be 24 weeks in the academic year.

To current students, how many weeks do you live in cambridge for?
    Isn't there 1 week before and 1 week after full term? So if you add 1 of those weeks per term it would be 27 weeks per year and if you add both it would be 30. Full term is 8 weeks which gives 24.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umutalberts)
    Isn't there 1 week before and 1 week after full term? So if you add 1 of those weeks per term it would be 27 weeks per year and if you add both it would be 30. Full term is 8 weeks which gives 24.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what happens in those 2 weeks (before & after). Are we supposed to be living in Cambridge during those times. Do we have lectures+ supervisions?

ReputationRep:
    So what happens in those 2 weeks (before & after). Are we supposed to be living in Cambridge during those times. Do we have lectures+ supervisions?
    As far as I know there are no lectures but you might have supervisions planned (you decide that with your supervisor). You don't actually have to stay in Cambridge unless you have gained too many exemptions so you have to make up for them or something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Normally you'll arrive on a Saturday have no lectures till Thursday then the eight weeks then leave on a Saturday. The term is 8 weeks of lectures but 9 pf residence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exciting stuff :eek:

March will be the month of student finance :afraid:

April will be deciding on insurance.

May I shall make my decisions

And then exams exams exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Normally you'll arrive on a Saturday have no lectures till Thursday then the eight weeks then leave on a Saturday. The term is 8 weeks of lectures but 9 pf residence

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So do you pay for 27 weeks of accommodation or 30?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Mini-Me)
    You pay per Term. In 2013/14 that was 3 x 68 days = 29 weeks and 1 day... simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Me)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    there are long tenancy and short tenancy contracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So we pay for 27 weeks of accomodation>?

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you ever think what the **** am I doing?

I still have no idea how I got in and am so scared about not meeting the offer.

Someone posted this

http://www.theguardian.com/education...ns-really-work

in a different thread and I just read through it. The thought of them sitting in a room and properly contemplating me kind of freaks me out and makes me feel a bit stressed.. like now I have to live up to that. Perhaps this doesn't make sense, I'm not sure .

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ILovePancakes;53867451]Do any of you ever think what the **** am I doing?

Someone posted this

in a different thread and I just read through it. The thought of them sitting in a room and properly contemplating me kind of freaks me out and makes me feel a bit stressed.. like now I have to live up to that. Perhaps this doesn't make sense, I'm not sure .[

You're not alone in thinking that, don't worry. I'm still haven't got a clue how I got in either and we've still got to get the grades

I look at the admissions process in another way - the fact that they spend much more time per candidate makes a correct decision on your application more likely and means they care much more about you than with other unis.

But yeah now that they think we're good enough, we have to show them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardude8)
    You're not alone in thinking that, don't worry. I'm still haven't got a clue how I got in either and we've still got to get the grades

I look at the admissions process in another way - the fact that they spend much more time per candidate makes a correct decision on your application more likely and means they care much more about you than with other unis.

But yeah now that they think we're good enough, we have to show them
    Yes, I suppose so and my situation is weird in that Cambridge (and Durham) was the university that made life easiest for me. The fact that they obviously do care and we made it through the stressful admissions process can say a lot about us too? It's just proper scary **** :hide: and those crazy offers :cry2:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)

Someone posted this

in a different thread and I just read through it. The thought of them sitting in a room and properly contemplating me kind of freaks me out and makes me feel a bit stressed.. like now I have to live up to that. Perhaps this doesn't make sense, I'm not sure .
    Ah I remember that article. It's even worse for me reading it, because it's my college of choice so some of the mentioned people may have assessed me at some point discussing and dissecting my qualities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Ah I remember that article. It's even worse for me reading it, because it's my college of choice so some of the mentioned people may have assessed me at some point discussing and dissecting my qualities.
    Then you read some of the comments made in the article and it freaks you even more.. At least they liked us :thumbs:.

I was shocked about them making fun of some poor kid's hair though :erm:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)

Someone posted this

Hey, I feel exactly the same. Like, now everyone's expecting to get in but what if I don't?! Guess we can only try our best, good luck though I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayKaur)
    Hey, I feel exactly the same. Like, now everyone's expecting to get in but what if I don't?! Guess we can only try our best, good luck though I'm sure you'll be fine
    Dreading results day already :hide:..

Yeah I know, our best is all we can do .

Thanks and good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    got rejected pre-interview by UCL for medicine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    got rejected pre-interview by UCL for medicine!

I'm sorry and actually quite surprised to hear that. Was it ever your top/second choice? I'm guessing Cambridge is your top choice, right?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.