Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any one heard, or know anyone who has, from engineering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    Yes! Students are currently campaigning against accommodation fees which are going to be £7058 next year (£243/week)
    Where can I find these details?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    Oxford and Cambridge are equally as beautiful (and catered) but are about 1-2k less than Durham. Sucks for people from low income backgrounds who won't be able to afford it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If your household income is below £25k, they knock £2k off accommodation.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/...olarships/dgs/

(£2k is the figure for 2015/16; the year before that it was £2.5k and before that £3k. So it's possible that it could be less than £2k actually. There isn't any info for 2016/17 up yet.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel x)
    If your household income is below £25k, they knock £2k off accommodation.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/...olarships/dgs/

(£2k is the figure for 2015/16; the year before that it was £2.5k and before that £3k. So it's possible that it could be less than £2k actually. There isn't any info for 2016/17 up yet.)
    I would be eligible for that, but it's disappointing to see it go down each year while prices go up.

Has anyone applied to UCL also? Because out of my 4 offers Durham and UCL are the best, but I can't choose between them. What attracts people to Durham particularly?

Because the prices at Durham are getting closer and closer to London prices, and over there they do have some generous bursaries/scholarships available. But Durham I felt has a nicer atmosphere and experience, collegiate etc. London is more internationally recognised but a bit hustle and bustle, doesn't score as well on experience.

I have promised to make a thread on this closer to decision time (have until April/May!), but just wondering your thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj1)
    I would be eligible for that, but it's disappointing to see it go down each year while prices go up.

Has anyone applied to UCL also? Because out of my 4 offers Durham and UCL are the best, but I can't choose between them. What attracts people to Durham particularly?

Because the prices at Durham are getting closer and closer to London prices, and over there they do have some generous bursaries/scholarships available. But Durham I felt has a nicer atmosphere and experience, collegiate etc. London is more internationally recognised but a bit hustle and bustle, doesn't score as well on experience.

I have promised to make a thread on this closer to decision time (have until April/May!), but just wondering your thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've also applied to UCL! What course are you going to be doing? I'm doing anthropology, and for Durham I applied to Collingwood college.

Prior to my discovery that Durham doesn't offer a particular module that I want to do, whereas it's a core first year one at UCL, it was pretty toss up for me. I'm now most likely to firm UCL, but I'm waiting til after I attend post-offer visit days, just to be sure - especially as I haven't actually visited UCL itself yet. I'm also waiting on a decision from Bristol still (annoying, as they were my fifth choice and I never planned to accept an offer from them - and yet they've taken over a month longer than anyone else. Still, it's better than waiting on a decision from a uni I want to go to).

I think the pros on the Durham side (for me) were the nice atmosphere, the collegiate system/community feel, I liked the department building and the library, and obviously it's quite a bit quieter than London! But for me also, the two are very very close, especially as for me the idea of living in London is attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spoderman14)
    I guess when you're living in accommodation that's both listed and catered and in a beautiful place at one of the top unis in the country, you can see why it's so expensive. Honestly, I think it'll be worth it.
    I live in this accommodation and I don't think it's worth it. I don't think any accommodation I've seen so far has been worth 7 grand a year, actually. It really annoys me because even if it was worth it, it entirely excludes people from poorer backgrounds who can't afford the rent but deserve to be at Durham.

(Original post by longsightdon)
    Where can I find these details?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/...olleges/costs/

ReputationRep:
    I havent got spectacular GCSE's...but have done great in A-levels for sport....A*AA and currently predicted to get A* in Access to HE Sport

ReputationRep:
    I applied for History and French at St.Chads

GCSES- 5 A* 5 A
    AS- 4 A
    Predicted- 1 A* 2 A

Anyone got any offers for History and French yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellaforster)
    I applied for History and French at St.Chads

GCSES- 5 A* 5 A
    AS- 4 A
    Predicted- 1 A* 2 A

Anyone got any offers for History and French yet?
    I'm St Chad's too, for Classics, and still waiting for decisions

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else applied for English at Hatfield?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziggyystardust)
    Has anyone else applied for English at Hatfield?
    I have! Well English and philosophy although I'm not very optimistic about receiving an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jill800)
    I have! Well English and philosophy although I'm not very optimistic about receiving an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same, especially after being rejected by Oxford... I'm trying not to think about it too much
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziggyystardust)
    Same, especially after being rejected by Oxford... I'm trying not to think about it too much
    Best of luck!
    Oh I'm sorry to hear that but if you were able to apply to Oxford in the first place then I'm sure you have more of a chance at Durham, even for English!
    I'm definitely with you on not overthinking it- thank you and best of luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    when do Durham decide about Lit offers? my friend had an email saying they did not offer/reject till march.

is that true? Really????:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thornicroft)
    when do Durham decide about Lit offers? my friend had an email saying they did not offer/reject till march.

is that true? Really????:confused:
    A few people (about two or three) in this thread have had an offer for English literature recently so I think it depends on when you applied if they're doing it systematically and also your stats

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phthalogreen)
    I'm in the same place, applied for English and History, rejected by Oxford and really hoping for Durham now!
    I've applied for English and History too - the wait is excruciating!!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody heard anything from Durham about economics? Sent my ucas off early November and still heard nothing

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I got an offer for law 2 days ago so it shouldn't be long before you get a response! i haven't had an email from Durham yet though, it just says on my UCAS that i got an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amybonnie98)
    I haven't either! Feel like we are few in numbers however!
    Me neither, but then again I live in Cambridge, so that was never going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comandolf)
    Me neither, but then again I live in Cambridge, so that was never going to happen.
    I live in Oxford!! So I wasn't going to apply to there either aha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.