Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychemma)
    Thanks! Could you possibly briefly explain how the theory is supported by seismic events? I feel like I could only write a couple of sentences about that
    Hm that is actually a hard one for just seismic and not volcanic as well :/
    Probably mention how much major earthquakes happen on the pacific ring of fire - supporting idea that plates are constantly diverging and converging - as earthquakes can happen on all plate boundaries the interactions can lead to seismic events
    Maybe mention the evidence that supports the idea that the lithosphere is broken apart and so can achieve seismic events
    I think you just need to use examples really
    I'm actually not even sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duncant)
    wow, thats a really solid plan. How do you go about coming up with a plan for 40 markers like this? I have the knowledge but always struggle with the plan!
    Well I came up with this on the spot so idk really
    Maybe as your doing your 25 markers keep thinking about the 40 marker and keep going back to it to add ideas before you write it.
    I'm not sure if I will plan my 40 marker as I feel it wastes time

ReputationRep:
    Has anything on the causes of earthquakes and the primary + secondary effects ever come up for the structured questions?

ReputationRep:
    How would you answer a question on suburbanisation, other than the definition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly_geog)
    How would you answer a question on suburbanisation, other than the definition?

use a case study or a suburbainsed village

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyspider)
    I have a very reliable source within AQA who has strongly suggested that candidates should prepare essays on:

Tectonics: Intrusive and extrusive landforms
    Weather and Climate: The origin and characteristics of anticyclones
    Ecosystems: Temperate deciduous woodland characteristics and reasons for existence
    World Cities: Retailing and regeneration internationally
    Development and Globalisation: Trade groupings pros and cons
    Contemporary Conflicts and Challenges: How to control immigration and the issues it brings

Obviously, these MAY NOT come up, but it is likely they will.

Best of luck.
    For the ecosystems one what do you mean by 'reasons for existence'? Thanks for this and good luck to you too!!

ReputationRep:
    How are you guys timing your paper? Like how long are you designating for the 7, 8, 10, and 40 markers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndoBando)
    How are you guys timing your paper? Like how long are you designating for the 7, 8, 10, and 40 markers?
    calculated through 1.5x the number of marks
    so 7 = 10 mins
    8 = 10/11 mins
    10= 15 mins
    40 = 1 hour

This leaves you around 15 mins to plan/read/improve answers

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have any good facts on service industry development in India? Pref Social, Economic and environ

ReputationRep:
    DOES ANYONE PLEASE HAVE ANY EXAMPLE ANSWERS TO A WORLD CITIES PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT 40 MARKER??? I have psychology unit 3 tomorrow and i'm going to have to do all my last minute revision for geography tomorrow night and i could really really really do with some good resources on planning and management, please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elizabeth_rose14)
    For tectonics extrusive landforms (espically minor) hasn't come up yet so that could be quite likely
    June 11? Qn 2?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have a case study on japan 2011 earth quake and tsunami?

ReputationRep:
    I have a very reliable source within AQA who has strongly suggested that candidates should prepare essays on:

Tectonics: Intrusive and extrusive landforms
    Weather and Climate: The origin and characteristics of anticyclones
    Ecosystems: Temperate deciduous woodland characteristics and reasons for existence
    World Cities: Retailing and regeneration internationally
    Development and Globalisation: Trade groupings pros and cons
    Contemporary Conflicts and Challenges: How to control immigration and the issues it brings

Obviously, these MAY NOT come up, but it is likely they will.

Best of luck.
    If these were correct, surely if AQA found out they'd been made publicly available they would quickly change what was going to come up? A similar thing happened with Psychology unit 4 last year and they had to quickly bring out a reserve paper because the original paper was leaked.

Basically be careful, because even if these were completely true, if AQA were to find out they would definitely change the questions.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have been told, they are the 40 mark essays. They were the preliminary selections made by the board. Only once over the past 5 years have they changed the questions once the prelim. selections were made.
    How confident are you? Last year economic groupings came up as the 40 marker for development and globalisation?? You reckon they will repeat this??

Also how do u get hold of these prelim questions?

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone's predictions for tectonics 40 marker? I think it'll be on theory. Comment above thinks it'll be on Intrusive and extrusive landforms, but this seems out of sync with other 40 makers? What could they even ask about intrusive and extrusive landforms? (especially intrusive landforms as you can only list names for case studies)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllenJoseph)
    What's everyone's predictions for tectonics 40 marker? I think it'll be on theory. Comment above thinks it'll be on Intrusive and extrusive landforms, but this seems out of sync with other 40 makers? What could they even ask about intrusive and extrusive landforms? (especially intrusive landforms as you can only list names for case studies)
    Basically people think either Theory or Seismic activity and tsunamis
    I think it'll be on earthquakes but I'm hoping it'll be on the theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    Basically people think either Theory or Seismic activity and tsunamis
    I think it'll be on earthquakes but I'm hoping it'll be on the theory
    So Qwertyspider likely chatting ****, can you think of any intrusive/extrusive questions they could ask us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllenJoseph)
    So Qwertyspider likely chatting ****, can you think of any intrusive/extrusive questions they could ask us?
    hahah it can't be that as it opens no doors to be synoptic as all we were meant to learn is how to describe the features. No proper case study examples to be able to compare, no opening for discussion so doubt it.
    And if they were I doubt they would be many answers to that question as people would not want to do it and we'd just have to pray for low grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    went to a geography conference ran by the ex man who wrote the questions for the aqa geography exams and for Restless Earth he went in hard on making sure we revised earthquakes in extra detail, not sure if its any use to anyone but though i would share it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennyj10203)
    went to a geography conference ran by the ex man who wrote the questions for the aqa geography exams and for Restless Earth he went in hard on making sure we revised earthquakes in extra detail, not sure if its any use to anyone but though i would share it
    Amazing Thankyou! How about development and globalisation/ world cities?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 3, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.